Sign in to follow this  
Icarus999

Advice please -2 installs at seperate patch levels?

Hey guys, Ive been looking in the KB, and asking some questions but I do not understand how to have more than one instal of SF2E patched to different patch levels.

I have an heavily modded install that works great at the Feb 2010 patch level and I want to keep it as is because the newer patches ruin the clouds and have terrain fade issues.

However I want to have a separate install with Exp2 and the latest patch to start experimenting with the new patch and perhaps will merge this with the tomcat sim when it comes out.

The trouble with this would seem to be having separate mod folders and separate options ini files, that tell the game where to look for each patch levels mod folder

I did see a thread about moving your mod folder to a different location and leaving the options ini in the saved games thirdwire folder but it seems that I would need a second "thirdwire" folder named "something else" to have a separate patch level install.

Is anyone running multiple patch levels? Could ya help a brother out with a little advice:)

Edited by Icarus999

Hi Mate, When the May 2011 patch came out I had a similar thought. I don't think its possible though. Its limited by the fact that the options.ini has to go in the users/savedgames folder, I don't know of a way you can make a seperate install and point the game to put the option.ini somewhere else.

Ok here's how I got it setup:

Firstly, I don't use the Program Files folder.

I got all my games in C:\GAMEZ

So I start off with installing SF2, SF2V, etc. in proper order to get a full merged Jan2011 game.

These go in C:\GAMEZ\Strke Fighters 2

Be carefull you must have the older patched setup files from TW. Not the newly packaged May2011 installation files.

Then I rename C:\GAMEZ\Strike Fighters 2 to something like SF2.Jan2011.

This will be our Jan2011 patched core game folder.

NEXT, I start from scracth and install the games from May2011 setup files.

Again these will be installed in C:\GAMEZ\Strike Fighters 2

And this will be our May2011 patched core game folder.

Now here how I deal with the Mod Folders.

I put my various mod folders in C:\GAMEZ\SF2MODS

Then start replicating and installing various full mods under this. (Example: C:\GAMEZ\SF2MODS\Falklands)

Mdify the respective options.ini files inside my sf2mods to point here, and it all works good.

Only catch is, If I run a MOD using a Jan2011 patched game exe, then return and run a MOD from May2011 exe, some of the MOD files might be overwrriten by the game.

The game for some reason, goes out and extracts the stock aircraft.ini files on top of your MOD folder..

There's a workaround, by renaming your MOD folder once, after a switch from running the different Patched Core gane file.

In summary, it's not easy to setup and maintain. But it's possible.

I don't enjoy it, unfortunately the latest patch has pushed me to keep them like this for a while..

Edited by PureBlue

Ok here's how I got it setup:

Firstly, I don't use the Program Files folder.

I got all my games in C:\GAMEZ

So I start off with installing SF2, SF2V, etc. in proper order to get a full merged Jan2011 game.

These go in C:\GAMEZ\Strke Fighters 2

Be carefull you must have the older patched setup files from TW. Not the newly packaged May2011 installation files.

Then I rename C:\GAMEZ\Strike Fighters 2 to something like SF2.Jan2011.

This will be our Jan2011 patched core game folder.

NEXT, I start from scracth and install the games from May2011 setup files.

Again these will be installed in C:\GAMEZ\Strike Fighters 2

And this will be our May2011 patched core game folder.

Now here how I deal with the Mod Folders.

I put my various mod folders in C:\GAMEZ\SF2MODS

Then start replicating and installing various full mods under this. (Example: C:\GAMEZ\SF2MODS\Falklands)

Mdify the respective options.ini files inside my sf2mods to point here, and it all works good.

Only catch is, If I run a MOD using a Jan2011 patched game exe, then return and run a MOD from May2011 exe, some of the MOD files might be overwrriten by the game.

The game for some reason, goes out and extracts the stock aircraft.ini files on top of your MOD folder..

There's a workaround, by renaming your MOD folder once, after a switch from running the different Patched Core gane file.

In summary, it's not easy to setup and maintain. But it's possible.

I don't enjoy it, unfortunately the latest patch has pushed me to keep them like this for a while..

Hey thanks man appreciate the input, I guess the safest way to prevent an unintentional overwrite is to go with a dual boot.