Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Some thoughts/ideas for our 3d Guys.....

following recent discussions of 1stGen aircraft conversion to SF2, with respect to DAT WoA, the cockpit/external model canopy framing seems to be the biggest issue (aside from the expected FM issues)

So, here's what I had in mind ... when building new aircraft for WW2, cut the fuseleage into several different meshes. As seen below in the screenie.

Now, many aircraft HAVE seperate meshes for the nose, fuselage and tail. What I propose is simply cutting an additional mesh around the cockpit section, calling it in the data ini, so it can be removed via the ShowFromCockpit=FALSE line.

Along those same lines, as iirc, boostjunky has been experimentatin with, calling the front frame/windscreen/whatever-it's-called in the cockpit ini, and removing it that way.

The drawback of that is not having an OUT for some aircraft, thereby forcing one to use a hexeditor (which ain't all that hard, really) to discover the mesh names

Having a seperate mid/forward fueselage mesh should make the edit farily easy, and shouldn't effect anything in the FM. Somewhat similiar to what GregoryP was doing with the AvHistory FM -- calling out all the varying parts of the aricraft

Thoughts?

wrench

kevin stein

(btw, just used Russo's Jug as an example -- the hide node in the cockpit ini trick works pretty damn good on this one!)

it goes down to the amount of extra work 3D guy wants to put into his/her model -cutting the fuselage and calling it in data ini is some 5 minutes of work, but the pros of this are HUGE and go far beyond cockpit issues -more detailed DM, bulletholes placement (more parts to place _holes. into) etc... :good:

Yes its easy to cut the meshes...a bit of re linking the heirachy,too.Not a huge job on existing models.

To be frank, my first priority would rather be getting these models sorted out with good descending LODs. I won't be the only one who finds many of them difficult to use in realistic numbers.

true, good level of details a must, large formations are literally a showstopper