Sign in to follow this  

I seem to be the only one saying this, and yet I can't be the only one who is having trouble with it. My computer isn't that recent, but nor is it totally out of date. The problem is simple and concerns models which do not have gradually decreasing levels of detail in the way that the stock models do.

The more recent models in particular are extremely complex, high poly-count files which look very good, but if they reduce the computer's graphics to the state of a slide-show the moment they appear in a historically credible number, then they won't get used. I have a hangar full of aircraft from all periods which simply do not fulfil the purpose for which they were built, namely air fighting. They slow the graphics down far too far. They may be all very well for flight simulation, but if that is what I wanted, I'd be flying FSX. The solution, creating lower LODs, may require more work on the part of the modellers I know, but it will be work which will guarantee the accessibility of their model to the greatest number of users, and that is surely an aim we all would share.

Having said this, I admit I can not use 3DS MAX myself, and wouldn't know where to begin. I am very grateful to those who do make us our models, and I greatly respect their work as I hope they respect mine. Consider this not as an attack - it most certainly is not meant as one - but as constructive criticism and encouragement which will make SF2, World War Two SF2 in particular, better and better.

For SF2 WW2 there two things that much be done in my understanding sereval LODs like you say and specialy this change Skins to DDS format its saves a lot of FPS also im work for SF2 i all have DDS skins.

True - as a rule on my own computer I don't use the 2048x BMP skins I make, but the 1024x versions instead. I don't use DDS unless I have to because of the loss of detail which is already bad enough...

But it is the models themselves that are the absolute killers...

truth is a lot of 3rd party models have only the highest (closest to viewpoint) levels of details, and with complex, detailed models it's impacting frametares BIG time -example being Veltro's Stirling -put a flight of four or five and it becomes unplayable -I had to remove it from my WW2 install :(

The close formation flying and generally WW2 tight formations (bomber boxes) and airspeeds play key role in it too -planes close to each other, slow (compared to jet era) relative attack/pass speeds, makes the high detail, frame impacting models much more often drawn on screen, many of them -the only solution is to ask the modder who made the model to do much lower poly secondary LoDs (not so easy, and highly unpropable, often the creator's source max file is AWOL or modder won't have time will etc to do so)

with modern GPUs with say >512 megs or VRam the skins format isn't that inportant

Unfortunately that's often the way, hence my post. It's easier to get people to do the LODs and so on while they are still working on the model than when they think they've finished!

You're right about planes being very close to each other, etc, etc... This is my early-War RAF Vic formation! If you can't keep your wingtip between the wing and the tailplane of your section leader, you don't belong in the Air Works!

One possible aid is to delete various unseen interior meshes in the DATA file...

For example, in one model, I went through the OUT file that the modder graciously provided and found some rather large polygon count interior meshes that are not normally seen and some that are seen a little but not from any distance. This is the "bpao" code in DATA file...

[AircraftData]

:

:

at the end of this block...

Component[xyz]=mesh name1

Component[xyz+1]=mesh name2

Component[xyz+2]=mesh name3

etc...

:

:

...then...

[mesh name]

ParentComponentName=Fuselage

ModelNodeName=mesh name_ok

DestroyedNodeName=mesh name

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

:

:

etc...and repeat many times if needed...the "_ok" seems to help, use it.

It gave me a significant boost, from 11fps to maybe 16fps, on this model. Not great but it does work somewhat.

Now with ATI-4850, this model does not bother me.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor