Sign in to follow this  
Rugbyfan1972

MFC71.dll missing

All,

I realise this is very off topic, but I have downloaded an mp3 bitrate change program, and when I try running it all I get is "MFC71.DLL missing". As I am running windows 7 (64-bit), and I cannot find any newish versions of the file, I am wary of downloading and installing an old version and possibly screwing up my copy of windows 7.

I have found the following on the microsoft website http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a05ce727-c5b5-4022-b7a0-d8861ce99209, but it is dated the 13/2/2007, which is long before windows 7 came out.

I have also read that it is flagged as a virus on kaspersky, which makes me a bit wary (or is it just kasperskey being an overprotective program)

If anyone else is running windows 7 and has this dll file running successfully on their machine with no problems could they please let me know so that I can install it without worrying.

I also have found an earlier version of it in my SH3 installation (datestamp 1/1/2005), could I copy that to my system32 folder or would I need the newer copy.

I have asked on here because I have a lot of faith in the technical knowledge on this forum and it has helped me a lot in the past.

I remebrer I needed this file for one oldish application, also on W7. No, don't be afraid, adding this dll to your system32 folder won't mess your system installation. Much more unknown to us, as end-users, is being added by "beloved" Microsoft and Google silent updates without asking :blink:

if you're cautious, that's up to you :good:

Old programs still need their old dlls. Apart from some major things like DirectX which has backwards compatibility many programs will need Visual C+ 2005 2007 2008 etc or whatever they were written to use. If you plonk that DLL in you may then find some other DLL is missing still , so you need to install another older version of .NET probably or google a lot to check. Easiest thing is to do a system restore backup point first, then copy in the dll to try.