Sign in to follow this  
MikeDixonUK

CFS3 Configuration won't save in Windows 7?

What ho!

I've switched from Windows XP to Windows 7 (which requires a 'clean install') so Over Flanders Fields needed to be installed again - however whenever I try to run a Mission in OFF after I install it I get a warning about the 'Config file being out of date, restart CFS3', or some such.

I've tried running CFS3 in Administrator Mode and XP Compatibility, and OFF in Administrator mode also - and have CFS3 patched to 3.1 prior to installing OFF (also I make sure to run vanilla CFS3 before I patch to 3.1, then again after I patch to 3.1 before installing Over Flanders Fields)

I've also tried reinstalling it with CFS3 and OFF on the C drive and also a few times with CFS3 and OFF on the E drive (external hard drive) but still get the same issue.

When I go to run the Config program in the Over Flanders Fields install folder I set the graphics set up to Custom Settings and change the slider settings - however whenever I exit and restart the Config program the graphics are always reset to Default Settings (I also make sure to close the config program by clicking on exit, and not clicking on the X, like it says in the install guide.)

I've even tried setting the Config editor to run as administrator and/or Windows XP compatibility, but neither of those get the settings to stick.

I should also note that the OFF and CFS3 disks installed and worked fine in Windows XP before I upgraded.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

What folder did you use for the CFS3/OFF install?

OFF works fine in Windows 7 so something it screwed somewhere ;)

If you installed to various places sounds like you may have some mix ups on folders or registry. Best to clean out all traces from all places before installing again. That includes registry (see FAQ) Answer 21

Make sure you updated properly BH&H then 2 patches for it , then HITR if you have it and it's patch.

Make sure it's the CFS3.exe in your "CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields" folder that you set the compatibility mode to.

Check you have not got more than 1 folder now with OFF installed to. Use the "Config Graphics" button in OFF "Workshop" to launch the cfsconfig instead.

Check you have no AV blocking the CFS3Config from writing to the app data folder check it;s log or try disabling. Using MSE by any chance ?

default:

C:\Users\YOUR LOGON NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

You can attempt a Reset CFS3 in the workshop see if that helps before the reinstall.

Thanks, Pol - I'll give it another try with all the tips you've mentioned.

(My Anti-Virus is AVG by the way.)

Oh the other important thing, mentioned in the FAQ, if you have trouble setting up graphics or controllers.. install DirectX 9!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d

AVG has been known to freak a little with OFF Manager in the past, so if the above doesn't work disable it temporarily and see if that works - not that it's Cfs3.exe but just a thought.

Mike,

One other thing I suggest you look at. Go to that directory Pol mentions above C:\Users\YOUR LOGON NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields and find the XML file called "ConfigOverrides". Right-click on it, select properties, and make sure it's not set to "Read Only". If it is, just remove that checkmark from the little box. Hit "Apply" and "Ok".

Unlikely that it's read only, but perhaps something odd happened to User Permissions somewhere along the way.

Worth checking I figure...

Cheers,

Parky

Mike:

Just a thought, when you change your sliders in workshops you do go to File, Exit. I read somewhere that if you exit via the red "X" your configuration will not be saved

Tony

Thanks chaps, managed to get it to work! :good:

I did a windows search for the ConfigOverrides file and found that there was a second folder from my previous install, made by the 'Windows Easy Transfer' program when I moved from XP to Windows 7, so I deleted that folder and it's started working again now.

On top of that I even managed to resurrect my DiD Pilot from my previous install on Windows XP - and managed to fly a campaign mission with him.

And to top it all off I got 8 kills confirmed from the last few sorties when I was on Windows XP! So all good! :drinks:

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Oh yes...Easy Transfer....nothing easy but the name!