Sign in to follow this  
liamp51

Favorite Music Genre?

What are you guys' favorite music genres? I like many different kinds of music; rock, jazz, classical ect. ect....

I especially like classical though. Mozart being my favorite classical composer. You can't beat this:

on a cold winter day. :grin:

Interested to know what music genres/artists you all like!

Punk/New Wave

Big Band/Swing

Opera and Classical with J S Bach, Wagner and Handel my favorites.

Okay why the wide and psychotic range?

I was trained from sixth grade in classical choir, I went through High School in the 70's and developed a hatred for disco, so when the early punk acts were played on Dr Demento I knew that there was still talent out there, not mass produced swill for the masses. As for big band and swing, unless you have seen Count Bassie or Les Brown live you could not begin to understand.

Metal and rock, of course!

:good:

• Like 1

The Doors: The End is one of my favorite 60's songs...using it in Vietnam Air War movie when the next SF2 patch comes out. :drinks:

I also like Opera, but only some...I think Mozart wrote some of the most perfect music ever composed though. Hands down to him! :grin:

I love electronic music (Progressive House, Latin House, NU-Disco, Trance), 80´s Pop´n Wave,

Soul and German Rock. :cool:

2 Of my Favorite Songs....

Edited by Soulfreak

I love the old classics like Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Black Sabbath...but I'm also into Blues and some Punk stuff.

Classical?...a little....but I really can't cope with Thrash Metal.

Love Songs just make me wanna reach for the Puke Bucket I'm afraid

• Like 1

Me its an electic mix...

Tchaikovsky to AC-DC... Floyd is excellent quite a lot of music from the 90's provided its not from a pop factory... okay I hate pop... just annoys the crap outta me...

Just don't give me any of that new pop crap or the Rap and what they call RnB...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8iKgIOwV2c

Perfect music for riding a bike to...

Edited by Slartibartfast

And here's a bit of Floyd perfect for a Flightsim site...

Early loves were Lou Reed/Velvets (first gig was LR in the '89 I think).

Punk/new wave.

Bowie.

'70s heavy rock: Purple, Sabbath (not hard rock/HM).

Reggae especially '70s dub, DJ and roots.

Gimmie indie rock! I still like Teenage Fanclub, Dinosaur Jr, Primal Scream. Last gig was PS playing the Screamadelica album a couple of months ago. Catch them at festivals this summer.

I'll reply it in the inverse sense, by saying that the only type of music that I DON'T like is folclore and popular music - by which I don't mean pop music but songs the folk like when they have folk parties... those are the only genres which I just consider airwave pollution. Other than that I listen to everything from Classic to Metal and Trance, Jazz, Big-Band, Blues, Swing, Rap, Rock, and whatever else you care to add. But if I had to choose a genre which I really enjoy, strangely, it's Original Sound tracks from movies.The works of Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Zimmer, Elfman, Poledouris, but also newer guys like Brian Tyler and Trevor Rabin, to name but a few, have a special place in my heart, which is probably the reason why more than 75% of my record collection is composed of OSTs...

I'm with Muesli, Metal and Rock till the END :cool:

I like a bit of everything really. Being the youngest of six (three brothers and two sisters) there was always a wide variety of vinyl to listen to as a kid, which has followed through to this day. The only stuff I'd have to be forced to listen to is Irish taditional and/or country music. My sister in law ALWAYS either sings or puts on Patsy Cline at family dos. That's when suicidal thoughts for everyone in the house start to skyrocket. :suicide:

At the moment I'm in full retro mode. Sixties classics mixed with a little Pink Floyd and others

Edited by Piecemeal

Not really fussed these days - If I think it sounds good I normally listen to it.

when i used to give a toss it was anything with a guitar preferably that heavy fast blues rock sound that I got into via the Stone Roses, which then went into Led Zep, Guns & Roses etc

Today Iam listening to a Ministry of Sound 2011 Annual :yes:

some blues,miles davis, 80's metal(dio, judas priest, metallica upto the black album), the original wave of grunge, various current songs as they catch my attn, rap(not gnagsta FU crap but sugarhill gang, wil smith/fresh prince, etc), and most anything played on a classic rock station these days(tho it can be depressing to see what considered classic now).and im slowly building the completedigital works of Queen(Freddie Mercury only). to answer as others have why the variety ya get a range of exposure during 12 month stints in the desert.

i will say: Metal and Rock! no one can change this. rockon.gifiagree.gif

I'll reply it in the inverse sense, by saying that the only type of music that I DON'T like is folclore and popular music - by which I don't mean pop music but songs the folk like when they have folk parties... those are the only genres which I just consider airwave pollution. Other than that I listen to everything from Classic to Metal and Trance, Jazz, Big-Band, Blues, Swing, Rap, Rock, and whatever else you care to add. But if I had to choose a genre which I really enjoy, strangely, it's Original Sound tracks from movies.The works of Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Zimmer, Elfman, Poledouris, but also newer guys like Brian Tyler and Trevor Rabin, to name but a few, have a special place in my heart, which is probably the reason why more than 75% of my record collection is composed of OSTs...

I have to agree with Bill on this one too. Half the music I listen to is OSTs. Das Boot, and Hunt for Red October have great OSTs, as do Everything Is Illuminated. I guess the music I don't like are this modern pop/rap stuff like Justin Bieber, and basically everything that is over-played on the radio (which is again, all the modern pop, and rap). Don't even get me started on Rebecca Black! :blowup:

I'm a hair metal, Brian Setzer, Symphonic Metal & Visual Kei kind of guy :) with classical taste on the side. Guess why I like Symphonic Metal & Visual Kei (it's from Japan, think of it continuing the tradition of shogun era acting where males dress like women; and most of the performers are NOT gay. Sorry it peeves me everytime I show people it they immediately ask if they're gay).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ZEQxWZ798

My favorite guitarist from Versailles Philharmonic Quintet, Hizaki (red dress)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VClMVrgz7Io

Lin - Metamorphose (English subbed) - The lead singer Riku is only performer I know is Bi.

Falcon

Rock, some metal, OSTs, some classical, some blues and jazz. But mostly rock.

You know some video games have pretty good OSTs.

Jazz and classic because I can listen to it on public radio. No stupid commercials.

This sounds lame but basically I like it if it's got a beat and you can dance to it.

I prefer percussion based music as opposed to ballads, for instance.

So I tend to cross a lot of genres. I really like Blue Man Group. I listen to Hearts of Space just about every week. Now that's some eclectic stuff.

Do not really like folk music. A bit on the pretentious side if you ask me.

And, of course......

Edited by DoctorQuest

All of them.

TX::

But if I had to choose a genre which I really enjoy, strangely, it's Original Sound tracks from movies.

Mee Too. My fave by far is Marty Simon's work for LEXX sci~fi show, season 1 the movies, and later the series seasons 2 - 4. Very different, often very eerie, or sometimes fun, or comedic at times.