Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Skinning Etiquette

A quick question about Skinning Etiquette though I am very far from showing off anything but my mind tends to wander.

If I take a Olham skin for example, as he is the most prolific skinner with the Alb series, and then modify it to whatever extent, should permission from the author (Olham in this example) be sought prior to, lets say, posting a screenshot of it in a "Combat Report" in the "Stories from the Front" thread in the General Discussion Forum? Or is just a verbal acknowledgement of it being Olhams's (and OvS) original skin in the post adequate?

5 years from now, when I am skilled enough to do and complete re-skin, would a verbal acknowledgement to OvS (or the other OFF skinners) be sufficient?

Do all the original OFF skins display the authors name? I know I have seen OvS several times but never studied all the skins in detail.

Edited by DukeIronHand

ALL skins ultimately derive from OBD work, even total repaints, because OBD arranged the various parts of the plane out on the skin graphic and we follow their lead there. Thus, EVERY skin you upload has to say "based on the original skin by OBD", and if you know which OBD guy made the skin you worked from, you have to say "based on the original OBD skin by XXXX:".

If you modify a 3rd party skin, you have to say "based on XXXX's skin, which derives from OBD's skin by YYYY".

NOTE: OBD has given us more or less free rein to make skins, but 3rd party skinners usually haven't. So if you want to upload a modification of a 3rd party's skin, you should probably ask that person if it's OK.

I don't go along with this skinning Etiquette malarky personally.

I always thank OBD for letting me use their skins, thats fair enough...but the whole issue just smacks of snobbery to me.

If you release a skin for public consumption...thats the skinners choice...it's in the public domain, and therefore can be used by anyone to do with as they will.

If someone wants to download one of my skins..thats fantastic!...it then becomes theirs to use as they wish....I don't want any credit...it's a free gift to the community.

I don't go along with this skinning Etiquette malarky personally.

I always thank OBD for letting me use their skins, thats fair enough...but the whole issue just smacks of snobbery to me.

If you release a skin for public consumption...thats the skinners choice...it's in the public domain, and therefore can be used by anyone to do with as they will.

If someone wants to download one of my skins..thats fantastic!...it then becomes theirs to use as they wish....I don't want any credit...it's a free gift to the community.

Snobbery?

If take one of your paint jobs that took you hours and hours - and change just the wheel color - then post it for d/l as "Duke's Greatest Skin", with no mention of you then you wouldn't mind?

Granted that may be a extreme example but anyone's work should be recognized...the value of the work is "in the eyes of the downloader" so to speak.

Recognizing someones efforts isn't "snobbery".

Guess I sound kinda preachy! Well, it is Sunday.

...Recognizing someones efforts isn't "snobbery"...

Agreed. If I use someone else's work as a starting point, or borrow from someone's work to make mine, due credit must be given. It's only right - and it's good manners.

When I finish my current project, the credits are liable to be very lengthy!

Each to their own.....but I just feel that I don't have to make skins...and I don't have to share them...So, if I do..it's just a case of 'here you go guys..enjoy'

When you give someone a gift, you expect a thank you...but not an announcement in the press about what a nice gift you've given, and how much effort you went to in order to bestow your generosity to the bearer surely?....dunno, but that just sounds pompous to me.

I would always thank someone, and if I changed a skin..I wouldnt repost it...but if someone did that to me, it wouldnt bother me in the slightest.

If someone used one of my skins..and added something, then announced the skin was theirs...so what?..If I felt that precious about it..I wouldnt post it, but, like I say...each to their own :drinks:

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

In OPS/SDOE you have the ability to add in the .sm file, ( the file that contains all of the 3D, 2D, DM And FM data and texts..) the ability to put into the properties files directly, text acknowledging the original builders and 2D artists. This is actually encouraged in SDOE's modding circles.

I think it would behoove someone using original 2D work, or public domain available 3D work to at least send a small .txt with the files, a 'ReadMe' or maybe even have the text in the mapping file so it's on the model in some not so conspicuous place, listing thanks and credits for the original artist. I know I'd like to have this recognition on my models used for further development, I've given to the public domain. And there's dozens of those I've contributed over the years.