Sign in to follow this  
FLOGGER23

Ships in SF2 Series as targets

Just a simple question, if i want to make a Warship, to become a target in SF2 Series, should i change the Datafile from Warship to Cargoship, like the previous series, or the new game can select them automatically?

TIA

If you're talking about Anti-Ship missions, they still are generated from CARGO_SHIP types.

Though my experiences show they are not randomized like in the old days. (Alphabetically looking in the groundobjects folder, first 4 CARGO_SHIP would be randomized)

Now only the first CARGO_SHIP type, that has an ANSI coded INI file is picked. (Not one that has sf2 standard Unicode type INI file!)

Somebody else should confirm this but I think there's a bug here..

well , its possible i think i've played wrench's modern darwin and i saw ships ( and war ships ) in a strike mission and you can attack them!

but how? only wrench can tell you.

just look at the targets ini -- this is used on the wW2 maps as well*. They're in dedicated off-shore 'convoy' stations. They'll only be tasked in STRIKE missions. BTW, they're radars will NOT show up on a TEWS, even if you have the correct RWR tga and have the radar type listed in the various and sundry rwrlist inis.

the most recent Modern Darwin has a lot of them removed, they just got in the way.

the game engine just treat it like any other target area, in single missions. As for campaigns??? :dntknw: ???

*as it was Edward that originally did these maps, it was his idea; I just borrowed it.

same for campaigns IIRC, target areas for STRIKE sorties (Edward's Solomons years ago)

Do you guys also get the same ship as target in ANTI_SHIP missions?

It used to be the first 4 ships that were classified as CARGO_SHIP, now the randomizer doesn't seem to work for me.

As someone who wants to make a lot of warships for the series, this has always been my biggest complaint. I'm not sure why TK doesn't just include the "warship" type along with "cargo_ship" for anti-ship missions. The code would probably consist of a comma and a single word, amirite?

dntknw.gif

Anyway, I wonder if there's a workaround for campaigns, like defining ships as ground forces or something?

check the midway mod there we have CAS againts ships but the ships had to put has tanks and a new nation was made just for this and special formations too