Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Deadly Cucumbers

Please, take your vegetables from us Greeks...

We're pretty desparate, lately! :grin:

Well, I had green cucumbers with friends last weekend, although we knew about this matter.

We carefully washed them first, and then we totally peeled off the green.

And we are all still alive and well.

But then those may have been Dutch cucumbers?

I bet, when you follow the above proceedure, it shouldn't be dangerous.

usually i don't comment in political threads or similar. but this time i'm in the mood :grin: .

every year hundreds of people die because of viruses, flu's, contaminated food etc.

give the same virus or whatever a name, mention it in the news that here and there some people died, then you have panic.

every year people die because of influenza. name the influenza pig flu, then you have panic.

good example is mad cow desease. statistics showed that in europe more children died in a year because they have emptied a bottle of toxic liquid than people suffered from mad cow desease in three years.

that's ridiculous.

some weeks ago i was sick because i had the chicken pox (with 33 lol), which is not undangerous for adults. was about 2 weeks feverish in bed etc.

put it into the news and call it pigeon disease, then you would have the same panic :blink: .

BTW. the paranoid german behaviour of completely shutting down all nuclear powerplants with scary twitching hands is for sure going to make it safer if one day a tsunami or earthquake hits germany lol. and if all neighbouring countries like france etc. would ever have a fallout, than the cloud is going to stop at the german border of course.

and for the "we are always against everything" german green party: the cucumbers could only get contaminated by touching cow-s**t. so that means obviously those bio-hype farms, where cucumberfields and cows are side by side are dangerous for people. why don't they cry for stopping immediately bio-farms? :cool:

It seems that these cucumbers are deadlier than the Fukushima nuclear accident.

Sorry, black humour. :grin:

Calls for another Japanese horror-thriller.

"Green Monster Cucumbers vs the Fukushima Nuke Power Plant"

Of course, Godzilla, Frankenstein, Wolfman and the Ninja Turtles!

Can you get E-coli by performing a sex act...that's what the Vicar wants to know!? :lol:

Well-lll - if you use Spanish cucumbers... ?

Well, I'm from Spain and I eat all sort of Spanish vegetables, cucumbers amongst them....since forever. And th best Spanish vegetables are not eated in Spain, but given to expotation.

It seems that contamination was in fact a German fault in food transport and manipulation (E Coli grows in s**t, not in cucumbers). Not a single case of illness in Spain. But, of course, it was a Spanish fault for them....

Obviously, they are getting paranoid...

Well, all I know is, that there is a number of people who are seriously suffering from E Coli, found of cucumbers from Spain.

How the E Coli got on the cucumbers, and where that happened, has still to be researched.

No paranioa - but nobody would like to get such a nasty infection.

I think if you Google E-Coli and Farming in the US in particular, you'll find enough hits about contaminated food. Generally this is because the fertilizer commonly used is from Dairy farms and feed lots. A simple solution would be to compost the stuff, but that adds labor and cost. And since as 'developed' countries, we have this thing about giving our food animals lots of hormones and antibiotics... And yet we are surprised when super 'bugs' appear and make people sick or worse.

It's all about expediency and profit margins.

English Tea Party's RUINED!..... If we cannot have cucumber sandwiches...what shall we give the Vicar with his cup of Tea?

First off, the lack of cucumber sandwiches will do nothing but improve tea time. GAWD, the horror of having a good afternoon ruined by those horrid noshes!

Personally, I find it extremely hard to understand the current English fixation with cucumber sandwiches. Not so long ago, they knew better. Here are, for example, the erudite and sagely words of the immortal Samuel Johnson:

"A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing!"

How did the current generation stray so far from the truth? I blame the Great War, which killed off most who knew better, and then the rationing of WW2, when apparently there wasn't anything better to eat.

As to the Vicar, in the US the Church of England is called Episcopalian, better known as "Whiskey-palian", because "when 3 or 4 are gathered together, there shall be a fifth (as in 1/5 of a gallon of whiskey) in the midst of them." It's even better since the merger with the Lutherans, who bring the beer. I imagine, therefore, that if you offered a cup of tea to a vicar, he'd dump half his pocket flask into it and would want to drink it with beer nuts and a cigar.

It Conquered The World!

Looks like a killer cuke to me. :grin:

Yup, and MST3K did a great job of razzing this old classic by Roger Corman. I think that Beverly Garland, who starred in this, was a hotty. Then of course there's Viking Women and the Sea Serpent, with whole bevy of beauties doing tons of walking around, It's a Corman trademark. Walking that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3cZV_C6hU&playnext=1&list=PL9A38DA2D3CB1D8A7

Edited by Lewie

Thankfully BH...no-one actually eats cucumber sandwiches anymore...mixed with other stuff..yes...but not on their own...that was very pre-war

Mixed with Cheddar - hmmmm! Ploughman's Lunch was always delicious in England;

although I'm not sure anymore, if it had cucumber with it.

But definitely Cheddar and pickled onions and radishes!

jumping Jehoshaphat..................we're reduced to vegetables.................WHERE'S P4?????

If only people were not so bloody paranoid. Practice some common sense safe food handling rules and chit like this is not going to happen. To say the cucs came from one country or another is BS. How does anyone know the sickies just didn't wash their hands after having a dump or whatever.

A little common sense goes along ways, but in this day and age it is a RARE commodity.

Well, not exactly solved though is it?...they don't know where this strain has originated...and they have no cure

Yep, it looks like it is extremely dangerous. And it shows, how dependant we are from food industries.

Worst case scenario would be, that it could have been an assault.

Some interesting facts about it are:

It mainly affects Women

It 'glues' itself onto your intestines

It is resistant to all usual Antibiotics

It loves dirty people, who don't wash their hands after using the Lavvy