Geez it takes ages...this is my 1st attempt at a base...and as its local decided to try st athans...got loads of pics etc and have google earth lol....heres a wip of correct scale (note2x Pr9 Canberras (scaled to real world scale)at runway Right) model so far...ive built the runway,taxiways etc as one,(where they join) til ive got them all done...

I like doing this its a break from a\c...I will of course need some assistance to place etc...later so dont go away...lol

st athans.jpg

• Like 1

Great Idea Russ! :good:

Just talked yesterday with Pureblue about Fairford Ab.... :grin:

an old Idea* struck me Russo right now again :idea: -add in the surrounding sat image as planar mesh being part of the base -this way it could be placed on any terrain** without the need to re-tiling the underlying terrain to match the layout -similar way like the CFS3 target areas/airfields were made. Being terrain object, the set could be used in any season too -would be matter of just recolouring the "underlying" satellite imagery-mapped part:

*I was thinking about it long time ago, but I thought someone will come up with this anyway

**given it's flat spot of course

The problem with that Stary is, the zbuffer issue with flat objects...

Any ground/terrain object you place on top of that planar mesh will sink as you the camera gets higher.

One of the worse bugs of the game (though TK had it fixed in a patch and then broke it again!)

Anyway, that's why I've started to place hangars and buildings right on the terrain, not on top of a flat concrete mesh.

Can't do it for everything of course but at least these hangars won't be invisible from 5000 feet like the parked aircraft (stock game feature!)

Edited by PureBlue

yeah I think thats the big showstopper for such way of making new airfield/base mesh. I thought TK fixed that :this:

Nice progress Russo! Airbase modeling gets really addictive.

I could make the green area stary drew as part of the model...I will use the imagery as texture for base and build hangers etc just a tad wider\longer to cover the photo images of the buildings.

Russo you could model it as independent mesh (not build into main runway/taxis LOD) but with exact same pivot point -then it could be added OR disabled depending on terrain issues/patch levels. Just an idea of course, not a request :grin:

stary yes agreed,I should have clarified what I meant...I mean as a seperate mesh indeed.