Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System

Joystick shopping and leaning toward the Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System. For the money it looks pretty good and the reviews are, overall, very good.

Anyone have any negative comments about this stick and OFF?

Guest CNAF

The over all quality and user experience of that joystick is largely negetive.

The over all quality and user experience of that joystick is largely negetive.

Huh.

4.5/5 for 17 reviews per Google.

4 out 5 for 63 reviews at Amazon.

Where are you looking?

Edited by DukeIronHand

Guest CNAF

my own experience + lots of problems floating around in quiet a lot of communities

I got my X-52 Pro for $100 (special sale at GoGamer when X-52 Pros were just hitting the shelves).

It is far superior to the X-45.

Haven't really had any problems with it, but the centering spring design makes small movements a little sloppy when the stick is close to center.

But compared to the X-45, it is way smoother.

Saitek progamming software has always been a little buggy (been using it since 2000 with an X-36 USB on Win98SE), but the current release is fairly stable and gets the job done.

If you can get one for $150 or less, the price/performance ratio is pretty good.

Mine works as well as it did the day I got it and I have used it quite a bit over the years.

For $200, CH Products becomes a better option and for another $100 more you could gamble on a Logitech with force feedback.

If I had money to blow, I would get a Thrustmaster Warthog :)

Guest CNAF

Agree With Level 5

I own the basic X-52 and are happy with it. It is a bit sloppy in the centre, but considering my poor flying expertise that does not matter.

There have been some reports of problems with the stick binding as a result of a screw jaming but do not remember the issue too well.

In a lot of sims the throttle is is automatically assigned to the throttle slider and you have to manually assign it to the throttle lever. I have heard this is very hard to do in the new DCS A-10 Sim but as I do not own that I can not confirm.

I also own the CH stick, throttle and pedels. I hate the stick and throttle and never use them.

I would not get a Logitech stick as they break too soon. 2 for me so far.

I would buy another basic X52 if mine ever dies.

Cheers MarkL

Hmmmm...sounds kind of lukewarm here though the "price/performance ratio" thought is compelling.

Well does anyone have a suggestion for s stick in the $100.00 price range that I could look at?

I do know there are better sticks/combos but didn't want to spend $300.00+ at the current time.

EDIT: Yikes streakeagle!! Just went and looked at a Warthog. $475.00!

Edited by DukeIronHand

Well, with high-end HOTAS, you pretty much get what you pay for (notwithstanding the Thrustmaster Cougar that orignally cost quite a bit AND needed aftermarket mods to fix its shortcomings raising the cost to the $800-$1000 level). I have had Saitek X-36 USB, X-45, and X-52 Pro. All of them are still operational, but the X-36 is not officially supported in Win 7. The insides of the X-52 Pro in terms of X and Y axis are much better than most until you get to the Warthog and Logitech G940. The G940 has far more problems than any Saitek stick I have had and costs a lot more, so I would not even consider that an option unless Force Feedback is really important.

Given that I can't afford a Warthog right now, there are only two useful choices for a HOTAS: Saitek or CH Products.

I don't like the F-16 style stick of the new Saitek. Doesn't interest me at all.

So I have din't have a stick right now, the only two I would even consider are the X-52 Pro and the CH Products Fighter Stick.

I could afford a CH Pro, but I much prefer the ergonomics of the Saitek sticks over the CH Pro, especially the throttles.

So, from my perspective, there is only one stick I would buy: the X-52 Pro.

There is a Thrustmaster that has advanced internal components, but I don't want a stick that isn't optimized for flight sims both in terms of appearance and functionality. Aside from the Cougar and the Warthog, Thrustmaster products seem to be about as good as common Logitech sticks. The Saitek products were progressively becoming worse as the X-45 and X-52 looked more and more like some kind of kid's space toy and used cheaper and cheaper components compared to the X-36 USB. If the X-52 Pro had not provided a "black" stick with high-end analog axis components, I would be flying with a Figther Stick right now.

Thank you for your thoughts streakeagle.

X-52 Pro it will probably be then.

I could spring for the more expensive stuff I suppose but then I would be in the doghouse for a while with the other half.

She thinks OFF is just a "game". Silly woman! :yikes:

Joystick shopping and leaning toward the Saitek X52 Pro Flight Control System. For the money it looks pretty good and the reviews are, overall, very good.

Anyone have any negative comments about this stick and OFF?

I've used just about every brand on the market but have been a Saitek guy for the last 12 years. I've been using the X52 for the last 2-3 years and have no mechanical or electrical complaints with it. And for me, that's a LONG tine for a joystick to last. I usually wear them out, no matter who makes them, in 2-3 years but my X52 is still going strong. And in terms of functionality and ease of use, it is BY FAR the best bang for the buck out there.

My 1 major complaint with the X52 is that it abandoned the best rudder control ever invented (Saitek's unique under-throttle rocker bar, used on the X32 and X45 which I had previously) for the absolute worst (the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned twist stick). The only saving grace here is that the X52's twist can be physically locked off and you can use rudder pedals instead (mediocre option--costs more, takes up space, can't fly with your feet propped up on your desk or legs crossed anymore). HOWEVER, as far as pedals go, the Saitek pedals are better than those of CH and almost as good as my ancient serial port Thrustmaster RCS from like 20 years ago.

I've attached my profile for OFF (includes those for both pedals and X52) should you decide to purchase this excellent system.

OFF-X52.zip

Guest British_eh

Hi there,

After 3 years of hard use I got my second S 52.. love it as I have all the commands programmed in it. Pause, engine shut off, Ai attack,etc. ordinance, views. etc. Can't think of any other JS that offers so much in one system.

Cheers,

British_eh

Well, its on its way and will be here in time for next week which is vacation.

Got it from Provantage.com which was the cheapest of the reliable dealers.

Thanks to all for the input and help.

I own a Thrustmaster Cougar love it but the issue is u need Pedals seperate to the HOTAS and i have possible software issues. eg Lomac i cant play the game not matter how much i fiddle and reprogram it. the assigned buttons and throttle are just giving me hassles. When i play Strike Fighter series games then i have no issue with the HOTAS at all...

Sadly as much as i love the Cougar and how strong it feels i am forced to move towards Saitek as their software is alot more current, up to date and not really a hassle with any game from what i heard from Strike Fighters Community. some ppl are struggling with their Cougars.... Warthog is awesome incredible stick but after a couple of years i can see the same problem with it like the Cougar... software and driver issues even if u used profiles. Saitek 52 Pro is the way to go its alot more user friendly and a great HOTAS....

I have used the X52 for 3 years are so. Somewhere along the line I blew the pinky switch, but if you are flying OFF its no big deal. The sloppiness can be corrected by putting a spacer on top of the spring, between the spring and the handle. I made mine out of the top of a plastic 35mm film can. Just cut it to look like the letter C and slip it over the shaft. It makes the stick feel much firmer. Pair this with a set of Rudder Pedals and you are good to go. Never liked the feel of twisty sticks and you can lock the X52.

Beard