Sign in to follow this  
Olham

How much would you invest into an upgrade for P4 ?

How much would you invest into an upgrade for P4 ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you invest into an upgrade ?

• You can't invest any money into an upgrade
    • 150 Dollar / 100 Euro or Pound
    • 200 Dollar / 150 Euro or Pound
    • 250 Dollar / 180 Euro or Pound
    • 300 Dollar / 210 Euro or Pound
    • 350 Dollar / 250 Euro or Pound
    • 420 Dollar / 300 Euro or Pound
    • More - I will buy a new rig
    • You think an upgrade is not necessary

Selfexplaining question, I think. Remember, the Poll is anonymous.

Edited by Olham

With the economic situation in Greece, I have to pass this poll... :this:

Okay, elephant, now that you say that, I have added that point.

I really wonder, where the world economics are going.

They urgently need to get reformed, but how, and by whom?

New Rig vote for me.

I am due anyway but to run P4 maxed out is my goal so I guess that vote is valid.

I'm going to get a completely new rig later this year in any case, so that's what I voted.

Flight sims can be an expensive hobby.

I just upgraded my video card and CPU so I'm hoping this will get me in the game with P4. I do plan on an upgrade a year from now but for now, hopefully my current rig will suffice. I'm not so convinced that P4 will require an upgrade for most people. With some series like Total War as an example, later versions run more efficiently because the code is cleaner. We'll see.

With the economic situation in Greece, I have to pass this poll... :this:

With the economic situation in Portugal, I have to pass this poll... :this:

New rig every time, the only thing is I spent 6-12 months deciding what I want and who to get to build it, and then by the time I commit to buying it the price has dropped.

I also aim to future proof for hopefully the next 3-4 years with each new rig I get, and the old ones either get passed down the family or to a friend.

Edited by Rugbyfan1972

With the economic situation in Portugal, I have to pass this poll... :this:

Dammit - I could kill the bank managers!!!

While you're at it, save some bullets for the corporate ogres who are taking all our jobs to China and elsewhere. :butcher:

I have to wonder why we are asking this when Po stated in his update thread that P4 at this stage was running pretty well on a system he's using for P3. :dntknw:

I suspect they will find some things that make it run well on machines that are adequate for playing P3, we will still have detail sliders, right?

Yep, that may be right, Lewie. I just wanted to know, where everyone stands.

May also help the devs with decisions about hardwarehungry developments, I thought.

But if it won't be more "hungry" than P3 - even better.

Yep, that may be right, Lewie. I just wanted to know, where everyone stands.

May also help the devs with decisions about hardwarehungry developments, I thought.

But if it won't be more "hungry" than P3 - even better.

Well in some of my 'other sim' development you find that sometimes that draw calls for images and mapping for 3D shapes, especially if these are a bunch of numerous and separate little image files, can slow down frame rates on even more than adequate machines. This is part of why a lot of 3D artists started working with what is called 'texture atlasing' which takes the bunch of smaller files and combines them into a larger mega file that might have special compression programming, or predirection tags for certain shapes or particle effects.

I notice that OFF uses .sm files for the static ground objects, which are what OpenPlaneStudio uses. But they don't open on OPS so they might be a special compressed version of this file. There is all sorts of little tricks to get games with vast amounts of details and resource hungry effects to run better

Don't worry. Next will be Spain and maybe Italy. I sincerely hope to be wrong.

Maybe the OFF development team could create a squadron made up of bank managers that are "neutral" and any country can engage them after looking at our account balances. :dntknw:

I have to be perfectly honest and say. I wouldn't upgrade specifically for OFF

If I were to upgrade (which we all do from time to time)...It would have to be for more than one reason

I also do not plan on upgrading. So far my flying kit is working fine, (knock on wood), and I am hopeful it will push P4 as well as it pushes P3. I am further hopeful it will run 'Cliffs of Dover' when that new offering is finally sorted out.

My system, which was near top-end a few years ago, is now showing its age. Unfortunately, I cannot afford an update based on my part-time teacher's salary.

Of all the computer games that are out there, why oh why did I have to like flight sims the most! :cry:

Perhaps OFF P4 will not be much more demanding, HPW.

:heat: I have already invested in a new rig so I am tapped out moneywise. However, if I hadnt upgraded recently I would have for P-4 :good::drinks:

Thanks, Olham. I can always hope!

P.S. To OBD: Don't skimp on the quality just to keep the sim within certain specs. We will all adjust somehow!

A timely thread for me. I just built a new computer for off plus I want to try ms fsx and maybe rof.