Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Multi/sub-object materials in Max?

pardon my ignorance but it there a way to have multi/sub-object materials exported from Max11? I used all the standard 24 slots in Max Material Editor (all standard bitmap materials, some with alpha for transparency or self-illumination maps) but when applying the multi materials on meshes they export as black using latest exporter..? :dntknw:

Also using standard baking creates shell material with both original one and baked so doing experimental baking resulted in whole (cockpit) mesh black sans glass

anyone..? :dntknw:

Sorry, just a quick question. Are you trying to apply multiple textures/materials to the one mesh/object?

If so, I have never been able to do that and as I understand you can only have one material per mesh.

If you need more material slots, you could always combine some textures provided that the thought of re-mapping the affected meshes won't drive you crazy... :blink:

Design docs say only standard material type is supported.

1. Material Type

The only material type recognized by the exporter is the Standard Type.

Dels, only one material per mesh, multimaterials are a NOGO. Yeah, seems I'll have to do this the hard way, combine the dials materials to one .tga file and remap the gauges, will give me 4 more slots for needed others.

I usually prefer to have more smaller bitmaps than fewer large ones, but this seems to be the only way.

Edited by Stary

Yes the max material editor only has 24 slots but the actual amounts of materials you can have in your scene is unlimited. If you run out of slots, just pick one and reset it with the "X" buttom and make sure you check "apply to material in editor only". And when you need to edit a material, that's what the eyedropper is for.

spot on Jules! :clapping:

that's the easiest way, see you learn something new every day :yikes: