I've been working With Wolf's Bf-109F and struggling with one odd problem. It skitters / veers to the side at low speed during landing and take-off. This is flying manually, by the way. I've poured over the data.ini file looking for unequal values. It's been driving me crazy! And then, just now, I saw this...

It seems this is the problem. One leg is too long. Anyway to fix this?

post-26185-0-45637300-1305500482.jpg

Edited by ShrikeHawk

have you adjusted the rolling radius and the shock spring and damping??

(btw, this is a MAJOR issue on just about all 1stGens built prior to 06, and many built later)

wrench

kevin stein

as wrench says...look at the main gear entries for left and right u\c and check the numbers match up...in bothas below...

[LeftMainGear]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=5.0

AnimationID=2

DragArea=0.50

HideGearNode=FALSE

ModelNodeName=MainGearStrut_L

InsideNodeName=LeftGearWell

ShockAnimationID=-1

ShockStroke=0.15 <<< check this same other gear

SpringFactor=6.0 <<< check this same other gear

DampingFactor=2.0 <<< check this same other gear

WheelNodeName=MainTyre_L

RollingRadius=0.449

CastoringWheel=FALSE

HasBrakes=TRUE

BrakingCoefficient=0.75

RollingCoefficient=0.05

MaxDeploySpeed=128.61

MaxLoadFactor=6.0

Thanks fellas. This is helping. Both sides were (originally) exactly the same. I have to set them unevenly to get the plane balanced. Very strange, but oh well. Now it's a matter of fine-tuning.

that means the mirrored faces of the meshes are not perfectly aligned ... you'll find many occurances of this on older models. 06 level games (and eariler) were a bit more forgiving, methinks

wrench

kevin stein

It could also be the shock orientation. Does the strut compress in the correct direction (i.e. up) on the right hand side?

Finally got this as near to acceptable as I can. It's still a bit squirrelly, but the BF-109 was like that in real life.

I thought had to set the values unevenly to make the plane rest evenly. That worked but take-of and landing were still uncontrolled. Eventually, I found settings that could be equal on both sides and also correct the extra long right landing gear. Here are the old and new settings.

ORIGINAL

[LeftMainGear]

ShockStroke=0.20

SpringFactor=2.0

DampingFactor=2.0

RollingRadius=0.292

[RightMainGear]

ShockStroke=0.20

SpringFactor=2.0

DampingFactor=2.0

RollingRadius=0.292

Even though the values are equal, this produced a right gear that was too long and uncontrolled handling on the ground above 40Kts.

So I looked up Migbuster's guide to correct the right gear. No matter how much I adjusted the rolling radius it wouldn't move the wheel "out of" the tarmac until I adjusted the shock stroke to a very low value. Incidentally, you shouldn't adjust shock value below 0.01. The plane and the AIs will just flip over and blow up. Eventually, adjusting the shock stroke to the same low value AND the rolling radius to the same lower value got the result I wanted with balanced values. Here's the new settings.

MODDED

[LeftMainGear]

ShockStroke=0.02

SpringFactor=2.0

DampingFactor=1.0

RollingRadius=0.279

[RightMainGear]

ShockStroke=0.02

SpringFactor=2.0

DampingFactor=1.0

RollingRadius=0.279

This is still not perfect. Spring factor adjustments help, but unequal ones cause spontaneous bouncing in one direction. So prefer to keep them at the original setting. The plane still veers a bit, but at least it's controllable with rudder adjustments. The AI are able to take off normally.