Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT Info for Olham

Hi Olham

I think it was you who was interested as to whether CFS2 runs on Windows 7?

Got it running no trouble on mine (64bit)....just had to ensure T&L was turned OFF in the graphics setting of the game.

Really having a blast!.....takes me back...and well worth a look, if you need a break from the rigours of WW1 combat :drinks:

I've even dug out my old Combat Aces cd...it's pretty lame of course, compared to other WW1 sims!!! :lol:

Yes, it was me - thanks for the info!

Still remember one mission, where I had to stop Japanese torpedo bombers approaching our US carrier.

I was flying "wave-tip-level" and shot one after the other down from even slightly underneath.

(And they WERE flying low alrady!)

Did you have to use tricks, or did it simply work? What is T&L ?

Hi Olham T&L is textures and lighting,i too have CFS2 working in win 7,i didnt put it in usual place (e.g c:\program filesx86 \microsoft\cfs2) but just c:\games\cfs2 instead

and also ran it with admin status on,hope that helps Adger

Okay, thank you, guys! But right now, I am flying OFF more than ever.

I'll keep it in mind though.

No probs...I'll post if I find anything else of interest, mod or download wise :drinks:

Yes, it was me - thanks for the info!

Still remember one mission, where I had to stop Japanese torpedo bombers approaching our US carrier.

I was flying "wave-tip-level" and shot one after the other down from even slightly underneath.

(And they WERE flying low alrady!)

Did you have to use tricks, or did it simply work? What is T&L ?

That sounds like 'Butch' O'Hare's mission, one of my favourites too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_O%27Hare

Always liked CFS2, with all its limitations still a better Pacific war sim than Pacific Fighters IMHO. Never really took to the Combat Aces WW1 addon, a nice plane selection but their textures were CFS1 standard not CFS2, and the German missions started you off in a Fokker against DH2s and N17s without a nice, easy bit of Fokker Scourge against hapless BE2s to get you into the groove. Plus the FMs were a bit turgid and the AI seemed unable to handle WW1 planes...Lawn Darts, anyone? At least you got the (invisible) mechanic talking to you as he spun the prop and wishing you 'good luck' or 'hals and beinbruch' (according to custom). Loved the CFS2 Dambusters addon, couldn't see the keyboard properly with the lights off but the roar from those four Merlins as you rolled down the Scampton runway on takeoff, was worth the price of admission on its own.

No, LIMA, the Jap torpedo bombers I attacked were Nakajima "Kate", I believe to remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakajima_B5N

But I remember that "Betty-mission" you meant. It was quite dangerous, cause their defensive fire was quite good.

No, LIMA, the Jap torpedo bombers I attacked were Nakajima "Kate", I believe to remember.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Nakajima_B5N

But I remember that "Betty-mission" you meant. It was quite dangerous, cause their defensive fire was quite good.

Ah, I must try that one, I thought you had some magic shield against the Betty gunners! If I was careful and stuck to short firing passes, I could get a few of them but any effort to get them all before they got to the Lexington, by being less cautious, ended in my getting my engine shot off its bearers, usually. Kates sound like they might be easier prey than those G4Ms; at least there are no 20mm rear guns to worry about in WW1.

Kates sound like they might be easier prey than those G4Ms; at least there are no 20mm rear guns to worry about in WW1.

Yep, when you attack the Kates from below their six, they're helpless.

The Betty always smoked me. I might have got one or two, but then they finished me off.

But hey - no wonder with those weapons! 20mm rearward guns? Jeeze!