Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Blue Angles Grounded for airshow mishap

what a commander..

too bad this happen but we can see the true nature of his command and character :salute:

Strange, they pulled out of the (shallow) dive in a very relaxed way, didn't look like a problem, should have been easy to maintain the minimum height...:blink:

Houdoe,

Derk

This man is so right :salute:

Excellent pilot and a good commander, he gives the best image of aeronautic, safety first.

Strange, they pulled out of the (shallow) dive in a very relaxed way, didn't look like a problem, should have been easy to maintain the minimum height...:blink:

Not necessarily.

If he miscalculated the pull through altitude at the top of the maneuver, he may not have noticed he was too low. When you're coming through the vertical, the altimeter is winding very quickly and it can be hard to estimate when you're going to be level. In acro, hitting your 'gates' as you go through maneuvers is very important....and has been screwed up too many times to count.

His wingies probably got spooked at the very end when they still saw a downward vector well below the min safe altitude.

Good on him for admitting that he boned up. He's lucky though...no one was hurt.

FC

Guess you're very right. going over the top too low without noticing and then pulling the prescribed and programmed amount of G out of the dive gets you into trouble..... Maybe wouldn't have been such a problem in a solo demo, where you don't have to take your wingmen into account.

Houdoe,:good:

Derk

Edited by Derk

Demo team flying is some of the hardest flying out there. 5hit happens, big brass 1ns to admit it was his bad.

oops!

He's an excellent Commander to stand up and take the responsibility. My hat's off to him. :salute:

I saw a video somewhere of the incident, the wingmen clearly broke it off, and they called a Knock It Off and ended.

Right move.

I saw a Blue Angel get it wrong once and there weren't even any charred pieces of him left over. Demonstration flying is an exacting and precise operation. Mistakes can, and have been, catastrophic.

That's one reason I never watch them, or Tbirds. I don't believe low altitude formation flying is needed to "impress" folks on the ground, maybe because it doesn't impress me, in fact, just the opposite.

Man, the very *best* flying impression I ever saw was one of, if not the, last flying demo of the F-106A -- because I that was always my favorite, and it was amazing in more ways than one. They couldn't get it started, the thing was so old, so the mech rolled out the aux starter cart. Anyways, after pilot landed me and friend talked to the pilot and mech -- they were two bodies and one soul. The entire crowd ran over to wait for the Thunderbirds and F-16s I guess -- don't know don't care, so we had the F-106A crew all to ourselves, pilot-mech. We left after that, and told them the end of the 106 performance was the end of the airshow for us. They ~loved~ that. Cool as hell guys. They both loved that plane.

I'm with you Typhoid. There is no room for OOPs in that type of flying.

If the "Boss" doesn't have the gates nailed,the whole team is in trouble.

Hats Off to the team commander for taking the appropriate steps after. :salute:

Safety is their number one concern and Commander Voss did the right thing.