Sign in to follow this  
Charlie 14

FE2 Graphic (Terrain) Anomoly

Hi guys, recent convert to the prop side of things from the Wo* series and I have a question regarding what appears to be terrain tiles that are rendered as white or maybe gray on the periphery of the screen while in cockpit view. It happens in both unmodded FE2 and with modded tiles and environmental stuff. I seem to recall seeing something like this before in Nato Fighters 4 and I could swear I found a way to correct it but I can't remember what I did or whether it was environmental or terrain related or what. I searched and tried a few tweaks under the "[solidObjectTextureMaterial]" setting in the terrains like "BLEND_SRC_ALPHA" to no avail...I'm using a NVIDEA based card and XP if that matters.

Anybody have any notion of what I'm running into here or what might work? It's almost like tiles are missing at the edge of the screen in wide view but they aren't if you change your view...

Its been driver related in the past - have you got any screenshots?

Well, no I don't...Never done a screen shot in any of TK's sims, 1 or 2...Driver related, hmmmm, I could see that. I wonder if the card settings are presenting a conflict of some sort...

Hmmmm...Well? Uploaded new drivers and deleted the old (EVGA 7800GS), tried a variety of settings in nTune from the lowest, or application driven, to a whole range of tweaks up the quality scale...No luck, the problem is still there. Tried a variety of in-game settings (including the sunlight glint on/off/exterior only separate from the other quality settings) from lowest settings on up, no luck there either. Tried removing environmental mods, no change, tweaking Particle System configurations, again no luck...

It's odd in that the very few times I've seen this turn up it has only been in two Third Wire sims out of the half dozen I must have on the hard drive, one is the NF4 mod of WoE (1st gen edition) and the other is FE2. It always occurs in cockpit, usually when the field of view is drawn out wide view looking forward, two white triangles will appear from the left and right side of the display where there should be terrain tiles, zooming in view will eliminate it, turning the view towards the the missing terrain will eliminate it. It is most noticeable at very low altitude.

Oh, I also did a number of searches and just tried anything that looked remotely similar like this: http://combatace.com/topic/62513-a-huge-problem/page__p__474069__hl__weird__fromsearch__1#entry474069

I may go back with the new drivers and try to change .ini parameters again, Do the dance with the, "UseAdvancedShaders=1 ForceDX9=FALSE," and see where that gets me...

OK, I got lucky and did about the most counter-intuitive thing, and it worked...I took the graphics card and just set everything to application controlled in nTune, set the in-game options to, "High," and the terrain anomalies were gone...It must be a shader thing of some sort and a conflict with the graphic card trying to control some in-game deal...The only thing I tweaked with after that was just to turn "Shadow" down to low and everything was still good...It's kind of interesting that that turning all the options down didn't cure the problem but almost maxing them out (and I assume overriding graphic card settings maybe?) did...When I saw that I went to nTune and just let the game drive the card and it worked out.

Just in case anybody has a similar problem in the future I tripped a scross a few pics showing what it looked like in another TK sim...Terrain tearing:

post-34446-1209052606.jpg

post-34446-1209052551.jpg