Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Post a Picture of your nicest Airfield

Do you know an airfield which you like very much? Or do you have a special nice screenshot from an airfield?

It can be a picture with your grounded aircraft, or a start or landing approach - however you want to present it.

Here is mine:

Phalempin airfield, home of Ernst Udet's Jasta 37 in September 1917

• Like 1

I like all the airfields in OFF...they are very atmospheric, indeed! :ok:

Right now, I only have these pics of Aniche, Flandres, home of Jasta 23b, in early 1918.

post-10763-0-80331700-1306192346.jpg

post-10763-0-06467300-1306192379.jpg

I must admit though, I remember the most, another airfield of Jasta 23b in the Verdun region.

I don't remember the name exactly, St. Marts or something. It was placed in the most inappropriate place for an airfield...

It was dug into the ground, like been at the bottom of a bathtub...I may visit it again and bring back some pics.

I believe this is Morchingen where Jasta 32 is headquartered in Spring 1917 - Olham could probably confirm. If it's not then I flew over it on a mission. Some nice woods to hunt game between missions and a deep blue lake for swimming. :good:

cfs32011051223020563.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

I must admit though, I remember the most, another airfield of Jasta 23b in the Verdun region.

I don't remember the name exactly, St. Marts or something. It was placed in the most inappropriate place for an airfield...

It was dug into the ground, like been at the bottom of a bathtub...I may visit it again and bring back some pics.

That description sounds very much like my French 'Strutere' pilot's home field at Fere-en-Tardenois (Marne). Will post a pic later.

OK, here is a photo sequence of a taking off procedure from the weird Saint Mard, aerodrome:

post-10763-0-25252200-1306222505.jpg

post-10763-0-98748500-1306222570.jpg

post-10763-0-45008000-1306222600.jpg

post-10763-0-47830600-1306222652.jpg

post-10763-0-84564900-1306222683.jpg

post-10763-0-98481600-1306222714.jpg

post-10763-0-31929900-1306222748.jpg

post-10763-0-71390500-1306222780.jpg

I have been in St.Mard, elephant - funny terrain! In the region north of Verdun

there is a very beautiful airfield situated on a high plateau; not sure if it was

Stenay; must go back and seek for it.

There is a lake and forrest at Morchingen , so it could be our field, Shiloh.

Edited by Olham

Fere-en-Tardenois, the Marne - home of Esc. SOP7, January 1917.

Not as 'walled-in' as Elephant's, but still doesn't tempt you to just let your kite 'fly itself off' . . .

post-63519-0-62851500-1306225249.jpg

Those fields may be more wind-shielded, but also colder grounds in winter?

They could flood them and use seapl... ah, forget the idea!

Definitely not the nicest but where I'm flying right now. Bertangles, home sweet home. Shots of another lovely day there.

Outbound:

Bertangles1.jpg

Inbound:

Bertangles2.jpg

Yo, No. 24 Sqdn, RFC!!! Been there, done that!

Surely an airfield for people, who like lots of company and to visit a different mess every evening.

Yes, No. 24 Sqn March 1916. One Eindecker claimed last night. Per ardua ad astra!

"Ad Astra" was on the Pups of No. 46 Sqdn, RFC - Arthur Gould Lee's squadron.

Aother shot of the airfield at Morchingen (Jasta 32) taken today following a mission.

cfs32011052410551674.jpg

I like RFC 71's and AFC3's home field of Bruay It's a bit closer to the lines but not so close as to have the insane Jasta visitations that Etrun gets near Arras. Seems like every third flight south from Bruay there's a few Albatros' harassing poor old RFC13. My two Camel jockeys have made their ace status from Etruns attraction to airfield attacks. I can see why my RE8 pilot with 'Lucky' 13 has become somewhat of an offensive two seater ace.

yup coming up...

For the most part looking towards the SouthEast, and the ill fated Etrun airfield. Plus there is ample hunting to the North, as the Hannoveren's like to do airfield attacks near constantly at the cluster of airfields and front-line Spotters surrounding Armentiers.

post-65486-0-44461400-1306265203.jpg

post-65486-0-13814600-1306265221.jpg

post-65486-0-63722500-1306265234.jpg

Edited by Lewie

"Ad Astra" was on the Pups of No. 46 Sqdn, RFC - Arthur Gould Lee's squadron.

Interesting tidbit, Olham. It's not visible in any photo I have of No. 46 Sqn Pups but I don't have photos of every one of them, of course, although they are painted up with a variety of names, etc (and I'm not implying it wasn't painted on them/some/one of them). Natural to use that, though, being Per ardua ad astra was the RFC/RAF motto. They just kept the "to the stars" part, then.

Well, before you take my word too correct - I saw it on the Pups in OFF.

I don't know, if the real life 46 Sqdn planes carried it. Maybe Lee's plane?

But in OFF, the Squadron's generic skin carries it.

Interesting tidbit, Olham. It's not visible in any photo I have of No. 46 Sqn Pups but I don't have photos of every one of them, of course, although they are painted up with a variety of names, etc (and I'm not implying it wasn't painted on them/some/one of them). Natural to use that, though, being Per ardua ad astra was the RFC/RAF motto. They just kept the "to the stars" part, then.

According to 'The Aerodrome', the OFF Sopwith Pup of No. 46 Sqn. bearing the serial number A'7333 was flown by Lt. S W Williams. I'm happy to believe the serial and pilot but I don't know the provenance of 'Ad Astra' on it.

You'd 'ave to ask the devs who it was what done da Sopwif Pup skins, innit.

The only named Pup I'm aware of ASGL flying was 'Chin Chow'

According to 'The Aerodrome', the OFF Sopwith Pup of No. 46 Sqn. bearing the serial number A'7333 was flown by Lt. S W Williams. I'm happy to believe the serial and pilot but I don't know the provenance of 'Ad Astra' on it.

You'd 'ave to ask the devs who it was what done da Sopwif Pup skins, innit.

The only named Pup I'm aware of ASGL flying was 'Chin Chow'

The 46 Sqdn generic is

A7333 (Engine No.2228/WD7855) At AAP Coventry 24.3.17, allotted to Expeditionary Force; England to ARS 1 AD 5.4.17; 46 Sqdn (named 'AD ASTRA') 14.5.17; Flown back to England (Sutton's Farm) for HD detachment with Sqdn 10.7.17 and back to France 30.8.17; Left on OP to Menin 09:30, shot down in combat, last seen over Linselles 10:30 3.9.17 (Lt SW Williams PoW) ["Sopwith" claimed in combat east of Wervicq 10.30 by Ltn O Fruhner, Jasta 26?] [or Obltn Oskar Freiherr von Boenigk, Jasta 4]

The Sopwith Pup, J.M. Bruce, Gordon Page and Ray Sturtivant

Sandbagger did the skin.

Cheers,

shredward

Edited by shredward

Bugger! Another book to get.

Cheers Ted.

Okay, it was a single plane and not a squadron motif. Thank you guys for the info!

Given such irrefutable provenance though, does lead one to wonder, why that particular Pup should be the generic skin for No. 46?

Given such irrefutable provenance though, does lead one to wonder, why that particular Pup should be the generic skin for No. 46?

Coz it wuz kool

...like that Nieuport 24 I once shot down - it had "Pol" written on it.

(To be precise: I shot it down FIRST - before reading that. Not BECAUSE it carried "Pol".

I only saw it, when I paused and circled round the craft in external view, for a screenshot).

:grin: