Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

A couple F-117s still flying?

Usually I'd just say BS and leave it at that, but judging by the rest of the videos this guy has on his account and the images on flickr, I'd say it's a legit video. I thought all the F-117As were in the hangars at Tonopah, partly dissembled.

Usually I'd just say BS and leave it at that, but judging by the rest of the videos this guy has on his account and the images on flickr, I'd say it's a legit video. I thought all the F-117As were in the hangars at Tonopah, partly dissembled.

Videos and photos usually don't lie. Looks pretty legit to me.

What - and wiki says they are all retired :grin:

Guess they could have a requirement for using them for testing still - might be the only available stealth bird at the moment.

The best way to make them more stealthy, make everyone think they're retired.

The best way to make them more stealthy, make everyone think they're retired.

First they lie about their existence, then they lie they have been retired hmmmm :lol:

any chance there are newer models that operate or being tested?

Or they could be testing Anti-Stealth Technologies with them... or new materials etc... just in case.

There's a good chance they are being used as a low observable target to test against. In the fleet's current state, it wouldn't take much to return some to airworthiness.

Edited by Jimbib

Quick, somebody steal one! They'll never notice! Then we can keep at least one of these rare birds flying!

Just because they're not used in combat anymore doesn't mean they don't make good FSTs to use against SAM radars, AA radars, missile seekers, etc. We don't have really any stealthy drones available for that, nor a spare F-22, B-2, or F-35 lying around.

All you need is to keep the thing flying and stealthy (no need for other mission equipment to work) and you've got a great tool. Since the plane was a hybrid of existing plane parts, like Hornet engines minus AB's, I can't imagine it's that pricey to fly other than maintaining the stealth coating (the 117's Achilles heel).