Sign in to follow this  
Macklroy

Maybe I wasn't looking

Really intruiging title no?

Just finished a patrol over the front with my trusty nupe11 when I spoted 3 mono-wing scouts between our flight and our field.

Being as it was, we were sent up to look for enemy aircraft, and as it was we had not found any yet. I decided petrol reserves

were sufficient to signal our flight of three to engage theirs. A decicsion that ultimately resulted in the destruction of 4 previously

flyable aircraft (3 enemy :good: 1 friendly :this: )

Anyway to the point. I took a ss of the final victory (a shared one) and noticed that shell casings are visible. I've never noticed it.

zoomed around a bit to try and get the best shot. In this pic you can see not only the casings from my lewis gun but also my

wingmates. Very cool.

That's cool indeed, Mack! I have never seen that before! Must fly the Nupe again.

I noticed similar little grey strips just behind my B.E2 in ss from a recent scrap (also against Einies), but thought it must've just been debris from the Einie that I'd flown thru. If they are spent shell cases, I'm like you Mack and haven't ever noticed them before. But that is very cool! :good:

. . . just checked and I think I have 'captured' one just below my rudder in this shot (?)

. . . and (looking even closer) another one just leaving the gun (?)

post-63519-0-87957000-1307353745.jpg

Edited by TaillyHo

After all this time we only find them now.... OFF is still coming up with something new every week.

Have you never noticed them at all, or just with the Nieuport? Look at them with the DH2, they go flying right back into the prop. Need to have a bag on that Lewis!

JFM: - Just speaking for myself buy I had never noticed them at all. I haven't spent a lot of time in the DH2 either, Ill have to check it out.

Olham: - You're right. OFF never seems to cease to amaze. And I do strongly sugest a nieuport campaign. On a light petrol tank she flies loops and circles around the EIII's early in the war. Just have to make your shots count. Only one lewis gun with very limited ammo.

... I do strongly sugest a nieuport campaign. On a light petrol tank she flies loops and circles around the EIII's early in the war.

Just have to make your shots count. Only one lewis gun with very limited ammo.

Well, that speaks even more for flying her. Should keep the kill tally more realistic, I guess.