Sign in to follow this  

Hello All,

This question goes out to those who are using GIMP for skinning on aircraft. I have tried and read on how to make silver or metal color for aircraft skin. I am unable, so far..., to get the sliver color that I want?

Can someone who knows how to make the silver color using GIMP share their knowledge on the forum?

Thanks

i pull up another image with the color i want and use the eyedropper to copy the color. if you click the square showing the color in use you can tweak it a bit with an editor that comes up. as for just creating a color i am not so sure but those are the methods i myself use

It's a normally done by using a light grey and then using very high specular and reflection settings in the textureset.ini but engine nozzles (or similar parts) can be given more of a burnished effect by using the gradient brush with a little bit of what you fancy (purple, gold, silver) using 1-5% opacity on top of your base colour and building up a suitable distressed effect.

ace888 I'll try and get the layer I used in the Thunderwarrior later on today. That's what I used as well as what was mentioned for the texturelist.ini

try light grey with a tiny bit of blueish tint in it:

214,220,226 in RGB for example

My Friends,

Thank you very much for all of your inputs and knowledge sharing. I will have to try all of them to learn a new method on 'colors.'

Anymore information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again...

Ace888

You just have to play around with it. Most of the metal skinned planes in the stock game are just 10% or 15% black. After you add overlays, white noise, and other effects it starts to look like metal. You can also add a blueish tint to it, but keep in mind that if you set the reflection mapping in the .ini to 1.0 or .9 it will already have a bluish tint to it. You can always just copy existing skins and cut and paste a portion of the skin to something you like and then modify that to suit your needs.

Thanks DanW

I will be practicing on the skin...

Guys,

I am asking these questions without much thought...?

Once you have establish a color close to silver or some form of metallic color (via) using overlay of colors and changes in opacity... Is the TRUE color can only be seen after you adjust the 'Specular' and 'Reflection' via Testureset.ini?

Is there a specific specular and reflection number to use for the shinning silver or metallic color? Or you have to play with it to get the color you desire?

Spinners - what is a 'gradient brush?'

Ace888

Is there a specific specular and reflection number to use for the shinning silver or metallic color? Or you have to play with it to get the color you desire?

Well you might want to start with these numbers and see how they work out

Specular=1.000000

Glossiness=0.500000

Reflection=0.800000

They are from the stock Mig-17 Soviet Silver skin.

Here are some of my natural silver skins.

I use in the textureset.ini:

Specular=1.0000

Glossiness=0.600000

Reflection=1.500000

and i use over the metal 2 colors (one a lil bit darker)

a "rusted" layer it looks then so:

T-33A.jpg

Thunderstreak.jpg

F-80C.jpg

thunderstreak1.jpg

For me that looks best, it took a long time till i found the best work together between

the colors, rust and ini entries....

Keep in mind that specular maps can also use color. I haven't messed with it, but you could technically add some bluish tint to your specular maps if you so desire that effect.

Spinners - what is a 'gradient brush?'

From memory, select normal brush then ' colour from gradient'. Experiment... you won't break anything!

To all the Experts!

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I am on a trip.. unable to test anything on an aircraft. I have been testing the looks of it using the GIMP program on my laptop.

I have been using a medium grey as background and base color. Using the selection of 'Color- colorize' and 'Filter- noise/RGB noise. I think I have come up with a silver color? Looks good on a .bmp format but unable to test it to see if it will look proper on an aircraft?

I have also try multi. layer format. Bacground- base color (grey)- black- white- base color (copy#1 with about 54 opacity)- base color (copy#2 with about 50 or less opacity). The black and white are in different areas of the base color so to let it look like a different metal or silver finish on the skin. On top of all these, I did the colorize and noise/RGB noise to make it look better.

So, I am heading in the right direction?

I think I will know once I am able to test it on an aircraft.

Spinners - Thanks for explaining it to me.

drinks.gif

Thanks again

Ace888

Don't fear trying darker grays. The darker the gray, the more intense the "shine" or specular reflections.

Here's what I do, for metal...

Specular=1

Glossiness=0.1

Reflection=1

Note how dark some parts are, even on upper or sun facing areas, as they reflect light away from the viewer. Somebody else sees these dark parts as bright, for them.

gallery_6973_124_1396.jpg

med_gallery_6973_124_31289.jpg

btw, the SAC A3D was for decal experiments, and a fictional requirement for a *quick* fast Skywarrior conversion for high altitude Air Force use, unlike the much more redesigned B-66.

I've found that the Textureset I use washes out skin details or skin paintings, so I always use decals, hence the experiment with vertical tail checker decal.