Sign in to follow this  
tranquillo

Joystick Woes

I've got a Thrustmaster T1600M and it's been just great on my win7 machine. Just lately though it's been a problem.

I start TrackIR and use the button on the joystick that I've set to "centre" to check all is OK. Start OFF. Start my mission and during my flight my stick suddenly fails to work resulting in an aborted mission. When exiting OFF and checking in "devices", although my stick is shown none of it appears to work. If I then unplug it and plug it back in and recheck in "devices", all is well. It then cuts off again later.

I'm at my wits end with it. All my other USB devices work in all of my ports so this leads me to suspect the stick itself - maybe a faulty connection somewhere?

If I can't get this resolved then I need another stick and I'm reluctant to get another of these.

Can anyone recommend a good, mid-priced stick? It needs to be compatible for win 7 64bit, left-handed or ambidextrous, and a twist stick.

All help gratefully received.

my choice is saitek cyborg evo force. maybe there is meanwhile a newer model of them, i don't know. but they are great and you can switch it for both hands.

btw. some months ago we all here found out how many disproportionate lefthanders we have here, me included (strangely just in sports i'm righthanded).

so in real all of us southpaws would have a tough time to fly a crate with the cockpit as it is, as long as the throttle etc. isen't mirrored. :blink:

(strangely just in sports i'm righthanded).

Yes, I play cricket right handed, tennis left handed, I use scissors right handed (just as well considering how difficult it is to get left handed ones). I also have been unable to find left handed locking forceps but, again, I can use right handed ones OK.

But, alas, the joystick can only be left handed which limits the options considerably.

Thanks for the tip, Creaghorn, I'll have a look at that one.

It may be worth checking to see if this in fact a software issue. I would reinstall the software for the JS as a starting point to rule that out before investing in a new one.

Funny - I am lefthanded, but I need to control the joystick with the right hand.

uncleal, I'm not bothered about having FFB but I take your point - it seems that Saitek have very little range now.

Shiloh, the problem is that when I first got the JS and plugged it in, win 7 found its own drivers so I didn't have to load any software.

I might download the win7 software from Thrustmaster and try that but it suggests removing any previous drivers first. I'm not a PC dummy by any means but I wouldn't know where to look for the current driver.

Aah, just looked at the driver details in "devices" ansd discovered that "no driver loaded or required". So looks like I can try the official drivers??

Edited by tranquillo

Funny - I am lefthanded, but I need to control the joystick with the right hand.

I did try that once, Olham, but I just couldn't get my right hand to accept a joystick. It was most unnatural. You're very lucky.

Check if your rig has enough spare power to supply all of your USB devices. Sometimes they fault because of a lack in power supply.

uncleal, I'm not bothered about having FFB but I take your point - it seems that Saitek have very little range now.

Shiloh, the problem is that when I first got the JS and plugged it in, win 7 found its own drivers so I didn't have to load any software.

I might download the win7 software from Thrustmaster and try that but it suggests removing any previous drivers first. I'm not a PC dummy by any means but I wouldn't know where to look for the current driver.

Aah, just looked at the driver details in "devices" ansd discovered that "no driver loaded or required". So looks like I can try the official drivers??

I would start at the manufacturer website for your JS and see if you find anything there.

If it first gets to work, but later suddenly fails to work, I wonder if it could be your AV program

stopping it, because it identifies it as "unauthorised program"?

Perhaps you stop your AV for the sim and try it then?

Edited by Olham

Check if your rig has enough spare power to supply all of your USB devices. Sometimes they fault because of a lack in power supply.

[/quote

I thought of that, Chamo, and disconnected all but trackir and the stick. They worked together before with just them connected but now I have the problem so I think power supply is adequate.

Olham, I've tried stopping my AV but it's still the same.

I can't find anything specific on the Thrustmaster website but I've downloaded the drivers and will install them and see what happens, It'll be tomorrow now 'cause it's my bedtime now. In the meantime, thanks for all the help so far - keep 'em coming. I'll crack this yet.

My woes continue. :suicide2: Downloaded the drivers from Thrustmaster.......no change. Works for a while then no response at all. After exiting OFF and opening "Devices" there is no response there either. The only difference this time was that just before it gave up whilst I was flying, the response to my input was delayed somewhat and then when it did respond it was with way too much movement :help:.

So, I'm still open to JS recommendations.

Have tried giving it a good douse of electrical contact cleaner? Has worked wonders for controllers I thought were dead

I too have a T16000M. 2 years of use and so far so good.

When your issue happens the green joystick light goes off, right?

Have you tried to plug into another USB port?

It really seems to be a problem in the device. You can also try to unplug all the USB devices and see if there's any change in the joystick behavior.

I'll try and get some electrical cleaner tomorrow and give it a go.

Funnily enough, Von Paulus, the green light doesn't go out, it's still on. I've tried it in all of my USB ports and no different.

At the moment the only other usb devices attached are my backup hard drive and TrackIR. The hard drive is switched off so that leaves TrackIR. I could disconnect that and see what happens if you think it's worth it.

It looks more and more like a new JS though.