Sign in to follow this  
NeverEnough

FE2 On Sale For $19.99

I was spinning my wheels trying use FE1 with Windows 7 64 bit, and took a look on Thirdwire's Store to see what FE2 was selling for. It is currently priced at $19.99, reduced from $29.99, which makes it ridiculously cheap and absolutely senseless not to upgrade. I'm not sure how long TK has had FE2 at the reduced price, but for those interested in taking advantage of the the new shaders and and improved frame rates available with DX10 this should be an especially easy sell!

I was spinning my wheels trying use FE1 with Windows 7 64 bit, and took a look on Thirdwire's Store to see what FE2 was selling for. It is currently priced at $19.99, reduced from $29.99, which makes it ridiculously cheap and absolutely senseless not to upgrade. I'm not sure how long TK has had FE2 at the reduced price, but for those interested in taking advantage of the the new shaders and and improved frame rates available with DX10 this should be an especially easy sell!

Done it already and glad I did, despite already having FE1 and running it fine on vista 64 bit. FE2 is a must-have for any serious WW1 airwar fan.

Thanks for the heads up. Been playing heaps of OFF (when I can get it to run properly), and I figured I could always use more WW1 sims :D

One of the best things about FE2 versus FE1, was the doubling of FPS on my PC, since FE2 is designed for multi-core CPU's versus FE1 being designed for single core CPU's.

Well, I just have it installed. For some strange reason I have more framerates in FE1 than FE2, and I have a Quad core I7 with Win 7 64 bits (the GPU is not very good, Nvidia Gt 230 1536 Mb). Maybe a driver issue?

Well, I just have it installed. For some strange reason I have more framerates in FE1 than FE2, and I have a Quad core I7 with Win 7 64 bits (the GPU is not very good, Nvidia Gt 230 1536 Mb). Maybe a driver issue?

I have an older quad (Q8200) and a lesser GPU (9300GS) and I got a modest increase between FE and FE2. To compare the two, I suppose, the grahics settings need to be the same in both, IIRC you can push them higher in FE2 like horizon distance. If my FPS were worse in FE2 the first thing I would make sure is that my shadows were still set on 'Medium', 'High' hits the FPS hard even in FE2 and 'Unlimited gets those nice moving in-cockpit shadows but stutters badly at times (when the ground shadow is also visible, per TK).

one thing is that while FE2 is better in just about every way to the original some of the add on aircraft have very strange visual defects that only the original creator can fix.I'm thinking of going back to FE1 until a work around can be found. :(

In fact there is nearly double framerates, and with nearly same settings (I think unlimited effects, to make use of DX 11)

one thing is that while FE2 is better in just about every way to the original some of the add on aircraft have very strange visual defects that only the original creator can fix.I'm thinking of going back to FE1 until a work around can be found. :(

whiteknight, can you describe the kind of starnge visual defects you're talking about? I am building my planes in FE1 and I want to make sure they run in both versions.

when a part in max has "no material assigned" it shows up a a ghostly white.it cn be seen through any solid parts of the aircraft.

After more testing it seems the lower framerates in my system is caused by the unlimited effects. Lowering them to high I have much better framerates. Now it's time to add new sky, effects, tiles, terrains, objects, planes......

when a part in max has "no material assigned" it shows up a a ghostly white.it cn be seen through any solid parts of the aircraft.

If the part that has no material assigned is not a visible or essential part of the external view, you can use this to eliminate it. Add this as the last component in the aircraft's [AircraftData] section.

Component[xxx]=Move1

[Move1]

ParentComponentName=(whatever the parent component in the out file is, fuselage, etc.)

ModelNodeName=(the name of the offending component from the out file)

DestroyedNodeName=(the name of the offending component from the out file)

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

If you don't have the out file, you can use a hex editor to see what the component is.

Edited by Heck

will that work for moving parts?I have tried with the ini "tweeks" to remove the parts but it will not work on the moving parts only the ones that are not animated.

this is what I have found so far.That the methode heck described won't work on the fast and slow prop pivots.either it won't work or I'm a bonehead.I have tried adding decals to the offending parts and that SEEMS to work.It seems to work but only if all the planes in the squad are using the same skin.I find this odd so I'll be doing more tests.