Sign in to follow this  
shredward

Standard-built Pup

Best wishes to those stout fellows - their's is a noble quest, to be sure! :good:

Wow - now that is a REAL hobby for men! Fine work - almost art!

I look forward to the BBC documentary. Such a lovely machine, I like her almost as much as my beloved Tripe.

Yes, I must say that the Sopwith Pup is a very fine aircraft I would have liked to fly on the British side. :good:

Oh man, how I would love to get behind the stick of that kite once it's completed and take her for a turn or two. Kudos to them for taking on such a fine project.

It reminds me, I was just up in north-eastern Minnesota yesterday visiting my brother. He is retired and lives on 160 acres of beautiful countryside several miles from the nearest town, and we were discussing mowing a strip into one of the particularly long meadows he owns. It would be an idyllic spot for a grass airstrip: a wonderfully flat meadow about 700 yards long and 500 yards wide, running east and west; bordered by a thick pine and birch forest on three sides with the narrow dirt lane to his home along the north edge; prevailing winds from the west-northwest which make them perfect for the field orientation: and 20-plus miles from the nearest commercial flight path. He and I have both flown ultralights in the past, and he is now considering a build of a 3/4 size SE5a replica. I can already see it parked on that grassy field, near an unpainted, board-sided, tin-roofed hanger, tucked up next the eastern tree line, on a blue-skied summer morning.

He and I have both flown ultralights in the past, and he is now considering a build of a 3/4 size SE5a replica. I can already see it parked on that grassy field, near an unpainted, board-sided, tin-roofed hanger, tucked up next the eastern tree line, on a blue-skied summer morning.

Ahhh, the stuff dreams are made of. Just the sort of project for a retiree. Personally I plan to try and build a Sop Triplane. :smile:

It would be an idyllic spot for a grass airstrip: a wonderfully flat meadow about 700 yards long and 500 yards wide, running east and west; bordered by a thick pine and birch forest on three sides with the narrow dirt lane to his home along the north edge; prevailing winds from the west-northwest which make them perfect for the field orientation.

It's quite amazing just how similar the description of that field is to what was looked for in France in WWI. Sounds the perfect spot.