Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyG

Just got the game.....have a few questions.

Hi,

I have finally got OFF and got it installed without a hitch.

After a few abortive early campaigns learning how the game works and getting used to the quirky CFS3 interface, I finally have a guy who has survived a few missions in his Pup and has 5 Hun kills awaiting confirmation.

However, I still have a couple of questions re. the game.

How do you activate the straight & level autopilot I have heard about?

Can you manually clear gun jams, or is it automatic?

How do you reload guns in-flight (if possible)?

Also, on EVERY operational mission I have flown so far I have always encountered an enemy formation conveniently located along our flight path or over an objective......seems incredibly lucky to me. Does the mission editor always script that you'll encounter an enemy squadron on a mission? I hope not, I'd quite like to be able to put a "nothing to report" entry into the logbook instead of kill claims every flight.

Other than the above, great game!

Oh btw........are there any essential MODs I should get? (excluding the HITR expansion)

First off welcome to the mess new boy buys the drinks... and mines a coffee and a brandy thanks...

Okay for the Pup you cannot reload the guns in flight... as the real ones you couldn't do so with I think there is a key press for reloading the lewis gun on certain planes... as to clearing Jams best advice dont fire long burst use short bursts of a second or so... and as to the Straight and Level autopilot I don't think it works... never tried it to be honest I like to fly as real as I can get...

First off welcome to the mess new boy buys the drinks... and mines a coffee and a brandy thanks...

Okay for the Pup you cannot reload the guns in flight... as the real ones you couldn't do so with I think there is a key press for reloading the lewis gun on certain planes... as to clearing Jams best advice dont fire long burst use short bursts of a second or so... and as to the Straight and Level autopilot I don't think it works... never tried it to be honest I like to fly as real as I can get...

Yep, I know you can't reload the Vickers. Its just the planes with a Lewis gun I was wondering about.

Re. the auto pilot, I just want to know out of curiosity (and the fact I might want a cuppa mid-flight!)

Also, on EVERY operational mission I have flown so far I have always encountered an enemy formation conveniently located along our flight path or over an objective......seems incredibly lucky to me. Does the mission editor always script that you'll encounter an enemy squadron on a mission? I hope not, I'd quite like to be able to put a "nothing to report" entry into the logbook instead of kill claims every flight.

Unlike in so many other sims, the missions in OFF are not scripted. Depending on the year and sector, the front is full of other squadrons flying their own missions completely independently from your squadron. If you fly in 1918 or during the big offensives, there's more traffic in the air than in earlier years or more quiet sectors. Early war careers can be quite peaceful and enemy encounters are rare in them. And if you fly without any lables and the TAC screen, you will see even less aircraft. But they are there, trying to complete their missions, no matter if you see them or not.

Oh, and welcome! :drinks:

Welcome to the OFF skies JohnnyG! Find an empty bunk and stow your gear, then toodle on over to the officers' mess. New lads do indeed buy the drinks, and I'll have a black-n-tan and a bag of crisps, my good man.

:drinks:

Cheers!

Lou

Set your TAC to a smaller range, 2MN if I remember right is the SIA standard. I believe the key for shifting it is CTRL>SHIFT>T but someone please doublecheck me because I don't have access to OFF from here to make sure.

You get pulled out of warp whenever enemy aircraft are at a certain radius, which is pretty wide so you're very unlikely to spend an entire mission in warp.

This is NOT the same as coming in contact though. If you're engaging the enemy every time you go up it's probably because you have your TAC set to its maximum radar, get pulled from warp, then steer your way towards the enemy since you know exactly where they are. Right right? That's how it used to work out for me anyway.

I recommend you fly with the SIA standard, check the Survival in the Air discussion forum, you'll be happier. More realistic visibility settings = less contact with the enemy = fewer kills but longer and more satisfying careers.

Sorry if I missed it when I skimmed through these, but level autopilot is Ctrl+Shift+A. When you hit this the plane is gonna fly all over the place until it recovers to level flight in the direction you were headed, don't panic. I think Shift+A releases it. You can use this with the Ctrl+ Shift+E which will incrementally increase the speed up (2x,4x,8x, and 16x, I think) Ctrl+Shift+R will reverse the progression and Ctrl+X will cancel it.

If you get within 4nm's of an enemy the time warp and/or speed increase will automatically cancel, however I think you will have to manually turn off the Autopilot.

Just a note, don't use auto trim if you use the time warp, you will fall out of the sky, and if you use realistic engine controls, adjust your mixture before you warp or the engine will die if it comes out of warp at altitude.

You cant reload your machine guns, what you got is all you get. You can raise and lower the gun on the SE5 and the windshield on the N17 with Shift C,

Have Fun!

Beard

Welcome to this mad, campaign based sim. It's got a few quircks, but it starts to feel like the real thing after a few flights. One thing about using the TAC, like others have said, you can set your TAC detection radius smaller, but, you can also chose to not initiate a combat. If you have a height advantage and are over 2 miles from your bogey(s) they generally will ignore you. Choose your fights well.

Edited by Lewie

You can survive a damn long time if you're smart about it. Pick your fights carefully, guard your altitude, keep your head on a swivel (especially with limited or no TAC), keep an eye on your instruments so you don't miss a fuel leak or something silly like that. Also weave your way through flak and pray you don't get assigned to a balloon bust because those are murderous. Just don't lose your head and listen to the chaps around here and you'll reach the 17 hour mark no problem.

Welcome JohnnyG...make mine a Warsteiner if you please. :drinks:

I've been playing for only a month or so myself and let me tell you this is great fun. The guys here are really helpful (if you buy them drinks) and much can be learned by perusing these forums so good luck and happy hunting!

Edited by Shiloh

I've been around the world seven times but am feeling like a new guy here!

Lou - what is a "black-n-tan"?

Shiloh - "Warsteiner"? A micro brew I will presume?

Welcome to OFF, JohnnyG - I will also have a virtual WARSTEINER !

And if you send me a PM with your town and country, I will add you to our "OFF Forum Pilots Maps".

I've been around the world seven times but am feeling like a new guy here!

Lou - what is a "black-n-tan"?

Duke, a black-n-tan, or Black and Tan, is created by taking a tall pint glass and pouring in a nice pale ale until it is slightly more than half full, (a little foam is good for this so pour it a bit fast). Then, with a spoon held inverted over the glass, you slowly pour Guinness Extra Stout over the spoon until the glass is full. The black stout will sit on top of the tan ale, thus giving the concoction it's name. Quite delicious when you're in the mood for something a little different. Word of caution though: Despite the drink's name having nothing to do with the for-hire British troops who fought the Irish rebels in the 1920's, I still don't recommend you order this when travelling about Ireland. And I am NOT joking.

Johnny G,

I want Turkish Raki with ice on it :grin:

Safe Landings

Duke, a black-n-tan, or Black and Tan, is created by taking a tall pint glass and pouring in a nice pale ale until it is slightly more than half full, (a little foam is good for this so pour it a bit fast). Then, with a spoon held inverted over the glass, you slowly pour Guinness Extra Stout over the spoon until the glass is full. The black stout will sit on top of the tan ale, thus giving the concoction it's name. Quite delicious when you're in the mood for something a little different. Word of caution though: Despite the drink's name having nothing to do with the for-hire British troops who fought the Irish rebels in the 1920's, I still don't recommend you order this when travelling about Ireland. And I am NOT joking.

But luckily here in the states we have similar micro brew dark ales that could be used..:good: