Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Sony PS3 customers watch out!

That is why you get a Xbox360. With xbox live you get what you are paying for.

Is it likely that the XBox could suffer the same fate?

I think that any company that these hackers target can not do anything to stop the initial attack. If a hacker wants to damage or destroy a system then they will. What makes the difference is the damage limitation capabilities of the company. Sony's is obviously crap. I own a PS3 and have an online account in which my card details are stored. If they have been compromised then I will make sure I get every penny back

Mike

I doubt that xboxlive can be hacked this way. It is not setup the same way and everything on xboxlive is encrypted. That includes all personal information and so forth. What can happen and what we have seen on xboxlive is when a developer has theire own servers for the games then those can be hacked and phishing attacks are sent out to users that are playing that certain game. Basicly you get a message on your xbox while you are playing that certain game *caugh*Call of duty*caugh* and if you open that message your personal information can be stolen.

When it comes to these thing microsoft has the upper hand because they have much more experience in the online community field.

Im not going to turn this into a ps3 v xbox thread or mine is better than yours. Can you honestly see sony holding peoples information un-encrypted on their servers? Not only is that immoral but also illegal.

Like I said before if these hackers want to gain access to a system thers no firewall or encryption on the planet that can stop them. Check out their rap sheet here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

Mike

Im not going to turn this into a ps3 v xbox thread or mine is better than yours. Can you honestly see sony holding peoples information un-encrypted on their servers? Not only is that immoral but also illegal.

Like I said before if these hackers want to gain access to a system thers no firewall or encryption on the planet that can stop them. Check out their rap sheet here http://en.wikipedia....nonymous_(group)

Mike

Yes i can and it is true.

It seems that sony did not encrypt all of its data. Here is a conversation released by the hackers where they talk during the hack and they are suprised that the data sent is not encrypted( Chat log link )

If you take the proper precausions then you can have minimal damage done by hackers and such. Sony did not do this.

I am actually happy that Sony is getting sued. Money is the only language big corporations understand. Hopefully that will make them increase the security and i can sleep easily at night not worrying that i might loose money from my bank account.

Edited by xclusiv8

yeah you pay for 3 years and suddently the s**t got the 3 red lights.

big deal.

interesting - IF that is actually the conversation between the actual hackers then it shows they seem to have a lot of knowledge in certain technical areas and spend a lot of time monitoring network protocols in their spare time.

Potentially Sony have not implemented the basics - I have seen worse from other companies though - and yes determined enough groups can find ways around security measures even if it means getting on the inside!

Well that is an interesting convo. Didnt mean to sound a pissed at any of you guys. Im just pissed at sony. Thers alot of people who have put their trust in Sony to keep all this information safe and secure. Judging by that IM chat Sony's security is questionable at best.

Hope that my account details are safe

Mike

These are some very smart people, from reading the wiki thread on them. It's a shame they won't focus their attention on better causes for their skill.

I've only allowed my son to use gift cards on the PS3 online store. They've still got my email, but I hope that it all.

-S

I feel your pain MaverickMike. I hope my account details are okey aswell.

yeah you pay for 3 years and suddently the s**t got the 3 red lights.

big deal.

You do not pay for the xbox with your xboxlive subscription. Its not even related.

Yes the early xboxes had this problem but it is long gone. But I understand the frustration people have. I bought the xbox and the ps3 on launch and 3 years later the xbox breaks down. Thank god microsoft has a 3 year warranty on RROD. But then again my PS3 broke down aswell, got a new one =) So i am happy.

I feel your pain MaverickMike. I hope my account details are okey aswell.

You do not pay for the xbox with your xboxlive subscription. Its not even related.

Yes the early xboxes had this problem but it is long gone. But I understand the frustration people have. I bought the xbox and the ps3 on launch and 3 years later the xbox breaks down. Thank god microsoft has a 3 year warranty on RROD. But then again my PS3 broke down aswell, got a new one =) So i am happy.

no no no,you got all wrong.

i've brough an early xbox model (ok, not so early it has the falcon board).

got the live subscription for 3 years(it should end in next november) and somewhere 3 weeks ago i was about to get the knectick and the s**t got 3rl, i've asked M$ but they said my guarantee was expired and even if it still on time i would not be able to get a new xbox or so because im outside US, and only if i buy the national xbox (which costs 3 times the price of the american one) i would be able to fix it.

Well I had an email off sony last night to say that my account details 'could' have been taken and to monitor all transactions on my bank account, Apparently they have recruited some 'external' security companies to investigate the hack. On the link xclusiv8 posted above there is also a link to geohot's own blog. Makes for some interesting reading.

As far as consoles braking down goes. Iv experienced both the rlod (xbox) and the ylod (ps3). While my xbox was immediately replaced by the store i purchased it, my ps3 was out of warranty. Sony offered to fix it for £125. I told them to shove it. I was able to get another ps3 from some money brother owed me adn so far so good....

Mike

ps whether or not I continue to use the online capabilites of the ps3 remains to be seen. How can people trust sony after this episode

Is it likely that the XBox could suffer the same fate?

Of course it could... and has been hacked before.

Of course it could... and has been hacked before.

Never to this degree. Single accounts can be hacked but i have never heard of the whole thing beein hacked and whole databases taken.