thereg

Individual speech packs for different nations

At the moment, using some of the speech packs available in the SF1 downloads and some NATIONS.INI edits, I've managed to set myself up so that I hear Russian when flying for the Soviets, German for the Luftwaffe, and WW2 British accents for the RAF, Australia and New Zealand, with stock US for everyone else. All without having to swap files manually when switching between the countries.

Given that it is so easy now to individualise the languages (aside from the task of actually recording each file, which would be a huge mission) I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who might be working on speech packs for at least the major combatants in the SF2 modded titles to improve immersion with the radio comms?

Unfortunately I don't really have the time to devote to such a project myself, but with all the huge and fantastic work done by the modders here, and with such an international community, I wonder if such a thing could be in the wind?

• Like 2

this is what we need. How'd you nanage to do it?

this is what we need. How'd you nanage to do it?

I extracted the NATIONS.INI from the MissionData001.cat

Then, using the Soviets as an example:

[Nation005]

Name=Soviet

DisplayName=Soviet Air Force

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotNameList=NamesRussian.lst

RankList=RanksRussian.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=SovietFighter

Formation.Attack=SovietFighter

Formation.Bomber=SovietBomber

Formation.Transport=SovietBomber

Formation.Tank=SovietTank

Formation.MobileAD=SovietAD

PilotTrainingStandard=NORMAL

GenderRatio=0

DebriefSuccessMusic=DebriefSuccess.wav

DebriefFailMusic=DebriefFail.wav

DebriefKilledMusic=DebriefKilled.wav

SpeechFile=Gramps Russian Speeck Pack <<<--------------------- I entered this to tell the game where to look

SpeechTextFile=USAFSpeechText.str

Then I downloaded the Russian speech pack by Gramps located here http://combatace.com...an-speech-pack/

I added a Speech folder to my mods folder for SF2E (I'm using a full four merged install with lots of mods for each game). Then extracted Gramps' pack into its own sub folder with the same name as is shown in the Nations.ini.

Now, whenever flying for the Soviets I hear Russian, but not when flying for any other country.

And put the Nations.ini into the Flight folder of my mods

Edited by thereg
  • Like 2

Thx, mate. will give it a try! desperately need formy WW2 installs

most interesting...

HOT GODDAIMNNNN!

Wow, that sounds great!

Would be cool to have a propper mod of this.... :drinks:

I extracted the NATIONS.INI from the MissionData001.cat

Then, using the Soviets as an example:

[Nation005]

Name=Soviet

DisplayName=Soviet Air Force

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotNameList=NamesRussian.lst

RankList=RanksRussian.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=SovietFighter

Formation.Attack=SovietFighter

Formation.Bomber=SovietBomber

Formation.Transport=SovietBomber

Formation.Tank=SovietTank

Formation.MobileAD=SovietAD

PilotTrainingStandard=NORMAL

GenderRatio=0

DebriefSuccessMusic=DebriefSuccess.wav

DebriefFailMusic=DebriefFail.wav

DebriefKilledMusic=DebriefKilled.wav

SpeechFile=Gramps Russian Speeck Pack <<<--------------------- I entered this to tell the game where to look

SpeechTextFile=USAFSpeechText.str

Then I downloaded the Russian speech pack by Gramps located here http://combatace.com...an-speech-pack/

I added a Speech folder to my mods folder for SF2E (I'm using a full four merged install with lots of mods for each game). Then extracted Gramps' pack into its own sub folder with the same name as is shown in the Nations.ini.

Now, whenever flying for the Soviets I hear Russian, but not when flying for any other country.

And put the Nations.ini into the Flight folder of my mods

This is _very_ interesting. Where exactly do you put the alternative speech folders, is it for example: ../mods/speech/Gramps Russian Speeck Pack?

Would this work with SF1? I've been trying to reference alternative speech packs within the speech folder, like this: ../speech/speechUK but I can't seem to get it to work.

Mike

Interesting...nice that TK finally activated that feature (yep, I'm late to the party).

FC

woooooooow! will be so good to fly with the "red side" and hear their language!

This is _very_ interesting. Where exactly do you put the alternative speech folders, is it for example: ../mods/speech/Gramps Russian Speeck Pack?

Would this work with SF1? I've been trying to reference alternative speech packs within the speech folder, like this: ../speech/speechUK but I can't seem to get it to work.

Mike

Yep, that's the way I did it exactly... /mods/speech/Gramps Russian Speeck Pack

No idea if it would work in SF1, sorry.

• Like 1

Yep, that's the way I did it exactly... /mods/speech/Gramps Russian Speeck Pack

No idea if it would work in SF1, sorry.

OK Reg,

Thanks for that, let me ask a different angle. Where is the USAFSpeech.cat file normally found? I ask because I can't find it in SF1, all I can see is the regular ../Speech folder, full of American-accented wingman calls.

Mike

OK Reg,

Thanks for that, let me ask a different angle. Where is the USAFSpeech.cat file normally found? I ask because I can't find it in SF1, all I can see is the regular ../Speech folder, full of American-accented wingman calls.

Mike

For SF2 there is a Speech.cat file inside the Thirdwire/Strike Fighters 2/Speech folder. This contains all of the American accented calls. Any nations that aren't redirected to a new speech pack in the mods folder via the method above simply default back to this.

• Like 2

Oh well. That's quite different from SF1, so I guess it means the national speech mod won't work there. Bother.

Mike

Wow, thanks! Now all I need to do is find voice actors for TSF :D

Some new international speech packs are in need - a quite extensive list by the way:

- Japanese

- Italian

- Germany

- Chinese

- Swedish

- Finnish

- Arab

- Hebrew

- Spanish

There some of these in other SIMMS and would be nice if someone imported those voices to SFP. A major breakthrough indeed!!

• Like 1

Tried it out. This is very promising. I wonder if it means some official voice packs might be in the works?

Well!

Peeped this thread a few times, went to Google and did a little testing...

...they have a voice pronunciation function on their translator.

Put in the transmissions we know so well, and translate it to Japanese.

...And the Japanese voice is female. :blink:

So, in the least, TACC in Japanese could be done up quite nicely... :ok:

SidDogg

• Like 1

So if I'm flying for the USAF and I've got the USAF speech pack installed, and an RAF flight checks on with TACC (with the RAF speech pack installed), will I hear them check on with the British speech files?

So if I'm flying for the USAF and I've got the USAF speech pack installed, and an RAF flight checks on with TACC (with the RAF speech pack installed), will I hear them check on with the British speech files?

In theory, yes.

- Swedish

TSF is working on it. Any voice actors with Danish, Norwegian and Finnish skills would also be welcome.

Unfortunately they will just be using the speech pack of the nation you are flying.

Unfortunately they will just be using the speech pack of the nation you are flying.

Hm, that's unfortunate. I'd never even thought of the possibility regarding allied flights.