Sign in to follow this  

I currently have all of the first series of the games and I'm getting ready to purchase one of the second version of the games and wanted the opinion of the community which would be a good choice to buy that would allow me to get the most bang for my buck. In other words which game I could add aircraft, terrain etc. Also will the second series games run on Win XP?

Thanks,

T.

Edited by TSgtT

Depends on what you already own, you can convert the aircraft and maps in the first gen games to be compatible with second gen games but there are nicer models of some aircraft and cockpits in the second generation games.

If I were you I would upgrade to windows7 or Vista before I bought SF2... in order to take advantage of the improved graphics.

People used to bitch about vista but I have vista 64 bit ultimate and I freaking love it.... once you learn to install the game in your users(your name) folder and figure how to put the slap down the UAC issues, Vista 64 ultimate Is great.

• Like 1

Agreed. Win-7 is what you want.

If you just want to stick a toe in the water, I suggest Europe. I just got SF2 Euro, and the expansion pac. Its pretty nice.

I mainly looked at the planeset. One of the big ones for me back in the old days was F-105.

Folks, a flyable F-105 in a combat flight sim: when has that ever happened? Also, Hunters and all versions of Lightning in SF2 Euro. That is amazing.

• Like 1

You really can't go wrong with any version of SF2, they're all great. Also you can always purchase other versions down the road if you'd like and merge them into one install (that's what I've done). Unfortunately windows 7 is what you need, and I think the cheapest you can find it anywhere is 90 dollars for the basic version. However it is well worth it in my opinion, and I myself had to save money for about five months to afford windows 7 on my salary, however it was 180.00 for the basic version when I bought it almost two years ago, so it will probably not take as long now as it did then to afford it. But you won't be sorry, they are all great games!

Edited by warthog64

The best feature of SF2, IMHO, is the in game mission editor. It is fantastic. Now it only comes with Expansion Pack 2 (IIRC), so I recommened SF2 Euro + Exp Pack 2.

JB5

• Like 1

Well best would be a full merged Game.

Get em all, so you´ll have all features for all games.

But if you don´t have that money, get SF2E + EXP2

SF2+SF2V+SF2E+SFI+Exp1+Exp2 is really the best option.

But SF2E+SF2I+Exp2 is good one too (so you have flyable Mirages for Europe install and Mission Editor)

Folks, a flyable F-105 in a combat flight sim: when has that ever happened?

Janes USAF :grin:

Janes USAF :grin:

wasn't it also in Jet Pilot for Amiga 500?

If you're going for historical real battles go for SF2V and SF2I. For SF2V you will the super exp pack Eburger and Malibu43 did which is pure gold. Highly recommended IMHO

I think if I personally only wanted 1 or 2 of the new series I would choose SF2V and SF2E

wasn't it also in Jet Pilot for Amiga 500?

Never tried that one. So I really can't tell

Jet Pilot for Amiga has F-104 and EE Lightning.

Agree with SF2E+EXP2 for STARTERS. It will keep you busy while you save your pennies for the next installment. :)