After wacking the graphics up, I get these coloured dots flashing like crazy.

Any idea what it is, or how to solve it?

img00001.jpg

Thanks

Sure,update your DirectX libraries and graphics drivers :good:

what kind of GPU do you have? Might be it's choking on higher settings... Laptop build-in chipset?

Is the sun glare enabled?

Do you have many custom textures in your Flight folder, or are you using a customised environement system?

See if you can make it happen on a vanilla install, then you will know if the problem is system based or an incompatable mod.

Its a desktop, and the install is completely stock.

I don't know how to enable or disable sun glare, and - worse still - I don't know a thing about my GPU!

Where would I download the latest dx libraries. Graphics card drivers are up to date.

- Alex

I'm guessing you might be a novice when it comes to computers, if i'm wrong I appologise for the assumption.

What Operating system are you using, XP, Vista or 7?

If you google CPU-Z and GPU-Z these are small programs that can identify your components, alternatively if you go into the "Control Panel" and find and open "Device Manager" it should tell you there what processor, motherboard and graphics card you are using.

The more info you give us about your system and install the more we can help. :good:

Yes i'm definitely a computer novice...

Its Vista.

My GPU is a Radeon HD4350

512mb

bus width: 64bit

Cpu is AMD Phenom X4 9150e

What else is relevant?

Thanks

- Alex

in the games /Options (off the main title page), open the Graphics tab, and trun OFF Lens flare.

just as an experiment to see if it goes away.

You haven't added any envriomental mods by chance, and it started after that???

wrench

kevin stein

Just installed the latest patch, and everything's looking better!

One other question though (and thanks for your help) - looking at my system, what would you say is the best way - graphically - to get the best out of the sim?

What sort of graphics will lower my FPS and what can my system handle well? Can you actually work that out, or am I being a dunce?

Thanks anyway.

Effects, shadows, mirrors and horizon distance are the big fps hitters, reduce those to minimum and then play around with the others until you get the best compromise. Its trial and error really.

If you need any firther help just ask. :good:

Thanks very much! I was into the SF1 series a long time ago, and remember the friendliness of the community then - glad its still here!

Most of my FPS drop is when there's lots of other aircraft about (especially at home base). Otherwise its smooth as silk. I'm running everything on default "high".

What is it that's dropping my frames here? Any idea?

Did anyone ever manage to sort out the multiplayer issues with this sim/game? I've always thought it'd really come to life with f-4 squadrons fighting off human fishbeds!

- Alex

How much RAM (system memory) or you running? 1024 MB or less is not enough to run Windows 7 or Vista well, let alone with the added memory load imposed by a modern game or sim. Your system would be much happier with 2 GB, and will run best with 4 or more GB of RAM.

Also, your graphics card isn't really a ideal for this sort of work, a 512 frame buffer was great three of four years ago, 1024 is pretty much the accepted minimum standard today, even on entry level cards.

Memory tab on CPU-Z says a whole load of stuff I don't understand but on size it says: 4096 megabytes.

What's the best graphics option to drop to stop me getting the stutters near other aircraft?

As I say - otherwise its super smooth.

- Alex

You have 4gygabtes or 4096 megabytes of ram then, there are 1000 megabytes in a gigabyte.

Every plane, ground object and effect has to be taken out of the hard drive, then processed through the cpu, ram/memory and graphics card. The faster the cpu/processor, the more/faster ram/memory you have and the faster/more memory your graphics card is/has the more calculations you computer can handle in any given time. The part SF stresses the most is the cpu/processor. What is happening is, when you are around an airfield with all its ground objects or there is a high concentration of aircraft your computers components arn't fast enough to handle them and the calculations to process them get backlogged and causes a fps drop.

If this is in single mission then turn down, object detail, terrain detail and ground object to medium. Also try setting water to medium too. If this is happening in campaign there is an entry in the campaign_data.ini that you can alter to reduce the amount of aircraft in the air at once.

If like others you get into SF2 and feel the need to upgrade your system to use higher graphics settins let me know i've tried loads of different configurations of components to get the best out of SF.

Thanks for all that.

After a lot of experimenting i've worked out that virtually all of the lag is caused by shadows... What a pain as they look so good!

I guess there's no work arounds to make them more manageable for my system?

Not really mate, unfortunately SF is quite resource hungry. Your only option from here is to build a more powerful desktop.

With the 60hertz screen I have anything under 60fps causes a noticable stutter, especially noticable as I like to play Vietnam down in the weeds. Over the last 18 months i've managed to configure a desktop that can manage 60fps on unlimited settings using a modded install. However it was pricey and took a bit of trial and error.