Sign in to follow this  
ID(io)T Team

ID(io)T Team Iowa Class Battleship 80s

ID(io)T Team Iowa Class Battleship 80s

ID(io)T Team Iowa Class Battleship 80s for Strike Fighters 2

History:

In the 1980s, as part of President Ronald Reagan's plan to rebuild the U.S. military and create a 600-ship Navy—which would counter the new Soviet Kirov class battlecruisers—all four of the battleships were reactivated and modernized under the 600-ship Navy program.each battleship was overhauled to burn navy distillate fuel and modernized to carry electronic warfare suites, close-in weapon systems (CIWS) for self-defense, and missiles.After recommissioning, the modernized battleships operated as centerpieces of their own battleship battle groups (BBBGs), consisting of one Ticonderoga-class cruiser, one Kidd-class destroyer or Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, one Spruance-class destroyer, three Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates and one support ship, such as a fleet oiler.

During their modernization in the 1980s each Iowa-class battleship was equipped with four of the US Navy's Phalanx CIWS mounts, two of which sat just behind the bridge and two which were next to the after ship's funnel. Iowa, New Jersey, and Missouri were equipped with the Block 0 version of the Phalanx, while Wisconsin received the first operational Block 1 version in 1988.[70] The Phalanx system is intended to serve as a last line of defense against enemy missiles and aircraft, and when activated can engage a target with a 20 mm M61 Vulcan 6-barreled gatling cannon at a distance of approximately 3.6 km (2.2 mi).

A close-up look at an Armored Box Launcher unit, this one aboard USS New Jersey As part of their modernization in the 1980s, each of the Iowa-class battleships received a complement of Armored Box Launchers and "shock hardened" Mk. 141 quad cell launchers. The former was used by the battleships to carry and fire the BGM-109 Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAMs) for use against enemy targets on land, while the latter system enabled the ships to carry a complement of RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles for use against enemy ships. With an estimated range of 675 nautical miles (1,250 km; 777 mi) to 1,500 nautical miles (2,800 km; 1,700 mi) for the Tomahawk missile and 64.5 nautical miles (119.5 km; 74.2 mi) to 85.5 nautical miles (158.3 km; 98.4 mi) for the Harpoon missile system, these two missile systems displaced the sixteen-inch guns and their maximum range of 42,345 yards (38,720 m) (24.06 mi)[28] to become the longest-ranged weapons on the battleships during the 1980s. It has been alleged by some[73][74][75] that the battleships carried the TLAM-A (also cited, incorrectly, as the TLAM-N)—a Tomahawk missile with a W80 nuclear warhead—during their 1980s service with the United States Navy, but owing to the United States Navy's policy of refusing to confirm or deny the presence of nuclear weaponry aboard its ships, these claims can not be conclusively proved.

During the 1980s these battleships made use of the RQ-2 Pioneer, an unmanned aerial vehicle employed in spotting for the guns. Launched from the fantail using a rocket-assist booster that was discarded shortly after takeoff, the Pioneer carried a video camera in a pod under the belly of the aircraft which transmitted live video to the ship so operators could observe enemy actions or fall of shot during naval gunnery. To land the UAV a large net was deployed at the back of the ship the aircraft was flown into it. Missouri and Wisconsin both used the Pioneer UAVs successfully during Operation Desert Storm.

USS Iowa (BB-61)

Reactivated in the early 1980s, Iowa operated in the Atlantic Fleet, cruising in North American and European waters for most of the decade and participating in joint military exercises with European ships. On 19 April 1989, 47 sailors were killed following an explosion in her No. 2 turret. In 1990, Iowa was decommissioned for the last time and placed in the mothball fleet. She was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 17 March 2006. Iowa is currently anchored as part of the National Defense Reserve Fleet in Suisun Bay, California and is available for donation as a museum and memorial.

USS New Jersey (BB-62)

Reactivated in 1982 under the 600-ship Navy program, New Jersey was sent to Lebanon to protect U.S. interests and U.S. Marines, firing her main guns at Druze and Syrian positions in the Beqaa Valley east of Beirut. Decommissioned for the last time 8 February 1991, New Jersey was briefly retained on the Naval Vessel Register before being donated to the Home Port Alliance of Camden, New Jersey for use as a museum ship in October 2001

USS Missouri (BB-63)

Reactivated in 1984 as part of the 600-ship Navy plan, Missouri was sent on operational cruises until being assigned to Operation Earnest Will in 1988. In 1991, Missouri participated in Operation Desert Storm, firing 28 Tomahawk Missiles and 759 sixteen-inch (406 mm) shells at Iraqi targets along the coast. Decommissioned for the last time in 1992, Missouri was donated to the USS Missouri Memorial Association of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, for use as a museum ship in 1999.

USS Wisconsin (BB-64)

reactivated in 1986 as part of the 600-ship Navy plan. In 1991, Wisconsin participated in Operation Desert Storm, firing 24 Tomahawk Missiles at Iraqi targets, and expending 319 16-inch (406 mm) shells at Iraqi troop formations along the coast. Decommissioned for the last time 30 September 1991, Wisconsin was placed in the reserve fleet until struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 17 March 2006 so she could be transferred for use as a museum ship. Wisconsin is currently berthed at the Nauticus maritime museum in Norfolk, Virginia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the package:

The Iowa class battleship with all the 4 ships variations.

Fully working 16", 5", Phalanx gun batteries and Fire direction turrets.

New BGM-109C Tomahawk missiles. (be carefull as sometimes they are used as SAMs too because the ship can engage air and ground targets)

Orbiting RQ-2 Pioneer drone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation:

Simply copy all the files in the respective directory of your game folder.

"User"\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2

Credits:

ID(io)T Team : Model, Weapons, Testing

Torno : Skin

YeYeYe : Data INI

Spitwulf : INI work, Guns, Effects and sound

Typhoid : Precious counseling

Beta testers: All the above plus Silverbolt, Canadair and The Test Pilot

Legal stuff:

This mod is freeware. Commercial use is not allowed.

Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

HOOT!!!

yah, now we're talking!!

wrench

kevin stein

OH my god I've got wood!!

Just last night I was playing with a naval battle mission having fun watching WB Samurai's new Ticonderoga class Cruisers lob cruise missiles,and wondering when this would be released.

Thank you so much!!!

Ok. This is like

Seriously COOL!!!

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

:heat:

OH my god I've got wood!!

Just last night I was playing with a naval battle mission having fun watching WB Samurai's new Ticonderoga class Cruisers lob cruise missiles,and wondering when this would be released.

Thank you so much!!!

Yeah! I got simulated wood too!

Thanks for the BB. Can't wait to get it installed tonight and try some ship to ship.

-S

Thanks Guys, we started this model ages ago thinking to DS an to all late Cold War possible campaign feel free to introduce this lovable boat in every way you want, we were waiting for some ship FM news hoping to make she workable with Harpoon too, I hope in the nex project by TK to see serous ship fighting with all weapon sys...

Cheers....

Mauz.

Edited by NGHENGO

UUUUUUU

THANK YOU ANIMALS !!!!!

Excellent model guys, really good.

SON UNOS GROSOS !!!!!!

grosometro.gif

Awesome ship! Thank you for your hard work. I've been on the Mighty Mo, and this mod brings back a lot of memories.

I had plans to attempt to make an Iowa class in the near future, but I'm glad you beat me to it, since I don't think I could have done these vessels the same justice your team did.

good.gif

P.S. The way you implemented the UAV was extremely creative!

P.P.S. Would you mind if I use the included Tomahawk model in the next update for my Ticonderogas?

Edited by WhiteBoySamurai

can someone makes the fantail flightdeck operational please that would be The Cat's Meow

Only to watch this beauty I made a kamikaze like quick mission

post-5138-0-44555900-1307116967.jpg

post-5138-0-73217700-1307116956.jpg

post-5138-0-34202900-1307116944.jpg

post-5138-0-66253700-1307116911.jpg

No hope to hit !

Take a trySu-7BM Vs New Jersey.rar

Bravi Ragazzi!!!!!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

can someone makes the fantail flightdeck operational please that would be The Cat's Meow

Not a problem. This model is close enough to the real thing that I was able to guesstimate the extents and coordinates.

gallery_33721_313_186494.jpg

Just add these lines into the data.ini file under the [Hull] section:

SystemName[003]=flightdeck

SystemName[004]=Cat1

SystemName[005]=Cat2

[Flightdeck]

SystemType=FLIGHT_DECK

FlightDeckHeight=7.25

FlightDeckLength=263.3

FlightDeckWidth=31.8

LandDeckAngle=0

LandingAimPoint=0.0,-92.4,7.25

CollisionMesh=boatdeck

MinExtentPosition=-15.9,-110.1,0.0

MaxExtentPosition=15.9,153.1,7.25

[Cat1]

SystemType=CATAPULT

CatapultID=1

StartPosition=7.25,-88.5,7.25

EndPosition=7.30,-88.0,7.25

LaunchTime=0.5

LaunchEffect=

CatapultEffect=

ReadyAnimationID=1

ReadyAnimationTime=2.0

[Cat2]

SystemType=CATAPULT

CatapultID=2

StartPosition=-7.25,-88.5,7.25

EndPosition=-7.30,-88.0,7.25

LaunchTime=0.5

LaunchEffect=

CatapultEffect=

ReadyAnimationID=1

ReadyAnimationTime=2.0

As you can see, there's enough room on the deck for two helicopters. Harriers will also fit, FYI, but taking off with one is much trickier.

Don't let the sailors on deck get sucked into your intakes! grin.gif

How would you convert this to SF1 fomatis it possible?

Edited by JB1