Sign in to follow this  
Trackpad

Hello, Everyone,

A short note by way of introduction. I've just received my OFF and CFS 3, got them both installed correctly (I think), and I'm having a fine time learning the simulation. My learning curve is a perpendicular line right now, and is not likely to tilt over for quite some time. But I have my first victory (couldn't NOT have made it: Albatros DV vs BE2c!), so there may be hope yet! At any rate, I'm now aboard and I hope to join in to various discussions once I get a bit more familiar with OFF.

Cheers!

Trackpad

Welcome aboard, Trackpad!

If you check the post below (RAFLouvert's 4000th post) - you'll see we're all just back from a bender in Amiens (groan!), but just to be sociable we should maintain the traditions - like new guys buying a round! :grin:

So I'll have a Lowenbrau (seeing as you're kitted out in the Kaiser's livery) - and here's to you ridding the eastern skies of one more pesky B.E2.

:drinks:

Edited by TaillyHo

Welcome to a great sim and a forum equal to the task. Many helpful chaps around and always good banter after a long flight over the front.

S! and welcome :drinks:

Trackpad,

Perhaps, by way of introduction, you could show the group some of the models you've built over the years...:grin:

Cheers,

shredward

Welcome to our mess, Trackpad!

Since there are not many here flying my favourite fighter, the Albatros, I welcome you even more!

It's a fighter with a most perfect field of view, and very easy to fly I find.

Great to hear that your install and first missions went flawless.

If you send me a message with your town and country, I will add you to our OFF Forum Pilots maps

(see in the Sticky Threads above).

Oh, and I'll have a virtual Warsteiner! Cheers!

Edited by Olham

Trackpad,

Perhaps, by way of introduction, you could show the group some of the models you've built over the years...:grin:

Cheers,

shredward

Hmmmmmm

Welcome to the OFF skies Trackpad. While you may be the new lad here, it sounds from Shredwards' comment that you are a veteran to WWI aviation interests in other genre. As mentioned, the new man buys the drinks. However, as has also been mentioned, we did tie one on this last Friday eve and I am still limiting my intake, so a nice hot cuppa' coffee for me with just a touch of fresh cream. There's a good man.

Welcome, Trackpad. A bunch of friendly chaps you'll find here. Some went on a bender with Lou the other day but I was flying so I'm free and able to partake now and mine's a pint of Spitfire please.

Models??? do tell.

Gentlemen, All,

Well, thank you for your very kind welcome! I must say that I feel quite the newcomer after having a go at OFF and finding that there is so much more to it than "Point airplane at target. Shoot. Target falls down!" This morning I tried again at the BE2C and expended 950-odd rounds before it gave up the ghost, with me ballyhooing all over the sky trying to keep the target within a light year or so of my 08.15's. Ah, the joys of being a rank rookie! <G>

Shredward, we must have met in another virtual world! So here are a few photos, as requested, of a few of my models old and new:

Eduard 1/72nd scale Junkers J.1. This a/c is now in the Canada Aviation Museum:

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Albatros DV, Airfix 1/72nd, captured almost intact and re-marked for flight evaluation, 1917/18 ( really old build, mid '70's):

IMG.jpg

Sopwith Pup, Airfix 1/72nd, aircraft carrier trials, 1917 I think (another mid '70's build):

DSC_0008.jpg

Fokker Triplane (no kidding!), Paul Baumer's mount, 1917:

DSC_0004.jpg

'Nother Triplane (Roden 1/32nd scale) Lothar von Richthofen's mount, March 1918

Img0002-3.jpg

"Spitfire? Did someone say 'Spitfire?'" Airfix 1/24th scale, 609 Sqn, Battle of Britain. Flown by a Canadian pilot in the RAF:

::

Img0003-3.jpg

My next leap of faith WRT OFF will probably be to purchase a TrackIR. I just can't maintain situational awareness by flipping around with my joystick controls. I've seen TrackIR in action and it just has to be so much better than my current setup. So I'll spend a few weeks getting used to the system, upgun it with the TrackIR, and then, when I feel that I'll be somewhat "value added" to my compatriots, we'll try a few joint missions. I'm already set up on Teamspeak, and I assume that that is the comms system used for OFF. If so, I'd appreciate getting the data used to set it up for this group.

Thanks again for the welcome and the guidance, chaps. Most appreciated!

Cheers,

Trackpad

PS: I'll be sure to work on that "virtual beer" as well! TP

... having a go at OFF and finding that there is so much more to it than "Point airplane at target. Shoot. Target falls down!"

Now you know, why a man like Udet "only" had 60 victories in a relatively long service time. :cool:

This morning I tried again at the BE2C and expended 950-odd rounds before it gave up the ghost, with me ballyhooing

all over the sky trying to keep the target within a light year or so of my 08.15's. Ah, the joys of being a rank rookie!

Sounds a lot like the reports of the later aces about their first kills. You'll get there - but not overnight! :good:

Edited by Olham

I remember reading in a book years ago about some comment made by a combat pilot, If you think you are close enough to shoot get closer. It's not verbatim but you get the idea. The closer the better.

You're lucky you didn't start with a N11, it only has 194 rounds ;)

Beard

Hi m8..sorry I didnt notice you earlier..but welcome to OFF and the Forum....Nice models btw

Al,

I get the feeling that Trackpad was flying an Albatros and simply bemoaning his lack of accuracy (see the reference to 950 rounds). It's common enough Trackpad (welcome, by the way), and it simply requires a little (or a lot of) practice which I'm sure you'll gain. Trackir is a great move - you'll wonder how you flew without it once you have it.

It's worth reading the Survival in the Air primers available elsewhere on the site, and, of course, you're more than welcome to pick everyone's brains for information and tips.

One hint - create a pilot and tick the 'pilot never dies' box until you feel confident about your abilities, otherwise you'll spend an awful lot of time creating pilot after pilot.

Now then - mine's a pint of Marston's Pedigree, but as I'm in a hurry, make it two.

Cheers,

Si

Al,

I get the feeling that Trackpad was flying an Albatros and simply bemoaning his lack of accuracy (see the reference to 950 rounds). It's common enough Trackpad (welcome, by the way), and it simply requires a little (or a lot of) practice which I'm sure you'll gain. Trackir is a great move - you'll wonder how you flew without it once you have it.

It's worth reading the Survival in the Air primers available elsewhere on the site, and, of course, you're more than welcome to pick everyone's brains for information and tips.

One hint - create a pilot and tick the 'pilot never dies' box until you feel confident about your abilities, otherwise you'll spend an awful lot of time creating pilot after pilot.

Now then - mine's a pint of Marston's Pedigree, but as I'm in a hurry, make it two.

Cheers,

Si

Hello, Si and All,

You are right about the "lack of accuracy:" it's the inexperience factor showing up. I have a joystick that includes all controls, including rudder ( a "twist" usage) and it's taking a bit of time to get used to it. But a smidge of progress is being made: yesterday I was able to down an Eindekker with only 42 rounds from my Sopwith Triplane on a full-deflection engagement. Well, if I could do that consistently against Albatri D-III or better...now, that would be progress!<G> RIght now, I expect that it wasn't my eagle eye, steely nerve or lightning-fast reflexes: the term "blind, stupid luck" continually comes to mind...! And I've been able to try TrackIR for the first time, thanks to a friend of mine. Now, THAT is worthwhile! Takes a little getting used to, and the system has to be tweaked in a few dimensions, but it is light years ahead of the hat-button approach.

So bear with me for the next while. Over the following week or so, I expect to do free flights, single combat (with the "Do not die!" box firmly clicked) and read up on the notes provided on this site. Let's end this thread for the time being, and I"ll get back to the forum with more specific comments and questions, hopefully not addressing topics already well-discussed here. Many thanks for the help provided so far, gentlemen: it is most appreciated!

And, Si: "Marston's Pedigree?" I'll work on that requirement! :drinks:

Soo then you're saying I'm gonna see what works for me. Which is fine as it is yours. But how it was actually done in the War Years are written down.

What do they know .. they were only there ?

Be my Guest

No, that's not what I mean. What I mean is, I'm going have to learn how to use the equipment: how to fly properly, how to shoot accurately, how to read the information I get on screen quickly. I have no intention of rewriting the techniques and tactics of WW1 aviation combat, and I do apologise if that's what came across. For example, I have to be much less ham-fisted on the flight controls. I find that I'm overcorrecting massively, so I have to develop "the touch," as it were. That only comes with practice, so that's what I"ll be doing. Only when I have the basics down firmly can I progress to the upper levels, as it were. I'll be the last guy on this forum to say that I know better than "those who were there." Trust me: I don't! But I can certainly learn from them, and you, and other forumites, and try to improve to the point where, as I mentioned before, I'll be "value added." Again, sorry if I gave the wrong impression!

... I have to be much less ham-fisted on the flight controls. I find that I'm overcorrecting massively, so I have to develop "the touch," as it were.

That only comes with practice, so that's what I"ll be doing. Only when I have the basics down firmly can I progress to the upper levels, as it were.

I'll be the last guy on this forum to say that I know better than "those who were there." Trust me: I don't!

That is exactly how I was operating first as a rookie: ham-fisted (a great word!)

You will slowly get there, like the real life pilots had to learn to control their own aircraft first;

then to fly in formations, and then to recognise any enemies (Arthur Gould Lee describes that so great,

how his flight leader is diving and fireing on an enemy, and Lee doesn't see any. Even when they pull up

again, he cannot see the two-seater!).

And then, after even many more hours, you will develop your aiming and firing at, and hitting of enemy aircraft.

The sim has, as UncleAl says, a steep learning curve. But it will be rewarding so much!

Edited by Olham

That is exactly how I was operating first as a rookie: ham-fisted (a great word!)

You will slowly get there, like the real life pilots had to learn to control their own aircraft first;

then to fly in formations, and then to recognise any enemies (Arthur Gould Lee describes that so great,

how his flight leader is diving and fireing on an enemy, and Lee doesn't see any. Even when they pull up

again, he cannot see the two-seater!).

And then, after even many more hours, you will develop your aiming and firing at, and hitting of enemy aircraft.

The sim has, as UncleAl says, a steep learning curve. But it will be rewarding so much!

Olham,

Thanks for your comments. They outline my current situation precisely. I'm beginning to see that my "over the next week or so" is almost certainly phenomenally optimistic! However, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single...takeoff!" Vielen Danke!

Cheers, Trackpad! You'll get there!