Sign in to follow this  
jamieandnici

Ati 5870 woes

New computer built recently, thought I'd get back into OFF after much too long absence from it. Installed AMD/Ati 11.5b drivers (newest). Adjusted all the CF3configs to suit Ati based graphics cards taken from this site and fine tweaked the game settings using CF3config to adjust the bars accordingly for aircraft detail, terrain texture, scenery, effects and clouds etc. However, when I get to 8-9000 feet mysterious and random size black squares appear on the ground around my aircraft and in the distance. These textures slowly blend away when I approach them or dive down to them. They take the immersion away and are incredibly annoying. I have adjusted all of the game and hardware settings in CCC explained on this site for ATi cards and have attempted all the settings (up and down the sliders) to no avail. Can anyone help me with this problem as I am at my wits end. I have 2x Ati 5870 Sapphire cards in crossfire mode. AMD 1090t running at 4.0ghz and 8GB DDR 3 memory. Thanks in advance. PS I never had a problem with my old machine!! Typical really!!

I'm a Nvidia guy but if you wait awhile or repost on general discussions you're sure to get an answer

As far as I know, Crossfire is of NO benifit with OFF

Have you tried the Maximum of 4 on Terrian ?

Hi Uncleal

Long time since I chatted to you UncleAL. Yes Sir, good to hear from you. Yes, I have tried a maximum of 4 on Terrain and also on Scenery. Still no go i'm afraid. I'm wondering if its the drivers you know. Although I have had 11.3, 11.4 and now 11.5 ATi drivers/CCC installed I have only tried the latest 11.5 and 11.5b (hotfix) drivers. I had an ATi 1900XTX before and that worked a beauty with OFF, yes indeed. I never expected to get any benefits with crossfire as OFF is a more processor hungry sim. Bless her. However, I never thought I'd encounter such blasted trouble with this new machine with her (OFF)!! See you around UncleAL. Nice hearing from you after such a long time. All the best. J.

I have a game PC with an Intel 975 OC'ed and ATI Crossfire 4890's and I find that if I raise OFF Terrain or Scenery above "3" I get black squares too. The only way I have found to stop this was by dropping the Terrain and Scenery back to "3" even though everything else is on "5" with no problems.

@Uncleal - I happen to agree with the if it ain't broken why fix it routine!!

@Panama Red - Unfortunately it still accurs even with sliders on Terrain and Scenery on 3!!

I have Win 7 Ultimate and DX9 and DX11 installed. I also have OFF (CFS3config settings, OFFManager) all on run as administrator and have even tried run as XP SP3 compatibility to no avail. I can only assume it must be the new ATi CCC 11.5/b drivers. I'm still awaiting for ATi Omega drivers to come out for Windows 7 which are much better than the official ones from AMD. Thanks anyway. If anyone has any further help, support, advice etc please feel free to message me. TTFN. Tally Ho and Chocks away. J.

While I was writing this I suddenly thought of another question that may or may not be related to my above problem. I have an AMD 1090t on a Asus Crosshair Formula IV MB. Is it best to disable the 5 cores and have just one running or leave OFF with the full 6 cores running? Any thoughts?

My Intel 975 is multi core, so that should make no difference. I do use last years ATI 10.12 drivers with my Crossfire since my ATI cards do not need the "latest & greatest" drivers to play all my games. You might want to try some older drivers from last year and see if your problem still exists.

Edited by Panama Red

Jamieandnici,

I'm using Catalyst 11.5 drivers without any problems. However, I've noticed some minor texture artefacting with Supersample AA and my single 5770 card, especaily at altitude.

You might try the option of switching to post-processing. Set Catalyst to Use Application settings for AA, AF, and click on Morphological AA. This should turn off SuperSample AA for Crossfire, which may be the source of your problem.

Edited by BirdDogICT

Jamieandnici,

I'm using Catalyst 11.5 drivers without any problems. However, I've noticed some minor texture artefacting with Supersample AA and my single 5770 card, especaily at altitude.

You might try the option of switching to post-processing. Set Catalyst to Use Application settings for AA, AF, and click on Morphological AA. This should turn off SuperSample AA for Crossfire, which may be the source of your problem.

Hi BirdDogICT,

Thanks for the help mate, but I already had these settings set in my AMD Vision Engine Control Centre. I have just noticed that after shooting down a hun in flames the smoke was thin/white and then changes to thick black smoke about 50 yards behind the enemy aircraft. Something is definitely up with my settings somewhere. After getting very frustrated, I even read about the advice/help that you provided about clouds here in the forum. I've even tried adjusting the Z Bias settings in CFS3config z bias Resolution to 13 (from 15) and clouds to 0 from 1. Still no joys. Thanks for trying to help. If there are any other things that you may be able to pull out of your sleeves please feel free to request them as I don't know what else to do.

My current settings are:-

Catalyst 11.5b drivers

AMD Vision Control Centre

SmoothVision HD AA= Use Application Settings and Morphological Filtering (BOTH boxes ticked)

SmoothVision HD AF=Use Application Settings (box ticked)

Tessellation=AMD Optimized (only this box ticked)

Catalyst AI=Performance (Enable Surface Format Optimization box is NOT ticked)

Mipmap Detail Level=High Quality

Wait for Vertical Refresh=Always Off (performance)

AA Mode=Multi-Sample AA (Performance)

OpenGL Settings=Triple Buffering (box ticked)

Current CFS3Config Settings

Image Quality

Aircraft Detail=5

Terrain=3

Scenery-3

Effects=5

Clouds=5

(I have adjusted all of these up and down their relevant sliders to no avail)

Overrides (boxes ticked)=

Disable Warning Boxes,

Disable Intro Movie,

Disable Movie AI,

Disable 1280x1024,

Disable 1024x768,

High Resolution Z Buffer,

Terrain Detail Texture,

Disable Vertex Buffers,

Disable Index Buffers,

Disable Write-Only Vertex Buffers,

Disable Write-Only Index Buffers,

Disable Shadows,

Disable Labels,

Disable Targeting Cone,

Disable HUD,

Disable Chat,

Disable Advisor Messages,

Disable Simulation Warnings,

Disable Time Compression,

Disable Terrain Texture Ring Blend (has been ticked in past but recently left unticked)

Texture Info=

Composite Terrain Texture Pool=Managed

Composite Terrain Texture Usage=RenderTarget

Composite Aircraft Texture Pool=Managed

Composite Aircraft Texture Usage=RenderTarget

Vertex Buffer Pool=Managed (I have tried Default, but no change)

Index Buffer Pool=Default (I have tried Managed, but no change)

FullScreen Swap Effect=Flip

Still getting the black squares from approximately 9000 feet right down to 1000 feet. As stated previously, parts of the black (shadowed) squares disappear when I fly towards them to be replaced by their normal respected ground textures.

jamieandnici,

Be careful adjusting the z-bias...it's really best to leave it at default settings. While some adjustment may reduce cloud flicker, adjusting z-bias can cause problems like cockpit gauges flickering.

Also, much has been written about ATI overrides...they helped with my old ATI 1950X card, but default settings are fine with later ATI cards and Catalyst drivers, starting around 10.3. Try using default graphics settings without any overrides.

Overclocking can easily cause the problems you describe...DDR (or for that matter, DDR2 and DDR3) memory can be easily overclocked and be completely 2D stable, the same isn't always true about its' 3D stability. Same applies to your GPU memory. Some games are more sensitive to overclocking than others. BHaH seems to be one of them.

Checked for power or cooling limitations with the GPU?

@BirdDogICT- As far as I know my rig is very well ventilated with the Cooler Master HAF X Tower with 3x 200mm fans and Corsair H70 fans for the CPU/Radiator. The Graphics cards are situated next to each other but that shouldn't stop then getting enough air as there is a side wall mounted fan blowing air directly over the cards. I changed the z bias settings back to default after your request. I currently haven't overclocked my graphics card although I have unlocked the feature but have left them running at their default settings. What exactly do you mean by leaving the overrides at default? Do you mean in game settings or in AMD Vision Control Centre (hardware settings)? If so what are the defaults for AMD VCC?

@ Uncleal- I just went with the recommendations that were in the OFF ATi Graphics Cards Knowledge base settings. The simulation warnings, etc. speak for themselves as I am an avid believer in realism and hate warning messages or labels coming up. To me that's not realism. Now that you say that, I may play around with the Disable Vertex/Index Buffers though to see if that helps.

Thanks guys. I will keep you posted.

Edited by jamieandnici

@BirdDogICT- As far as I know my rig is very well ventilated with the Cooler Master HAF X Tower with 3x 200mm fans and Corsair H70 fans for the CPU/Radiator. The Graphics cards are situated next to each other but that shouldn't stop then getting enough air as there is a side wall mounted fan blowing air directly over the cards. I changed the z bias settings back to default after your request. I currently haven't overclocked my graphics card although I have unlocked the feature but have left them running at their default settings. What exactly do you mean by leaving the overrides at default? Do you mean in game settings or in AMD Vision Control Centre (hardware settings)? If so what are the defaults for AMD VCC?

@ Uncleal- I just went with the recommendations that were in the OFF ATi Graphics Cards Knowledge base settings. The simulation warnings, etc. speak for themselves as I am an avid believer in realism and hate warning messages or labels coming up. To me that's not realism. Now that you say that, I may play around with the Disable Vertex/Index Buffers though to see if that helps.

Thanks guys. I will keep you posted.

I meant in-game settings.

@BirdDogICT Sorry to sound thick (which I don't think I am but is debatable??!!) but are you referring to the Texture Info or Overrides or Both default settings in game? Sorry to be of a inconvenience to you mate. Could you tell me what the default settings are for these please? Thanks again for your help matey. :)

@BirdDogICT Sorry to sound thick (which I don't think I am but is debatable??!!) but are you referring to the Texture Info or Overrides or Both default settings in game? Sorry to be of a inconvenience to you mate. Could you tell me what the default settings are for these please? Thanks again for your help matey. :)

Not thick at all...keep in mind that most advice here is for older ATI cards. Not that I haven't added my own bits of advice, having played BHaH from Phase 2, and upgrading my hardware as I went along. With faster ATI cards and better Catalyst drivers, most of the overrides aren't that helpful now, except for those that aid realism (like turning TAC or sim warnings off).

Defaults can be set by going to Workshop, click on Graphics Config, Click on File, then choose Default Settings (this will reset all overrides). Then click on Display Options, and choose your Resolution and level of in-gameantialiasing. Click on OK, File, and Exit. That should get you back to defaults (e.g., no overrides, default texture settings, and all sliders at 1). Try it and see if you still see artefacts. If not, move up sliders until you do, then back off a little. I can run all of my sliders at 5 with a single 5770, but the game is so much better behaved at 53355

Not meaning to be pedantic...sometimes it helps to start over at square one.

Edited by BirdDogICT

@BirdDogICT - You were right matey. I changed all the overrides to Default and put the sliders up to 53355 and all seems to be working okay. All I have done now is to disable the simulation/label warnings etc. and all seems to be running fine now. The only thing I have noticed is that Creaghorns HDR/Bloom mod is a lot darker now especially in cloudy/poor weather conditions. Is there a way to change this? Thanks for your help. J.

@BirdDogICT - You were right matey. I changed all the overrides to Default and put the sliders up to 53355 and all seems to be working okay. All I have done now is to disable the simulation/label warnings etc. and all seems to be running fine now. The only thing I have noticed is that Creaghorns HDR/Bloom mod is a lot darker now especially in cloudy/poor weather conditions. Is there a way to change this? Thanks for your help. J.

Glad that helped.

I haven't played with HDR Bloom that much...I always found it to be a little dark. Can't help you on this one. Try a PM to Creaghorn.

AMD/Ati

There's your problem. I'm planning on getting myself a GTX 570 next week, purely because I'm having so many damn problems with OFF on my 4870X2. AMD/ATI have made the worst graphics drivers for as long as I can remember. Good performance:dollar ratio, but none of that matters if the drivers are rubbish.

There's your problem. I'm planning on getting myself a GTX 570 next week, purely because I'm having so many damn problems with OFF on my 4870X2. AMD/ATI have made the worst graphics drivers for as long as I can remember. Good performance:dollar ratio, but none of that matters if the drivers are rubbish.

Excellent point. Since shelving a Sapphire 5970 in favour of the EVGA GTX590, I ain't EVER going back to ATI. Nothing wrong with their hardware, but their drivers are always a major pain in the ass. I'd much rather spend my precious gaming time actually GAMING, as opposed to trying to tweak the inevitable plethora of glitches out of poorly assembled drivers. The most complicated decision I have to make with the Nvidia setup is wether or not I should enable Vsync in certain games. I think I like it that way....

Cheers,

Parky

Excellent point. Since shelving a Sapphire 5970 in favour of the EVGA GTX590, I ain't EVER going back to ATI. Nothing wrong with their hardware, but their drivers are always a major pain in the ass. I'd much rather spend my precious gaming time actually GAMING, as opposed to trying to tweak the inevitable plethora of glitches out of poorly assembled drivers. The most complicated decision I have to make with the Nvidia setup is wether or not I should enable Vsync in certain games. I think I like it that way....

Cheers,

Parky

Parky,

I'm thinking of upgrading...don't care which brand I buy as long as the price point is reasonable and the drivers work. How do you like your GTX590?

Just remember when you say how bad the ATI Drivers are, at least they did not put out any drivers like nVidia that caused your video card to self distruct like nVidia did this past year !!!:blink:

Parky,

I'm thinking of upgrading...don't care which brand I buy as long as the price point is reasonable and the drivers work. How do you like your GTX590?

Hi BD,

I must say I'm absolutely thrilled with it. It'll run anything I throw at it with everything maxed out. SLI performance is brilliant in games that allow for it. Single GPU performance is more than adequate. The 270.61 drivers perform flawlessly.

As with most cards I've owned, I did find it necessary to tweak fan settings to keep temperatures no higher than about 70C under extreme load (70C isjust my personal comfort threshold). Fan noise is minimal on this card even when it's cranked up.

The only downside to this card is the pricetag, but for those who aren't watching their pocketbooks, a very, very worthwhile investment.

Cheers,

Parky

Just remember when you say how bad the ATI Drivers are, at least they did not put out any drivers like nVidia that caused your video card to self distruct like nVidia did this past year !!!:blink:

Thats a good point as well, but as alluded to in my post just above this one, leaving fan operations on auto can be a bit of a crapshoot at the best of times. That's exactly what happened to the self-destructing cards you're referring to.

I'm not sure if the drivers failed to spin the fans up at all on auto, but if they did, they obviously remained at a low idle which resulted in some very hot hardware, and in some cases, those cards just gave up the ghost.

Interestingly enough, that 5970 I used for a while, ran hottter than a monkey's bum if I left fan operations up to the ATI drivers. With the CAT 10.2's that card would get up over 90C and the fan wouldn't get any higher than 40%. Go figure....

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of cards that suffer from shortened lives due to people relying on the default "Auto" fan settings that drivers come packaged with.

Regardless, it's always prudent when installing a new set of drivers to pay close attention to card temperatures and fan speeds before you turn up all the eyecandy in the Witcher 2 (or any other graphically demanding game) and play it for 7 hours straight.....:good:

Cheers,

Parky

I'm a Nvidia guy and while I'm the first to admit my GTX 260 is a bit long in the tooth. But I remember a few years back when I got it, changing drivers 3 times till I was pleased. But then I stopped, I don't think that new drivers are going to give me GTX 460 Performance

Only as a bystander. What is it with the ATI Guys ? It seems like as soon as a new set of drivers are released, they're on it like white on rice, is the gain that astounding ?

UncleAl,

The gains can be pretty substantial with some ATI driver releases (like recent releases that included OpenGL support for IL-2 or allowed new DirectX11 tweaks for older Series 5000 cards). Catalyst 10.3 was a recent release that increased BHaH performance a good 20% for me, so was worth the effort.

But most releases include only minor changes that don't mean squat for most users, they are designed to improve the performance of the very latest cards.. Usually a waste of time for older cards.

Thats a good point as well, but as alluded to in my post just above this one, leaving fan operations on auto can be a bit of a crapshoot at the best of times. That's exactly what happened to the self-destructing cards you're referring to.

I'm not sure if the drivers failed to spin the fans up at all on auto, but if they did, they obviously remained at a low idle which resulted in some very hot hardware, and in some cases, those cards just gave up the ghost.

Interestingly enough, that 5970 I used for a while, ran hottter than a monkey's bum if I left fan operations up to the ATI drivers. With the CAT 10.2's that card would get up over 90C and the fan wouldn't get any higher than 40%. Go figure....

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of cards that suffer from shortened lives due to people relying on the default "Auto" fan settings that drivers come packaged with.

Regardless, it's always prudent when installing a new set of drivers to pay close attention to card temperatures and fan speeds before you turn up all the eyecandy in the Witcher 2 (or any other graphically demanding game) and play it for 7 hours straight.....:good:

Cheers,

Parky

I have found the same thing with ATI cards over the years, and have had a few fail due to heat. I didn't have any problems with my 5770 overheating until I started playing Crysis 2...determined that my automatic fan speed was barely 40%. Manually setting it to 70% solved the problem.

I used to automatically rip off the stock cooler and add an aftermarket cooler whenever I bought a new ATI card. What the heck, they usually only lasted a year with stock cooling, and failed about the time that the warranty ran out, so it didn't matter if I voided the warranty...they wouldn't honor it anyway. But now that the warranty is usually two years, I just monitor the temp a lot more closely.

I have found the same thing with ATI cards over the years, and have had a few fail due to heat. I didn't have any problems with my 5770 overheating until I started playing Crysis 2...determined that my automatic fan speed was barely 40%. Manually setting it to 70% solved the problem.

I used to automatically rip off the stock cooler and add an aftermarket cooler whenever I bought a new ATI card. What the heck, they usually only lasted a year with stock cooling, and failed about the time that the warranty ran out, so it didn't matter if I voided the warranty...they wouldn't honor it anyway. But now that the warranty is usually two years, I just monitor the temp a lot more closely.

Yep, I get the same thing with my 4870X2. The card regularly sits at ~85 degrees celsius and yet the fan never goes over 30% o_O

I too was suffering from the "black square" problem in OFF using my ATI Crossfire 4890's if I moved my terrain/scenery settings above "3", i.e. I could run 5/3/3/5/5 all day, but not 5/4/4/5/5.

But trying a little experiment the other day, i.e. disabling Crossfire, I am now able to run WITH OUT any "black squares" using the 5/4/4/5/5 settings.

You could say that I have become a firm believer in not using Crossfire in OFF, now and in the future.:yikes: