Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Question about the Phoenix D.II

I was planning to build a Phoenix D.III as my next plane, but it has been suggested that a D.II would be a more useful plane because the D.III came out too late to see much action. Most of the online resources say that the D.II had two ailerons. But I came across this drawing at this site:

http://richard.ferri...vues/3vues.html

Which clearly shows four ailerons, as well as tail like the D.I - I also found a .pdf file here:

http://www.vintage-a...com/manuals.htm

which says that the D.II had the guns moved up and had four ailerons.

Are there any Phoenix experts out there who can clear this up for me? I am inclined to make this plane, unless someone knows for sure that it is wrong.

Stephen1918

post-67404-0-30729500-1306598205.jpg

According to "Windsock Datafile #31" the Phönix D.II does NOT have the underwing ailerons - for sure. I hardly search all the schemes and photos to be that sure. Keep it up Stephen1918!! :clapping:

I would have to agree,most of the info I have seen show ailerons on the upper wings only.I think that some may have been "upgraded or there might have beed some D.IIs on the line when the switch to the D.III went into effect and sometimes "hybreds" may have resulted.Or it could have been old fasioned missidentification of photos.

Well, bad draw! It has the wings of a DIII, with four ailerons and the tail surface of a DI....

The facts: A DIIa with 4 ailerons was the first prototype of the DIII and two DII with 4 ailerons were the pre-production planes. The best draws and photos are in the book Wilches said

The manual is bad too. It mixes the DIIa and the DIII history and characteristics. Not a very good font. It uses the Windsock datafile as a font, but very badly...

Edited by ojcar

Thanks guys. Did the D.II have a tail like the D.III or like the D.I?

Like the DIII, mate!

Like the DIII, mate!

Thank you my friend. The drawing I found must have been a hybrid as whiteknight suggested.

ojcar is wright. The D.II tail is the same as for D.III. I can't hardly wait to see the firsts screenshots!