Sign in to follow this  
Lewie

Not so OT; Post up WWI period Youtube vids thread

I found this short little clip, since Mike's video's got me interested in 'arry Tates I thought I'd celebrate these venerable old workhorses.

{youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0YB_fwVlkQ&feature=related

Notivce how easily the RAF 4A lights off when they get ready to leave.

Let's post up a bunch of old WWI aircraft videos..

Good thread idea Lewie. This used to be on Youtube but has since been taken down for reasons surpassing understanding. I've used this clip many times while teaching my students on WWI. Seems to bring the topic home to them.

http://sonicbomb.com/xv1.php?vid=ww1_ht&id=548&ttitle=WW1%20-%20Hell%20in%20the%20Trenches&s=80&w=700&h=400

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Interesting little clip, Lewie.

Anyone know what they were actually doing with those bombs - and why they looked like they are in backwards (ie with the fins/stabilisers facing the front of the plane?) - apologies for my ignorance if this is common knowledge for you WWI aviation veterans. :cool:

WW2 and later had the fuse spinners in the rear between the fins, which afforded them a little bit of protection. They learned this by experience, one crash landing gave them the hint, but it always takes awhile for the army to enact a suggestion'

Afterall; there are three ways to do anything. The right way, The wrong way, and the ARMY way

You have to also remember that Dr. Gros of the French Army was the developer of the two component Gasoline-Aniline explosive aerial 'safety' bomb that was adopted by nearly all of the Entente forces after its introduction in 1916. Before this, the French in particular, were using retro fitted with fins, artillery shells. There were a number of horrific accidents involving the 155mm shell being fitted up to aircraft. So the French army did eventually get it right. But the Gros bomb had other problems, one in particular was the aniline agent leaking past the seals and stinking up the cockpit, nauseating the crews. Still it was the first real attempt to address the need to make a bomb that stayed relatively inert until it hit the ground.

Edited by Lewie

And from the History Channel the series 'From Flying Coffin to Gladiators of the Skies' which has much in the way of archival film

And from the archives on Youtube from PublicRescource.Org. Newsreel film clips from WWI. Some RNAS Hydroplane operations.