Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

USAF Air superiority - The Last Ace

Interesting read for those interested

check out the AIM-7 photo: "THIS IS AN AIM-7 AIR-TO-AIR MISSILE SHOT FROM AN F‑15 EAGLE DETONATING ON AN IRAQI MIG‑29 FULCRUM DURING OPERATION DESERT STORM."

"]http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/03/the-last-ace/7291/[/img]

Edited by MigBuster
  • Like 1

It has been magnified or it's photo shopped.

I believe AIM-7 is proximity fuzed. It goes off away from aircraft with shotgun type of effect(ball bearings or rods).

Maybe an ordy can tell us.

From what he describes I'm not sure we are seeing the entire photo there (where is the F-15?)- would need a higher res image - and not easy to tell the actual range either.

I believe AIM-7 is proximity fuzed. It goes off away from aircraft with shotgun type of effect(ball bearings or rods).

I believe the AIM-7 is both a hit-to-kill weapon, and proximity fused. I think it all has to do with what the circumstance are when the missile finds its target. I could be wrong though.

The silhouette of the aircraft in the picture looks like a Mig-23 to me. I know Col. Rodriguez shot down both a Mig-23 and Mig-29 in Desert Storm, but his Fulcrum kill was achieved through maneuvering. Either way great article Mig Buster, Thanks

The silhouette of the aircraft in the picture looks like a Mig-23 to me. I know Col. Rodriguez shot down both a Mig-23 and Mig-29 in Desert Storm, but his Fulcrum kill was achieved through maneuvering. Either way great article Mig Buster, Thanks

The picture is not the silhouette of a Mig-23 but a nose on view of an AIM-7 Sparrow.

Compare and Contrast This.

http://cdn.theatlant...f22_003_200.jpg

With This.

http://gigapan.org/g...apshots/204942/

The picture is not the silhouette of a Mig-23 but a nose on view of an AIM-7 Sparrow.

Compare and Contrast This.

http://cdn.theatlant...f22_003_200.jpg

With This.

http://gigapan.org/g...apshots/204942/

Oh I see now, I guess I missed that, thanks. I thought it was a view from an F-15 of a missile about to strike an enemy aircraft. But I see now that this photo shows Rodriguez's F-15 in a defensive maneuver, while the Aim-7 is the one fired by Craig Underhill.

This is off topic, but one other USAF fighter pilot since the Vietnam War also scored three aerial victories. Capt. Wilbur Wright shot down three Serb J-21 over Bosnia in 1994, however Col. Rodriguez was the last pilot with three aerial vicrtories to remain in USAF service until 2 years ago. If anyone has seen dogfights on the History channel it shows all three of Col. Rodriguez's aerial kills in two episodes, I'd reccomend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Edited by warthog64

Oh I see now, I guess I missed that, thanks. However Col. Rodriguez did not shoot down a Mig-29 with an Aim-7 in Desert Storm. He did shoot down a Mig-29 over Bosnia in 1999 but he used a Aim-120.

Its the AIM-7 from his wingman Craig "Mole" Underhill apparently - check out page 2 or 3 I think :good:

But yes you are right ezlead, this is very close. The Mig was obviously milliseconds from destruction when this was taken.

Its the AIM-7 from his wingman Craig "Mole" Underhill apparently - check out page 2 or 3 I think :good:

I didn't realize there were more pages to the story, I assumed it was Underhill's missile but thanks for letting me know that there were more pages to clear that up. Very interesting story. Thanks Mig Buster

Edited by warthog64

I read somewhere a few years ago that this was taken from a drone....

I don't see how you guys are seeing an F-15 in that tiny, grainy image.

I don't see how you guys are seeing an F-15 in that tiny, grainy image.

Didnt think we were - the article describes features that don't appear to be in that shot, or you cant make them out.

But I see now that this photo shows Rodriguez's F-15 in a defensive maneuver, while the Aim-7 is the one fired by Craig Underhill.

This is what I was reading. I guess I misunderstood.