Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Wow.

mushroomcloud.jpg

Wonder how far away they were to take that photo? to me it doesnt look far away enough.

Since there's no sign that the film was exposed to radiation (no evidence of white spots on the original emulsion) I'd say it was far enough away. The camera was probably automated or remotely operated, anyway.

i'd say 5 to 10 km from the main column.

too close, i guess...

Where and when was this? South pacific late 40s?

The 60s?...hate to see what one would look like now.

I just happened across this and for me this is a reminder that things didnt come to end like this and also a reminder that things can end like this.

Edited by Skyviper

much more than 5 to 10 km I guess

10km is believable. It looks like a wide angle lens.

I'm guessing that's 40kt yield, give or take 2x. Apply the old Boy Scout method to the cloud top, guessing at this time maybe 25kft, or 8km high. If the cloud top is 45 degrees high -- assuming wide angle lens, and you can easily see the gills under the mushroom cap, there's 8km from camera tower to the base of the mushroom stem.

That's a lot of rough assumptions: yield, cloud age, height, and angle, as well as lens. 10km just to be safe.

Apparently, you can vacation there. Mururoa, where the sun shines brighter. :heat:

Holiday 4 U ~> http://vacationorholiday.blogspot.com/2009/05/mururoa.html

Lemme guess, Lexx, there's no need for microwave ovens there, the food cooks by itself? :heat::grin::lol:

In any case, the picture is quite amazing... Strange how something so devastating can look so beautiful, it looks almost organic...

Beware the colour or contrast intensity. Notice the sky and ocean are black.

Lemme guess, Lexx, there's no need for microwave ovens there, the food cooks by itself? :heat::grin::lol:

In any case, the picture is quite amazing... Strange how something so devastating can look so beautiful, it looks almost organic...

And you can find it at night easily without lights as it glows a bright green... :rofl:

Yeap.

Get your Teller tan

Megabars open 24 hours

Bathe in a heated bubbly lagoon

Surf the best super critical shock waves

Enjoy your radiation relaxation period

Fun for the whole Fermily

Gammascreen lotion SPF 3.0x10^11 now in stock!