Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Have we got a Malta?

We should have - it was the fighter pilot's paradise, so to speak.

These are from the first batch of 16 Spitfires ferried by HMS Eagle during Operation Spotter - 15 aircraft finally took off from the carrier under S/L Stan Grant on 7th March 1942, and all 15 arrived safely in Malta. They were handed over to No.249 Sqn at Takali. Two weeks later when a further 9 aircraft arrived on Operation Picket I, only two of the initial batch were still airworthy.

They were all newly-built MkVb aircraft received by No.8 MU and specially ferried to Gibraltar for embarkation on Eagle. It is practically unheard of for a squadron to have aircraft with consecutive serial numbers, but here, one or two gaps aside, it was the case!

Now if a MAX-er would build me a fake pylon Vokes filter, it'd look far better...

post-30645-0-21530900-1307464422.jpg

post-30645-0-11583400-1307464478.jpg

post-30645-0-17633300-1307464490.jpg

Most cool! Malta is one of my favorite places for simming.

Any chance you could make a blue/tan Maltese skin for the Mk V?

Nice. Only malta I know is A-teams MAW but none for SF2.

Malta is on the Libya map.

Most cool! Malta is one of my favorite places for simming.

Any chance you could make a blue/tan Maltese skin for the Mk V?

Of course! It's on the list - Further MkVBs and VCs from 126 and 249 Sqns. I'm just doing things more-or-less chronologically.

Malta is on the Libya map.

Thanks - didn't know that!

Edited by ndicki

Just needs WW2 AA guns added in instead of modern weps. as i think its modern malta

Well, I've just had a look, and it is there... Except it is, well, somewhat symbolic. That is fine, given that the terrain seems to have been built with more up-to-date concerns in mind, with US air bases in Sicily and the Evil Ones living in Libya. If I were an Apache or Typhoon pilot, I'd be on that bit of terrain all day!

But for WW2 Malta, it would need to be much more accurate...