Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT I hope this sees the light of day

It's been three years in the making (so far)

Finally! I'm also hoping "The Few" makes it to the screen, as well as the long rumored "Dambusters" remake.

-S

Isn't this a short film?

I remember whatching what I presume was the full length of it on a video that was posted on the Cliffs of Dover forums a while back, I'll see if I can find it.

Ah, nevermind - I found the thread on the CoD forum that showed the whole thing, but the video was removed from YouTube due to a copyright claim. :this:

Ah, nevermind - I found the thread on the CoD forum that showed the whole thing, but the video was removed from YouTube due to a copyright claim. :this:

Thats a shame...I didnt realise it was a short

Since "Pearl Harbour" I was wondering, when anyone would make a new "Battle of Britain" movie.

CGI tech makes it possible. The aircraft still didn't look perfect here, and their movements are still

a bit too jet-like, but maybe it will be refined? I'd like to see a new "BoB" version with great flying

and air combat stuff!

:salute: I remember hearing that they were doing a remake of Dambusters then Nothing. Still do hope for that or a BoB before all the old a/c become non flyable. :good: I was wondering

if any OFFERS have read Jack Hunters second book " The Ace " I saw it on eBay ,of course his first book was " The Blue Max. " ( I think it was Hunter):drinks:

Edited by carrick58

Speaking of Peter Jackson, (Dambusters), isn't he also making the Hobbit?

I hadn't read the Hobbit for ages, and my first thought when hearing there was to be a film was it was pretty much a kiddies book and there wasn't an awful lot in the Hobbit to make a movie about. How wrong I was.

I just recently read it again however, and I reckon it'll be just fine. I'd forgotten such a lot. Massed ranks of Dwarves, Elves and Men, and goblins at war, and a dragon of course. Should be a worth a watch right enough.... should be a cracker in fact. Bring it on!

Elves, Dwarfs and Dragons in "Dambusters"??? :grin:

Speaking of Peter Jackson, (Dambusters), isn't he also making the Hobbit?

I hadn't read the Hobbit for ages, and my first thought when hearing there was to be a film was it was pretty much a kiddies book and there wasn't an awful lot in the Hobbit to make a movie about. How wrong I was.

I just recently read it again however, and I reckon it'll be just fine. I'd forgotten such a lot. Massed ranks of Dwarves, Elves and Men, and goblins at war, and a dragon of course. Should be a worth a watch right enough.... should be a cracker in fact. Bring it on!

The Hobbit has been hit with some setbacks and delays. But apparently is in production and filming now. Losing New Line Production's access and deep pockets probably has created more problems than they anticipated.

Can't see the second one here, but the first video is great, UncleAl!!! :rofl:

Very nice.

But why do later film makers, especially with CGI at their disposal, always have a cannon-armed B wing model Spit? Only one squadron, No. 19, actually had them during the BoB. Assuming this is supposedly set in 1940, with those ranks of He 111s in the background?

The Hobbit has been hit with some setbacks and delays. But apparently is in production and filming now. Losing New Line Production's access and deep pockets probably has created more problems than they anticipated.

Wow, now I check there are two Hobbit films? One next year and a second the year after? Hmmmmmm.... I smell a box office conspiracy to make me go twice. We shall see what emerges, but I'd rather see one good film than two turkeys.

Hobbit's not a big book, but, then again, look at the War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. When I first bought that book I thought I had inadvertantly bought an abridged version. Nope, that's it, so you need to make the most of it. Come to think, I would like to see a War of the Worlds movie contemporary with the victorian period and London backdrop as it was written, not a modernised american version. That's not to offend the Americans, but just to be more faithful to the book. Go on Thunderchild! Get into them!! I still need to pinch myself that Jeff Waines classical War of the Worlds music with Richard Burton narrating isn't actually a sound track for a movie, even an animated version. It's such a classic you just want more!

"But why do later film makers, especially with CGI at their disposal, always have a cannon-armed B wing model Spit? Only one squadron, No. 19, actually had them during the BoB. Assuming this is supposedly set in 1940, with those ranks of He 111s in the background?"

Something of a peeve of mine. In fact, most of the RAF fighters in the BoB were Hurricanes! Also, Heinkels were supplemented with DO17's and JU88's, plus ME110's in various roles (although not, after the early exchanges, primarily as fighters).

And, as a comment on CGI graphics, may I comment that those in The Red Baron film are the biggest pile of wannabe-Biggles s**te it's been my misfortune to watch since the first Star Wars film.

Aye, cannon armed Spitfires are understandable in pre-CGI productions, like the TV series 'Piece of Cake' due to the requirement of using surviving spitfires for filming, and there being a lot more later models such as Mk Vs and IXs as opposed to the MG armed Mk Is and IIas, but at least in that they painted them green and brown rather than the later green and grey - with a CGI based production it just seems lazy. (I think it's meant to be set in November 1940, but from when I recently made a model Spit IIb I think I read that they didn't use grey/green camo with yellow leading edges until 1942.)

Think the Spitfire in the short is meant to be a Mk Vb.

Granted not everyone is as geeky as us!

There is one very silly scene in the short though, which I'll put in a spoiler as I don't want to ruin it for anyone. :grin:

The Spitfire runs out of ammo chasing the 109 at low level (about 100 feet at most) so he decides to fly next to the 109 and ram the 109s wing with his own, resulting in both Aircraft losing wings and crashing - only for both pilots to miraculously escape certain death and go chasing eachother...

Now here's some pre CGI Spitage, there are some things that you can only do with real Spitfires! :salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVZ4W_2Iec

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Quite interesting to see what goes into constructing the shots. Flight/fight scenes look amazing. And on the ground, it appears the two pilots are also locked in a struggle - like Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune in "Hell in the Pacific" or the sci-fi remake of it with Dennis Quaid and Lou Gossett, Jr., "Enemy Mine"

He's got me going about 'Hell in the Pacific' now too!...just had to order a copy from Amazon

I don't know, when you look at Tochi's CGI clips, like the famous "Merlins" clip, I reckon you could do whatever you wanted with CGI and make it convincing, and I don't think we are anywhere near the boundaries of what CGI will be able to do eventually. I think films will just get better and better, and the limiting factor will indeed be the research put into the making of it. Never mind CGI and 3D screens, I look forward to the day you can put your head right in the cockpit TrackIR style....

Regarding the prominance of He 111's, that might be a hangover from MGM's Battle of Britain, when there were 9 (I think) He111 's available for filming. These were still in service with the Spanish Air Force, and as far as I know, apart from 109's, there weren't any other German aircraft in air worthy condition. No Stukas, 110's, or Dorniers. When you see the Airfix stukas attacking the radar stations, I have to agree that they made the right decision to stick with real 111's rather than airfix substitutes.

I totally agree it's nice to see things done right, but then again, if we let ourselves get upset about cannons on our grey green Spits featuring more that 303s, (and I agree, it is a niggling error), but just imagine being a WW2 armour afficianado and having to watch the Battle of the Bulge every christmas. Even Kelly's Heroes managed to find at least some Tigers. :dntknw:

You know what I also look forward to? Big budget movies yes, but also, as CGI improves, you'll get amateur film makers having a go at their own movies. You already see some good stuff on youtube, and it's only amatter of time before there are other Tochi's putting together their own feature length CGI efforts. I also believe SIMs like this will have a big contribution to make towards realism. We already have Avatar's CGI world which looks amazing. The real test will be to make Earth in CGI and for us not to be able to tell the difference. I suspect we might be there already. If conspiracy theorists thought the Moon landings were fake, well, they just won't be able to leave the house.

That footage of MikeDixon shows, how much the CGI guys still have to learn to get right.

And if they don't watch such material, they'll never get there.

The lighting, the shimmering, the blurredness in fast movements - all this still doesn't look right.

Here is the Battle of Britain stuff from "Pearl Harbour" - again, the CGI craft don't move realistic enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxT2l_u8p-E&feature=related

That footage of MikeDixon shows, how much the CGI guys still have to learn to get right.

And if they don't watch such material, they'll never get there.

The lighting, the shimmering, the blurredness in fast movements - all this still doesn't look right.

Here is the Battle of Britain stuff from "Pearl Harbour" - again, the CGI craft don't move realistic enough:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I agree, to a point, but do you remember the clip posted a few weeks ago about the German WW1 staffel forming up in the Howard Hugh's film? It was so clinical and well executed, if I had seen that in a modern CGI film, I would never have believed it was actually real, not in a million years.

Yes, indeed, that is a great scene, and I have the film on DVD.

That's exactly what I meant - the people who do such CGI scenes for movies, should watch the real thing.

And they may even surprise us with such a "clinical operation".

But in "Flyboys" or "Der Rote Baron", we realise that they hadn't even taken

the time to watch WW1 aircraft replicas flying - or a damn producer messed

it all up by demanding faster action.

Part of the problem is probably that when they were 'forced' to use real aircraft in films, they couldn't make them fly twice as fast as they really could and couldn't make them do crazy impossible maneuvers, and were stuck with more realistic looking flying that in their opinion was probably more 'boring' than they'd have wanted (but most of us prefer it like that because of our interest in the aircraft.)

Where as with CGI they can make these aircraft do whatever 'cool' stuff they want with massive explosions and the like.

And for the ultimate example of non CGI action:

120,000 extras. :blink:

But these days, without CGI it's unlikely we'd ever see such a scene again - unless the Chinese decide to make a War film!