Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Oh, very nice!

After the Personal skin vs. ammo/fuel load issue was hashed out here to my satisfaction I now, upon obtaining 10 victories, award my pilot a "personal skin" when flying for the Germans.

Have a pilot flying with Jasta 11 in March 1917 I find myself nearing the 10 kill mark thanks to the fine work of the Royal Aircraft Factory.

Having no skill at skinning, and since Olham isn't my brother-in-law, I peruse the OBD skins to find one I like. None of the Jasta 11 skins got me excited so I looked at most of the Alb DIII early skins and found a beauty!

"Why have I never seen this skin before?"

"Oh it's very nice and even has a white tail that Olham recently got me liking."

"There is no red on it but I guess I can live with it as its sweet."

Load it up in IrfanView for a closer look and yikes!! - of all people its Herman Goering's paint job!!!

Not being a Goering fan in the least (not just for WW2 but for his time as commander of JG1) I decided it's time to learn skinning - at least enough to modify existing skins with a change of color here or a paint stripe there.

With that being said what free (ideally) paint program will allow me to make minor and, maybe latter, major changes to stock skins?

Thanks!

Duke, skinning is a nice profession, and after some learning, even rewarding.

You may want to look into this part of the OFF Forum (you get there again by clicking on "Forums" above):

http://combatace.com...nd-3d-modeling/

Edited by Olham

Duke, here is just a quick copy&paste job I have made for you, using OvS' skins for Goering,

and a Jasta 11 skin. If you don't have Photoshop, try Windows' "Paint" to add some markings.

For finer works, study the above link.

This file needs to get unzipped and moved into this folder:

(your OFF folder) > campaigns > CampaignData > skins

You could later make a copy and name it: Off_Alb_DIII_t_Jasta 11 1717 Duke,

to make it available, when you move to the Albatros D.III.

Enjoy!

With that being said what free (ideally) paint program will allow me to make minor and, maybe latter, major changes to stock skins?

Thanks!

Duke, I use Paint.NET for all my skinning projects and it is excellent, and free! Here is the link:

Paint.NET Free Download

Drop me a PM if you need any help with this program, though it is a breeze to sort out and use.

Cheers!

Lou

Wow...kind of spooky Olham as that is almost exactly what I had in mind. Some new fiendish secret weapon?

It's a real beauty! Thank you.

And thank you RAF_Louvert for the program tip and offer, I am downloading the program now.

Let me know when you have it going Duke, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have. I can even send you one of my plane files to show you how I go about laying out an OFF custom skin.

I could only help you, if you'd use Photoshop. But I see, Lou offered help already.

Thanks, Duke - have fun with it!

Edited by Olham

Ack...of course.

Have the holiday off and was all hot to do some flying with my new skin and to try my hand at Paint.net and yesterdays latest storm knocked out my power.

Got a generator going but am a little hinky about running my expensive (to me) OFF dedicated desktop on generator power.

Posting and surfing here on the wife's laptop. And I thought I led a clean life!

Shows us, that our crates only fly with electric power.

I hope you can get back in the air soon.