Sign in to follow this  
whiteknight06604

cone de penetration

yeah that would be nice indeed

The worst is to create the 3D itself. To attach the spinner is quite easy. By the way, we still missing the Nieuport 21 - wich is a mix of Ni.17 whole body + Ni.11 cowling. :salute:

I figured that it would be rather "simple" as long as a 3D modder had the time.Of course it is easy for me to say simple since I'm not the one who will have to do it ;)

It looks like a hemisphere about half a meter in diameter? I'll have some time when I finish the Phoenix. Do you need it as an .lod file?

Stephen1918

Yes, it'd need to be in lod format, either colored via material or with a skin bmp. Then, it's a fairly easy matter to attach via the fake pilot method.

The same thing was done for me by one of the 3d guys for the P-38M NightLightning, to add the 2nd cockpit and radar pod under the nose.

wrench

kevin stein

Yes, it'd need to be in lod format, either colored via material or with a skin bmp. Then, it's a fairly easy matter to attach via the fake pilot method.

The same thing was done for me by one of the 3d guys for the P-38M NightLightning, to add the 2nd cockpit and radar pod under the nose.

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks wrench, I can make a spinner as soon as I catch up with other stuff. I'm new to this, can someone explain the "fake pilot method" or refer me to a place where I can learn it?

Stephen1918

thank you.I'm not sure of the size there isn't much on the net that I found.I have a pic of a plastic model that gives a decent idea of the size and shape.I also don't know if the rear was open or closed.I'll look for more info.Thanks again.this will make the Nieuport 17 varients a little more diverse. Thanks again.

Developed by FastCargo....

what the 'fake pilot' method is, in essence, adding an invisible pilot figure at the 0/0 coordinate of the model, and useing whatever the item-to-be-attached is as the pilot's seat. As such, it can be placed anywhere on the aircraft, and depending on the LOD, used for many purposes

Several uses come to mind ... the weapons pylons on my "What If" F-79 Manta flying wing fighter (really the Horton), the aformentioned P-38M, early user-made variants of the MiG-17P/PF/PFU, MiG-19P/PM (this is before we got real ones in SF2); all sorts of things.

How it works is something like this:

you add the {SystemName}***= to the aircraft component (as defined in the data ini...this is rather simplified from the Manta:

[Fuselage]

ModelNodeName=Fuselage

SystemName[001]=LeftEngine

SystemName[002]=RightEngine

SystemName[003]=Pilot

SystemName[004]=FuselageFuelCell

SystemName[005]=NoseGear

SystemName[006]=LeftMainGear

SystemName[007]=RightMainGear

SystemName[008]=LandingLight

SystemName[009]=F7Pylons1

SystemName[010]=F7Pylons2

SystemName[011]=Canopy

then, add the 'pilot and seat' to the cockpit section that declares the crew

//leftside//

[F7Pylons1]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

PilotModelName=FakePilot

Position=0,0,0

SeatModelName=F-79pylon

SeatPosition=-2.375,1.11,-0.05

SeatID=2

///rightside//

[F7Pylons2]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

PilotModelName=FakePilot

Position=0,0,0

SeatModelName=F-79pylon

SeatPosition=2.375,1.11,-0.05

SeatID=3

In this case, I needed 2 new "pilots" with 2 new "seats". You can see in the screen below, the 2 pylons

YOu can place the "seat" pretty much anwhere you want to. One of the downsides, is it WILL be visible from the cockpt with the "no cockpit" view, as the game may think it's a weapon of some sort, or other external aircraft component.

Thanks again, wrench. This seems like a useful thing to know, I'll give it a try...

Hello guys, if ayone wants to continue in my work on N.17 I can send you the origial 3DS file

then you dont eed any fake pilot method. You can even apply bump maps to it I believe so there

would be better effect on the wing etc.

Monty CZ

That is a very generous offer Monty.I hope someone with the tools and skill will take you up on that.In the meen time Stephen1918 has came through with the "fake pilot" model.once things settle down( my father passed away this week) I will get it uploaded.

I was just thinking that someone with Monty's model can mod it into a Nieuport 21.basicaly that was a Nie17 with a different engine and the cowling of the Nie11.

I'm almost sure that the new spinner applied by the "fake pilot" method won't spin or move! The new model 3D is my best bet. As for the Ni.21, the conversion seems to be very easy and fast for the 3ders.

while it's still not certain alot of the info I found on the net points to the "spinner" being a fixed device and not moving with the prop.It seems that there was a fixed shaft attached somehow.There is some controversy and a few differing opinions though.

Whiteknight I'm sorry to hear about your fathers passing! It's a hard thing to deal with I know. Take your time buddy and take care of yours. My prayers are with you.