Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Um Haaresbreite - A Close Shave

Reason No. 1 for me to lose a pilot is collision.

I just had a sortie with my 1918 Jasta 37 pilot, who is not one of my "serious" flyers.

Still though, I try not to do any careless or too extreme flying.

Now, when I was chasing a Camel, I could have found my end despite all care though.

RL ace Ernst Hamster decided to chase the same craft, and as the Camel was hampered already,

he performed barrel rolls to reduce his forward speed.

That way, he must have seen me in the last second. We had almost collided.

A real close shave that was.

Edited by Olham

My first ever pilot loss was in my second FE2b campaign flight when one of my wingmen collided with me while we were returning from the front after a very harrowing Jasta 2 encounter where we were jumped and followed for a half hour. Our flight could have lost a couple of aircraft in that sortie, but instead we did it to our selves. I now set my formation spacing to more open in Workshops, the AI in some of the planes just doesn't try to avoid each other when in tighter groups.

My Jasta 35 pilot had a bad collision a few flights back and I never saw it coming. I'm not even sure who hit me but based on the fact I got a claim for a kill it must have been the enemy aircraft. Although this would be a very tough way to lose a pilot, I find it a very realistic hazard and if it happens, so be it. Look at Oswald Boelcke and Erwin Bohme, two men who will forever be linked together because of a slight collision that cost Boelcke his life. Nice skin by the way Olham!

... Oswald Boelcke and Erwin Bohme, two men who will forever be linked together

because of a slight collision that cost Boelcke his life. Nice skin by the way Olham!

Thank you, Shiloh - I liked the very sinister appearance of late Jasta 37, made me a black Albatros,

added the "9" (many of them had such numbers at the front), and the German colours from anther

skin by Paarma, and ready was the dark craft.

Did you know, that Böhme wanted to shoot himself after landing that day?

It was Manfred von Richthofen, who held him back. Boelcke was their great mentor - without Boelcke

Jasta 11 would perhaps not have been what it was. They all learned so much from him.; his death

was a great loss for the German fighters.

To add more to historical reference, the real "white nine" of Jasta 37 had a swastika emblem to her sides...

post-10763-0-43284600-1308513224.jpg

:drinks:

I didn't want to copy an existing plane, elephant.

I just hadn't seen any pics of "Number 9" and thought it wasn't photographed.

So I used it for myself.

Do you know, which number wasn't used and is therefor free for me?

I know, I didn't want to blame you for historical inaccuracy! :grin:

I have this one too:

post-10763-0-12997400-1308554276.jpg

May be "white 13" was saved for you Olham...

In Wingnut Wings site there is a great photo collection of Jasta 37 "Black Beauties":

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/1D0460BEA0BBA3CBAE14B03DF6A6BFBE

:salute:

PS: The rudders seems to be also painted black, (except white 5, that had a white tail).

Edited by elephant

Good pics there at "Wingnut Wings" - I should have gone there first.

"Black 13" would be tempting, but I like the "9", cause it looks almost like the Albatros had eyes.

As there seems to be no "9" in OFF, I will keep it - just looks good.

And the rudder - well, there were so many exceptions in most Jastas, that I will make this one.

The Lozenge just looks great behind the black, IMHO.

Go on! :clapping:

Another detail that you have depicted right is the light blue ribbons on the lozenge as these were OAW built machines... :ok:

(well you should remove the ribbons from the control surfaces, but I guess the template has not been fully updated yet!)

Yes, this is a skin I made some weeks ago, before the corrections.

The template is as good as ready now - maybe I upload it today.

Thank you, Shiloh - I liked the very sinister appearance of late Jasta 37, made me a black Albatros,

added the "9" (many of them had such numbers at the front), and the German colours from anther

skin by Paarma, and ready was the dark craft.

Did you know, that Böhme wanted to shoot himself after landing that day?

It was Manfred von Richthofen, who held him back. Boelcke was their great mentor - without Boelcke

Jasta 11 would perhaps not have been what it was. They all learned so much from him.; his death

was a great loss for the German fighters.

I was inspired by the black on your Albatros Olham and when my Jasta 37 pilot upgraded to the Alb III early, I picked him out a nice all-black skin with just a touch of white on the nose and the standard white/black cross. It looks mean! :threat:

shot061911224632.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

Yo - now a skull and crossed bones... :grin:

Looks more like Jasta 12 with that older style cross on the vertical stabiliser...