Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Player FOV

Not played with Player FOV..... As I don't know what it is.

Does it relate to horizon Draw distance?

The FOV is the Field of View, and I presumed that it depends on your computer monitor's aspect ratio. I might be incorrect, but I thought it was how far you could see around you, not away from you, like 180 degrees, for example. But this is just what I think it is, so I would wait for someone to confirm or reject this. There's a Wikipedia page on it here: Click me!

The Field of View is the players setting of how much his view shall be zoomed in or out.

Higher numbers mean a wider and higher Field of View = more zoomed out -

you get more of the total, but therefor also more remote.

Lower number mean a more zoomed in view - everything is closer to you,

but therefor you also see less of the total.

You can easily understand the Field of view by starting a QC flight, and zooming in and out.

You will notice, that also your own cockpit will get bigger or smaller.

Bigger, closer cockpit = more zoomed in = smaller numbers in FoV.

Small, remote cockpit = more zoomed out = higher numbers in FoV.

Of course, the numbers of width and height need to be in the correct relationship to your screen resolution.

To get that right, see my sticky thread about FOV.

I also offer you, to calculate three possible settings for your monitor, if you write your resolution here.

Edited by Olham

Thanks for the info chaps...Olham, thats most kind Sir... I am running @ 1280X1024

Alright then, first you make sure, that in "Workshop" on the left side, the screen ratio is on 4:3.

If it was not already, select that. Maybe you have to restart the sim to activate the change.

Try these three possible FOV settings; they are all in the right ratio (width : height) of your screen res.

You should find one that suits you most.

19 : 15 (will be more zoomed in - cockpit large and close to you)

20 : 16 (medium)

21 : 17 (will be more zoomed out - cockpit smaller, more remote)

There is no "righter or wronger" one - they just are more or less zoomed in, and you decide which feels right.

It can even be, that you feel so crammed in a Nieuport cockpit, that you zoom out one notch, while in an

Albatros, you want to zoom in one notch.

That is all still possible ingame (see "Conrols"). But one of the above should be suitable for the basic view.

Edited by Olham

Thank you Herr Olham...I shall try that out tonight...youre a star! :salute:

(The Bordeauxred Baron blushes so deeply, that he makes his name all honour)

"Vell, ahem - ssank you, Sir. Vee Hunz are not used to complimentz really..."

I downloaded Olhams detailed explanation and examples of field of view settings and played around with them some. I personally like the zoomed out look and set it into workshops. My monitor is 22" and set to 1680 x 1050 and I set my field of view to 27 over 17. It is zoomed out probably more than most people would like, however I find my ability to follow an aircraft is better and my collisions are down as well. Hasn't hurt shooting percentages at all in the tripe and camel it averages 40 - 42% per mission.

Ah, TSmoke, you are finally one person (maybe the only one) who understood my FOV essay.

Your FOV is quite "zoomed out" indeed, but that's the great about it - everyone can sttle for his own.

Personally, I have the same 1680 x 1050 resolution, and I use a Field of View of 24 x 15,

with occasional zooming in one notch in combat.

When I want to recognise some distant planes, I zoom in a lot, like using glasses.

20 : 16 is puuuurfect!...thanks m8

All the best in the air, Widowmaker!

Your essay as you call it was simple and easy to understand, and all here can attest that I am pretty damned dumb when it comes to anything computer LOL.

I like that "zoomed out" setting because much closer makes me feel claustrophobic if that makes sense. The only issue I found with it is going through clouds you have to zoom in one step to get rid of that god awful white rectangle. Sure wish the developer gurus could fix that, unless the FOV setting isn't to be messed with? But overall its a minor PITA. I tried the Camel and it makes me feel claustrophobic at these settings or it maybe because that top wing is so bloody wide? I found the view up or down on the Camel pretty much sucks, also it was supposed to be a twitchy plane to fly, in the game it is as docile as the Pup???

Crap lost my train of thought here, oh well seems the trains have become shorter the past while LOL.

Lothar, please see my answer in the other thread and see, that my calculations are not uncorrect.

Please stop repeating this.