Sign in to follow this  
Pips

Sooooo Much Better Here ...

yes,,,WOLF3D...Doom...even rise of the triad brings back great memories,,,I wonder what the new Duke Nukem will be like

Does "press LMB to piss" give you any clues. :rofl:

Does "press LMB to piss" give you any clues. :rofl:

hahaha...so, it's 'traditional' then?

"Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride"

classic gaming!

You guys made me wallowing in nostalgia; so I compiled my 90s Caviar Collection:

PS: Damn, I forgot "DIABLO"

Those aircraft sims is a classic example of just how quickly graphics improved in that time.

But no Red Baron? Shame on you! :yikes:

Edited by Pips

Yes, Pips, it's cruel to know, that everyone else here used to fly and enjoy "RED BARON 3D".

It failed pretty badly in Germany; got bad reviews, and quickly landed in the "bargain bin".

I never bought it.

Nowadays, I don't give a damn about German Gamer Magazines.

Edited by Olham

Olham.....fabulous collage....never tried any of the others....my loss I'm sure....had fun w/ CFS 1,2,3. Kicked off with that tiny MAC blob on the desk that played "Hellcats Over the Pacific"......HUGE advance to F18 Hornet....and then the world went PC and....CFS 1...as dated as it seems...blew 'em all away. Nice to see another dedicated madman out of the closet....my wife still looks askance as the "your favorite model" rolls down the runway for the...how manyeth time to sally forth to glory. Good on you all!!!

Got more flying time out of EAW (European Air War) than all of my other sims combined. Played it for the better part of 7 years.

Although not the best 'graphically' (which a lot of folks judge a game/sim) none of the other sims ever matched its scale. All of

the IL2 serries really failed in that respect. I do believe with the addition of p4 though it will rapidly get closer to 50-50.

I haven't played another sim for more than a few hours since I picked up OFF. :drinks:

I haven't played another sim for more than a few hours since I picked up OFF. :drinks:

Same with me, Mack! Cheers!

:drinks:

Yes, Pips, it's cruel to know, that everyone else here used to fly and enjoy "RED BARON 3D".

It failed pretty badly in Germany; got bad reviews, and quickly landed in the "bargain bin".

I never bought it.

Nowadays, I don't give a damn about German Gamer Magazines.

Did you ever try out the various mods for RB3D like Full Canvas Jacket or the various guises of Western Front Patch and Pol's own Reload patch? It's the sole reason I kept my old VooDoo 4500 vid card for so long.

No, I never tried or got any of it. For you, it is nostalgia of course, but for me OFF is now,

what RB3D used to be for you. OFF is one of the greatest finds I made in my life.

No, I never tried or got any of it. For you, it is nostalgia of course, but for me OFF is now,

what RB3D used to be for you. OFF is one of the greatest finds I made in my life.

Nostalgia? maybe..:blink: More that the gameplay was engaging, just like OFF. You have to understand we got to OFF on the shoulders of those who made RedBaron into a reasonable simulation that was far more immersive than it was stock. And I'm comparing it also to one of the other sims in that Combat Flight sim collage you posted, Flying Corps Gold which was really not so great in game play, although it did have really cool ground activity and very accurate maps and terrain. But it had no campaign worthy of the name.

Although I do not post very much, I do stop by the forum almost daily. I enjoy playing (flying) OFF and getting P4 screenshot updates and also enjoy the banter and plenty of the "tongue in cheek" humor.

I think I need to buy a round.

Cheers!

Crossbones

Hey, Crossbones - nice to see you! I'll have a virtual Warsteiner then! Cheers!

I've long grown accustomed to the polished manners of CA posters (apart from Uncle Al ,of course! - BTW, that's a joke, Al), and I've learned enormous amounts of invaluable information on these boards, and, I hope, forged a few friendships. I also bob over to SimhQ and whilst it may be controversial to say it, I'm very disappointed with their attitude. One RoF thread was started recently by somebody wanting to flog his copy, and was then jumped on by various posters who simply expressed bile. A few more reasonable posters pointed out that that wasn't a reasonable attitude, but the nail in the coffin came when one of the moderators - no, really, one of the people charged with keeping the forum as evenhanded as possible - steamed in, posted something which insulted (to my mind) the original poster, and then locked the thread to disable any more input. How s**tty is that?

I mailed the OP expressing support for his stance, and I'm hoping that others did too. To be insulted and written off simply because they didn't buy the sizzle is appalling. If someone bought OFF and decided - for whatever reasons - to sell it on, I'd simply say to them 'thanks for trying, and having the faith in the first place'. I certainly wouldn't be slagging them off in public, and neither would I expect the hosting site to join in. Obviously standards are different elsewhere.

My god you are right, and I think the SF1 and 2 community is rough. Sheesh.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3314542/1.html

The first comment and it all went down from there.

Hmm.

Not very impressive was it?

And that's exactly why I prefer CA. It doesn't matter what the conversation's about (although it's usually flight sims), but I find that there's a maturity and willingness to accept opposite viewpoints without recourse to rancour, or deletion, or thread locking - well done Freycinet - that persuades me that I'm conversing with adults here. Something, sadly, that I can't necessarily say about SimHQ.

I suppose it's possible that if OFF had a massive following and dozens of people online singing its praises then the OFF forums here might degenerate into a bipolar back-slapping/witch-finding experience, but I somehow doubt it.

I continue to post over at SimHQ, in the after action reports to give OFF a little much needed visibility, but other than that, I simply stand back and look on whilst shaking my head.

Well I will be honest, I'm biased about CA. I have gone off the deep end getting pissed off and jumped on some people instead of just moderating. However being one of the Founders of this site I reserve the right to be an asshole at my discretion.

That last part is a joke..

Hey, Crossbones - nice to see you! I'll have a virtual Warsteiner then! Cheers!

Olham, I've never tried a Warsteiner. I need to try and get my hands on a real one. I will check that out at my local importer. Until then, we can enjoy the virtual!:drinks:

Crossbones

Well I'm not too sure what this thread's actually about anymore - but as it's going on, and you've posted here buying a round . . . welcome Crossbones! :drinks:

You can make that 2 Warsteiners if you please - I'll trust Olham's judgement in this matter.

Do you fly campaigns in OFF? If so, hunt on over to the 'reports from the front' thread sometime and give us your perspective on the air war!

Anyhoo - thanks for the beer, old chap - bottom's up!!

I'm eagerly awaiting OFF 4, but I also very much enjoy ROF. With the new update, it's really an exceptional sim.

Any irritating people I encounter along the way I just ignore.

I'm eagerly awaiting OFF 4, but I also very much enjoy ROF. With the new update, it's really an exceptional sim.

Any irritating people I encounter along the way I just ignore.

P4 may still take some time, Queeg - are you flying P3 already?

P4 may still take some time, Queeg - are you flying P3 already?

I am, though I've been glued to ROF lately. But I do have and enjoy OFF as well.

Both sims have their merits and I'm happy to support both. We're fortunate to have two excellent WWI sims that offer different approaches. I've never seen it as a zero sum game.

Good attitude, Queeg, I think the same way.

If you send me a PM with your town and country, I'll add you to the "OFF Forum Pilots Maps".