Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Why cover wing struts in cloth?

Doing some reading (in fact reference the modeling thread here) and again I see mention of wingstruts being covered in cloth on some WW1 aircraft - specially in this case a SE/5.

Why cover struts in cloth in "real life" ?

The only thing I could think of is protection from the elements but I wonder at the utility of that versus paint or varnish.

Duke, it is only the cabane (center) struts that are fabric-wrapped on the SE5a and it is because they are are of composite construction: i.e. a steel tube through the middle with a formed wood leading and trailing profile, then wrapped with fabric, doped and painted. The steel tube was there to allow routing of the lines to the fuel and water tanks in the upper wing. Alex Revell and I had a rather lengthy discussion about this some time back over at the Great War Forum. Not sure though about other WWI aeroplanes with fabric-wrapped struts.

Duke, it is only the cabane (center) struts that are fabric-wrapped on the SE5a and it is because they are are of composite construction: i.e. a steel tube through the middle with a formed wood leading and trailing profile, then wrapped with fabric, doped and painted. The steel tube was there to allow routing of the lines to the fuel and water tanks in the upper wing. Alex Revell and I had a rather lengthy discussion about this some time back over at the Great War Forum. Not sure though about other WWI aeroplanes with fabric-wrapped struts.

Ah...that makes sense. Guess I need to pay better attention to what I am reading!

Edit: Re-read the two articles and you are exactly right RAF_Louvert...of course!...cabane struts only.

Edited by DukeIronHand

hee hee...every now on then the remaining neurons in me ol' grey matter work together in perfect harmony to retrive various bits of learned wisdom when I need it. Unfortunately, and more often than not, attempting to have them interact is akin to the task of herding cats.

Doing some reading (in fact reference the modeling thread here) and again I see mention of wingstruts being covered in cloth on some WW1 aircraft - specially in this case a SE/5.

Why cover struts in cloth in "real life" ™?

The only thing I could think of is protection from the elements but I wonder at the utility of that versus paint or varnish.

Do the struts get Cold ?

hee hee...every now on then the remaining neurons in me ol' grey matter work together in perfect harmony to retrive various bits of learned wisdom when I need it. Unfortunately, and more often than not, attempting to have them interact is akin to the task of herding cats.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I can relate to that perfectly!

Well I don't know about you but if I am gadding about at 12,000 feet or diving on the odd Jerry at 175 I do not wish a sick and snotty strut holding me up!!

I just can't figure where the chicken soup tank is in my SE/5?

If you look closely a a few of the early lattice tailed kites and the Nieuport V strutters there was quite a bit of fabric wrapping of wooden support struts. It's used to give the wood some strength against longitudinal splitting.