Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Phönix D.II in Progress

The Phönix D.II is built and rigged. I'm starting the cockpit and skinning templates tomorrow.

post-67404-0-21204800-1306883276.jpg

I've been waiting and waiting for a D.II. Looks like I can scratch yet another from my wish list :grin:

What can I say other than beautiful work once again Stephen1918. Cant wait for this one either

"The Battle of the Piave River" campaign sounds like it just might happen now. Spring 1918. I should have enough aircraft. Some "Hack" two-seaters will do for now. Awsome stuff Stephen1918! :drinks:

Any luck trying the "Bump" mapping? I know you're using FEG so you wouldnt be able to see the "Bump" effects. But it makes all the difference with the models in FE2 using DirectX 10 or higher.

Any luck trying the "Bump" mapping? I know you're using FEG so you wouldnt be able to see the "Bump" effects. But it makes all the difference with the models in FE2 using DirectX 10 or higher.

I had given up on the bump maps because it dawned on me that I wasn't going to see them, so I couldn't evaluate them. Are the bump maps a separate skin, or are the bumps part of the same skin? I can try to apply the skin in 3DS and send them to you for painting.

Stephen1918

Stephen, sorry to be a pain in the ass, but could you make an screeshot directly over the plane?

It seems that the shape of the wingtip in the upper wing it's not correct.

I'll explain: in the DIII they reversed the curve of the wingtip, moving the largest curve towards the trailing edge.Maybe you have not changed this because the original model was a DIII. So, the correct shape of the DII is reversing the curve of the wingtip. Only a minor fail. The model looks great!

Stephen, sorry to be a pain in the ass, but could you make an screeshot directly over the plane?

It seems that the shape of the wingtip in the upper wing it's not correct.

I'll explain: in the DIII they reversed the curve of the wingtip, moving the largest curve towards the trailing edge.Maybe you have not changed this because the original model was a DIII. So, the correct shape of the DII is reversing the curve of the wingtip. Only a minor fail. The model looks great!

You're right, I started with a D.III and didn't change the wingtip. Is the drawing here more correct? What about the tail, should there be ripples in the trailing edge like the wings?

post-67404-0-93164300-1306895318.jpg

post-67404-0-22468100-1306895328.jpg

Edited by Stephen1918

Sorry for late answer. I was sleeping. Yes, the draw you have is more correct, and yes, shouls be ripples in the tail, but more broadly that in the wings. Only two of them (not counting elevator tip).

Once again, the model looks awesome

It looks like we are getting closer and closer to a true Austro-Italian Front all the time. My hopes started clear back in the Red Baron 3D days, and between quack74 (skins & campaign), Stephen1918 (models) and ojcar (FM's), this is about the closest we come so far. :drinks::salute::clapping::good:

I'm really looking forward to this release and to the future skins Quack is gonna apply to it.

Yes, quack's skins are beautiful!!!

Quack, no skins for pretty little Sikorsky? I think the metal parts needs your expertise.

Well, talking about the S.XVI, most of the wartime photos shows the low and flat spine just aft the cockpit. The Stephen1918's has a raised turtledeck. I know it's wright for some models, but the other version looks wilder. Any chance to release the lower spine one?

Here are some screen shots of the updated version. I've changed the wingtips, narrowed the ailerons, added a little curve to the fuselage, and added ripples to the elevator. Thanks for your comments everyone, and thanks ojcar for the corrections. Now I'll get to work on the cockpit.

post-67404-0-89115200-1306994502.jpg

post-67404-0-75759600-1306994512.jpg

post-67404-0-94103200-1306994520.jpg

Edited by Stephen1918

Well, talking about the S.XVI, most of the wartime photos shows the low and flat spine just aft the cockpit. The Stephen1918's has a raised turtledeck. I know it's wright for some models, but the other version looks wilder. Any chance to release the lower spine one?

I'll see what I can do. I still want to do a plane with 4 ailerons, maybe I'll do a second version of the Sikorsky later this summer.

Wov, You're f***ing fast!!! It looks perfect now.

SCREENSHOTS!!! We badly need! :drinks:

Here's where I am so far. Ojcar is going to make 2 FMs, one for the D.II and one for the D.IIa. Quack74 is going to make some skins, as soon as he gets caught up with other stuff. I will make different versions of the engine and release it as two separate planes. Here it is with it's D.II markings. I am working on the cockpit now.

post-67404-0-58110800-1307402215.jpg

post-67404-0-36126500-1307402225.jpg

post-67404-0-72457200-1307402235.jpg

Edited by Stephen1918

That last skin looks much better than the original ones. Will you be posting the new skin as the default skin?

That last skin looks much better than the original ones. Will you be posting the new skin as the default skin?

I'll use this skin as the default for the D.II and the original decals with this skin as the default for the D.IIa.