Sign in to follow this  
shredward

sort of on-topic

Geeze - crammed into a stinky steel box like sardines in oil!

I much prefer my Albatros!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=tWu1GyBLYAg

A slightly different version of the encounter than the one shown on History Channel, but interesting nevertheless.

Cheers,

shredward

Shall we have that in P4 then Ted? I've outgrown the bicycle and the Model T I'm afraid. :grin:

They are already in BHaH, Dej.

Shall we have that in P4 then Ted? I've outgrown the bicycle and the Model T I'm afraid. :grin:

Here's a video of the real thing a Omaka in EnZed.

And the FT-17 Renault at Rhienbeck..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU8HGs_GrRw&feature=related

Are they? As my copy only had the Model T and bicycle..

You can look, but you can't touch them in BHaH.

You can drive the car and the bicycle, but not the tanks.

The Renault looks like being built by a armourer, who had made knights' medieval armours before.

About each time I drive back to my parents, from Normandy to Ardennes, I make a short pause by this discreet nomument, once disuded for a long while, lost in the middle of the plains of Champagne. Here are displayed the names of all of the men who died in the French Tank Corps, classified by sections. The monument has been built near Berry-au-Bac, on the furthest point reached by the French tanks (Schneider and St-Chamond models) on 16 April 1917, day 1 of the bloody 2nd Battle of the Aisne, and day 1 for the French tanks - with some local successes, but many breakdowns and heavy losses.

Interesting point: the monument is surrounded by two steles with quotes that epitomize the history of tank during WW1. The first one, stated by Colonel Estienne (father of the French tanks), summarizes as soon as August 1914 what the future weapon would be: "Gentlemen, the victory in this war will belong to which of the two belligerents which will be the first to place a gun of 75 [mm] on a vehicle able to be driven on all terrain." The second one is the statement of General Ludendorff before the Reichstag, in August 1918, declaring that the war couldn't be won anymore, and that the first reason above all was the tank, which had been wrongly underestimated in Germany.

post-48840-0-25085900-1305810640.jpg

That Renault was truly a revolutionary tank. It was the first tank in operational use to have all the basic design features you can see in modern tanks too: a rotating turret on top of the hull, engine in the back and driver in the front.

It was a very successful design and was in service in many countries, even as late as WW2. But by then it was completely obsolete, of course.

I can only imagine what a shock it must have been for the Germans when they encountered tanks in battle for the first time, and they had no tanks of their own, or any decent anti-tank weapons. But the early tanks were very slow and unreliable and the cooperation between them and the other branches of service was so poor that they didn't decide the war as soon as they were used, as some people had hoped.

Good info, Capitaine Vengeur. I didn't know, that the tanks had played such an important role already in WW1.

Seems, that the Germans learned more from those early experiences though - their tank weapons in WW2

were very advanced. And the French Colonel Estienne had even predicted it.

You can't drive one though, Olham. Which is what I meant. I've not seen the AV in action in OFF, yet, either.

I did, Dej! I saw two British tanks moving forward to the middle of no man's land once. Not sure if they fired though.

I did, Dej! I saw two British tanks moving forward to the middle of no man's land once. Not sure if they fired though.

Sorry Olham, my bad, forgot the '7' in 'A7V'. That's the German Sturmpanzerwagen. I too have seen the British landships in action on the Front, but never the German ones.

Okay - shall we both look out for them?