Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Which key command for gunsight?

Programming my new joystick and am a bit lost.

On my old stick (Logitech 3d)a thumb button pulled up a gunsight view (i.e. looking down my MG's from the cockpit)that I didn't need to program so I am not sure which command it was.

Now I am looking at the OFF key command card and I am not seeing anything obvious for this view.

Anyone know the key card name for it?

Thanks in advance.

For me default is F6. Never had a mind to change it, plus I don't use the gunsight view.

Hmmm...interesting.

F6 is not on my OFF key card so that may be it.

Hope this is not the "Wonder Woman" gunsight!

Must be getting old.

On my 4th check of the card I found the F6 for "Go to Pilot seat".

Hardly intuitive! Guess that's why it didn't jump out at me.

Thanks TSmoke

You are apparently correct uncleal because when I am in the "gunsight" view TrackIR does stop working...which ain't a bad thing in this view.

It also explains an annoyance with this view and that is when used for single seat fighters it toggles the gunsight view then the cockpit floor then back to normal.

I have always wondered what the "cockpit floor" view was about - presumably its the "observer" view in a single seat scout.

Duke, with TrackIR, you don't really need the gunsight. You will be able to duck or crouch a little

to line up the enemy craft with your gunsight.

Even better: if you "learn" to know where the bullets fly. Since I mostly fly the Albatros, I have

developed a feeling for where to aim, to hit the EA.

Even deflection shots on ranges of 200 yards are possible. It takes a little time to get used to it,

but it's very rewarding.

Duke, with TrackIR, you don't really need the gunsight. You will be able to duck or crouch a little

to line up the enemy craft with your gunsight.

Ah yes...I have tried that a few times with TrackIR (wonderful thing that it is) but never really worked at it or used it long term.

I'll give it a try more often.

F6 toggles through vaious views available in the cockpit. The "cockpit floor" as you put is is usually Instrument view (some craft have instruments on the floor like fuel gauges or compass).

i.e. we aren't that insane, although often seem to be.

F6 toggles through vaious views available in the cockpit. The "cockpit floor" as you put is is usually Instrument view (some craft have instruments on the floor like fuel gauges or compass).

i.e. we aren't that insane, although often seem to be.

You are correct sir.

The "cockpit floor" view does show an instrument - the compass in the Alb D-series where I have done the bulk of my flying lately.

I thought it may be related to a lack of an observer in a single seater.

I presumed some CFS3 quirk but clearly you are on top of it.

Now, let's discuss the definition of "that insane"... :grin:

Edit: grammar

Edited by DukeIronHand

Good point insane is always relative to something else ;)

The main reason I never use the gunsight view is precisely the views to get out of i and TrakIR doesnt work then.. Plus the zoom level is way to much for my taste. I'm like Olham use the old Mark 46 eyeball after a very short time you'll know where your rounds will hit.

I don't stick with one specific airplane so have to remember a few different views. My hit average runs from 28% in a DH2, 32-34% in the Pup, 34-36% in a Albatross D2 or3, my best and favorite is in the Noop 17 with the Vickers gun and my hit percentage is 42% average.

The Sopwith Camel has the instruments blocked by all of the MG hardware, I end up using the HUD function often times.

The Sopwith Camel has the instruments blocked by all of the MG hardware, I end up using the HUD function often times.

That was without TrackIR, I suppose?

Cause, with that little device, you can duck and bend and roll - you could even tie your shoes,

if you wouldn't be wearing those thick gloves.

:grin:

shoes ?!? surely you are wearing long wool-lined boots, Olham! :grin:

Easier just to use trackir or similar and duck and look around the cockpits.

Alternatives such FaceTrackNoIR would do too.

Indeed!

Once you try TrackIR you realize that its almost as indescribably critical as the joystick.

Makes me wonder what I did for all those years previous.

Oh - and I like the gunsight view.

That was without TrackIR, I suppose?

Cause, with that little device, you can duck and bend and roll - you could even tie your shoes,

if you wouldn't be wearing those thick gloves.

:grin:

Well untill I get the 3 LED cap made I'm limited to just two axis'. Sso I can't duck my head down at all. Which brings up a funny thing about Targetware's Richthofen's Skies, when I was making models for it, the pilot 3D mesh is one-sided, like it should be, but sometimes in the .acm file you'ld get the eye point placement off, and you would be looking out from the pilot's virtual chest or neck, which with mouse panning was a bit odd at times.