Sign in to follow this  
SDirickson

MJ, we need our own Top 25

I just read GameSpy's last 10 in their Top 25 flight sims of all time. Pitiful. The only actual flight sim on the list was LOMAC, at a dismal #18.

We need to set up a poll of some of the greatest say 50 flight sims, and pick the highest voted 25 out of the list. Present that little present to GameSpy and see how they like it. It makes me sick having games like Air Force Delta Strike in the Top 25. Especially not a console game that doesn't even need a stick.

Correction - The also had Microprose' B-17 Flying Fortress. Rather than comment on the difficult and realistic flying experience, they merely said that most of the time you'll spend behind the guns, fending off enemy aircraft'. Anybody who had played the game knows you spend most of your time navigating, flying and just trying to keep your shot up plane in the air.

Edited by SDirickson

Hear, hear!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted the news item this AM.

Some of their "selections" are just awful and I highly doubt the U.S. Air Force is backing this list 100%. My guess is that their sole purpose is to promote a recruiting campaign surrounding the article.

Our community of real-life active and retired pilots and service men here would probably be more than happy to help us out with this one. :search:

This is an excellent idea. Give me a day or two to get something together.

Well it is the top 25 "Flying Games" not Flight Sims, but yeah I was pretty pissed when I saw LoMac got beat out by SWON :shok:

Well it is the top 25 "Flying Games" not Flight Sims, but yeah I was pretty pissed when I saw LoMac got beat out by SWON :shok:

Was just going to post exactly the same comment.

I must admit that I haven't played 25 flightsims let alone all flying games though.

Lets see, we've got:

JFA-18

JF-15

JWWII Fighters

JLongbow 2

JLongbow

JATF

JU.S. Navy Fighters

Thats seven right there. USN'97 definately deserves more credit. I still occasionally bring it out and do some of the Vietnam missions. It had an awesome mission editor and quick mission utilities, as well as a gigantic number of aircraft.

Secret weapons of the Luftwaffe, Aces high by Hitech Creations, Aces of the Pacific, Aces over Europe, F-22 Lightning 3, Red Baron, Strike Fighters, IL2FB to add a few more names of very good Fluight sims/games. Be interesting to see what else they come up with...

And you can't forget FS95, 98, 2000, 2002, and 2004, CFS I, II, III. Of course, only about 3 of those are worth putting on the list, but hey, they're all actual flight sims.

Yeah, that's the catch-all, isn't it: "Flying Games"

Heck, I've caught enough air hurdling a Marauder off the top of a parking garage and over a set of elevated train rails in Grand Theft Auto III to constitute it as a Flying Game. :biggrin:

We'll have to be careful in how we word it. Will it be held strictly to winged birds, or to include helo sims? Hmm...

Falcon should be on that list too.

And (naturally) LOMAC / Flanker.

Haha, I think you'd have a hit put on you by some of these folks if you didn't include helo sims. Just because they beat the air into submission doesn't mean they aren't flying.

I would be the first to chip in the money... :grin:

Being a Helosim junkie, I can't imagine a best flight sims list WITHOUT helos, especially when you look back at some of the best sims (period) include titles like Longbow 2 and EECH IMHO...

what about Mig Alley and B-17II,EAW and of course SF and soon WoV.and oh yeah one of my all time favorites FS:SDOE and Red Baron 3D.

Red Baron 3d , of course, without it I wouldn't have ever gotten into simming.

I would be the first to chip in the money... :grin:

Lemme just dodge a few tomatoes here :tomato: I own a copy of Longbow and a few others.

Hey! Would it be too dangerous to do a Top 25 all-time greatest sims? That would include Naval/Sub and maybe even Tactical? Too broad of scope?

{SlickWili checks the broad out in the scope.}

Might have to increase the count to 50 if we did that.

And F117A, Tornado, TFX and EF2000 etc., that were all awesome in their day.

EDIT: Forgot to mention AV8B, I liberated East Timor a few times in that sucker. :)

Edited by zzzspace

GameSpy's updated their little article with yet another page, which you can preview here. OMG... ghastly awful stuff. And you'll NEVER believe what earned a #12 spot. :shok:

All the more reason for us to do this sim industry justice.