Hi all

I rediscovered WoE just now and it has been a while since I flew it. This sim itself works fine and I applied all patches up to Oct2008. However I have great difficulty installing 3rd party addons and weapons etc, s.a. the great Mirage Factory F-14A & B. For example, the F-14B shows, but the F-14A does not, no 'hangar' screen picture and no loading weapons graphic (the aircraft with the different loading stations) show. The new weapons do not show either (s.a. the Phoenix) so I am doing something wrong.

I used to be able to work with weapons editor and extract utility but nothing seems to work and I cannot remember how to do it. To make a long story short, where can I find good tutorials how to do this all. I have searched this site but found only part information.

Btw I am running Windows 7, the sim itself runs fine on it.

Many thanks

Jos :cool:

(LeadZeppelin)

Many will tell you to upgarade to SF2; quite rightly so.Then there are some others like me

To make the F-14A work in series one a lot of edits are required-like converting the ini files from unicodde to ANSI. With regard to no Hangar screens, you'll have to change the JPEG images that have provided to BMP's, and the corresponding references in the F-14A. ini

e.g

[AircraftData]

AircraftFullName=F-14A Tomcat

AircraftDataFile=F-14A_data.ini

CockpitDataFile=F-14A_cockpit.ini

HangarScreen=F-14A_hangar.bmp...this reference must be exactly how the file is named!!!

LoadingScreen=F-14A_loading.bmp

LoadoutImage=F-14A_loadout.bmp...ditto

LoadoutFile=F-14A_loadout.ini

AvionicsDLL=Avionics70.dll

AvionicsDataFilename=F-14A_avionics.ini

As to the phoenixes, well thats a little more intricate as it would involve using the correct weapons pack. The ODS campaign is the best to fly with the Oct'08 patch. Compare the weapons section of the old Tomcat(particularly the Phoenix stations) with that of the newer Tomcats-I'm sure you'll find what is amiss, or for that matter any additions that are foxing your desired loadouts.

And yeah the Knowledge base is a good place to start.

Goodluck.

Moved to a more appropriate Forum, where it can be seen easier

PLEASE do not post questions in the Knowledge Base! Its for answers only.

thank you! :grin:

For the Weapons Editor go to the Third Wire site and get the latest version, the 08 patch changed some things around. I'm like you I just started playing this again after a long absence. Check the KB on how to make the WE work, you have to right click the WE itself and then properties,click the tab marked compatibility and then tick the box that say run is Win95. That should get your WE running, same with the Gun Editor.

Many will tell you to upgarade to SF2; quite rightly so.Then there are some others like me

To make the F-14A work in series one a lot of edits are required-like converting the ini files from unicodde to ANSI. With regard to no Hangar screens, you'll have to change the JPEG images that have provided to BMP's, and the corresponding references in the F-14A. ini

Thanks for the response Stick. I now realize that there is a compatibility problem between the SFP1 and SFP2 line of sims. The F-14 I installed is for SFP2. Funny thing is that the F-14B is visible in the list and flyable, whereas the F-14A is not, although coming from the same installed files. I also converted the hangar screen jpeg to .bmp and changed the .ini accordingly but it makes no difference; the hangar screen does not show. In the meantime I enjoy flying the standard aircraft, in particular the F-15A and the different Phantoms.

For the Weapons Editor go to the Third Wire site and get the latest version, the 08 patch changed some things around. I'm like you I just started playing this again after a long absence. Check the KB on how to make the WE work, you have to right click the WE itself and then properties,click the tab marked compatibility and then tick the box that say run is Win95. That should get your WE running, same with the Gun Editor.

Thanks for your response too, firehawk. I think I got the WE working (V.02.20.08), even without changing the compatibility mode (!?) with the help, and better reading/understanding of, the knowledge base but not sure yet how to actually use it though. What version of the Gun Editor should I use? The 3rd wire website shows V 11.05.05 as the 'latest' version for SFP1 sims. Is this the right one?

Thanks again both

Jos :cool:

Why do add-on aircraft not show in the sim after apparent succesful installation?? (Sim WoE, see above)

I decided to uninstall the sim and start from a fresh (V08.30.06) installation. I had attempted to add the F-14A (SFP1 version) and the F-4G Weasel pack. from Mirage Factory, in the updated (Oct 2008) version without succes.

Then I re-installed both in the fresh sim. The F-4Gs are now listed and can be flown, however the F-14A refuses to show in the list for Single Missions. I am still in V08.30.06!. Hereafter I updated to Sept 2008, F-4G remains listed and flyable, the F-14A still not. In the meantime I updated to Oct 2008; no change, F-4G is OK, F-14A not available.

Being executable files there is nothing I could have done wrong, so the installations should be OK, and both aircraft files show under Objects>> Aircraft.

This all makes no sense to me. There should be no reason for the Tomcat not to be listed. Only difference between the 2 add-on aircraft is the fact that the F-14 is a all new type, not standard, and the F-4G is another version of a type that comes with the sim.

Again help would be appreciated, what is going wrong here!!

Thanks

Jos

Edited by LeadZeppelin

Why do add-on aircraft not show in the sim after apparent succesful installation?? (Sim WoE, see above)

If a plane is not showing up in game it can have different reasons.

1. It is installed in the wrong folder.

Make sure, that the F-14 (for instance) is installed in the objects/aircraft folder.

2. sometimes in automatic installations it can happen, that an additional (and unneccessary) subfolder is created.

Take a look at the aircraft folder, look for F-14 folder, open it. If there is a single subfolder in it you has found the reason.

3. Designation of F-14 folder and F-14.ini must be exactly the same.

It it is F14.ini or so, the game will not accept the plane.

4. There is no cockpit.

open file F-14.ini and look wheter there is a line

You must have a cockpit folder in F-14 folder. If not the game does not accept the plane.

etc. pp.

If a plane is not showing up in game it can have different reasons.

1. It is installed in the wrong folder.

Make sure, that the F-14 (for instance) is installed in the objects/aircraft folder.

2. sometimes in automatic installations it can happen, that an additional (and unneccessary) subfolder is created.

Take a look at the aircraft folder, look for F-14 folder, open it. If there is a single subfolder in it you has found the reason.

3. Designation of F-14 folder and F-14.ini must be exactly the same.

It it is F14.ini or so, the game will not accept the plane.

4. There is no cockpit.

open file F-14.ini and look wheter there is a line

You must have a cockpit folder in F-14 folder. If not the game does not accept the plane.

etc. pp.

Hi Gepard

I verified the installation and:

1. A folder called F-14A is installed in objects>>aircraft, so in the correct place

2. There is no separate subfolder; inside the F-14A folder is a cockpit folder, a VF1 folder (skins) and a bunch of loose documents, s.a. F-14A.ini, F-14A_COCKPIT.ini, F-14A_AVIONICS.ini, F-14A_DATA-ini etc, much the same set up as the other aircraft folders.

3. Designations are exactly the same, as far as I can see

4. There is a cockpit folder and the F-14A.ini shows 'CockpitDataFile=F-14A_cockpit.ini' as you indicated

So all looks correct and this surely is the SFP1/WoV/WoE version of the F-14A.

All very strange indeed.

Thanks

Jos

Might be something here too http://combatace.com...thirdwire-sims/

Dont think I have ever resorted to reinstalling the game - if a Mod inst happening there is something you haven't done.

Hi MigBuster

I agree but I don't know what I missed. The thread you pointed at is all about making SFP2 addons working in SFP1 sims, I guess. This addon a/c is the SFP1/WoV/WoE version of the F-14A though, so I think this will not resolve this problem.

Thanks

Jos

ansi vs unicode, maybe? Some gen2s MAY be in unicode, and therefore invisible to gen1 game engines

just a thought

Its really a strange thing. I had tried it to install the F-14A from MF in WOE, WOV and it worked very well. Same with the Iranian F-14. No problems with it.

Maybe, that it is a Windows7 caused problem. I use XP and there are no problems with the Tomcat.

Try to install Typhoids F-14A+ from download section. It has an other installation routine. Perhaps you can get it to run.

Edited by Gepard

Its really a strange thing. I had tried it to install the F-14A from MF in WOE, WOV and it worked very well. Same with the Iranian F-14. No problems with it.

Maybe, that it is a Windows7 caused problem. I use XP and there are no problems with the Tomcat.

Try to install Typhoids F-14A+ from download section. It has an other installation routine. Perhaps you can get it to run.

I installed the Typhoid's F-14A and this one works fine.

Two things though that you may be able to answer. I have no afterburner 'flames'. The DATA.INI shows 'AfterburnerEmitterName=F16XLAfterburner' . How can I get this to work?

The weaponsload options seem to be somewhat restricted and do not include the AIM-54 Phoenix. I have the Mirage Factory weapons pack installed that includes several AIM-54 types. Do I need another pack, or do I need to do something else?

Many questions I know, I appreciate your reponses!

Two things though that you may be able to answer. I have no afterburner 'flames'. The DATA.INI shows 'AfterburnerEmitterName=F16XLAfterburner' . How can I get this to work?

I have no F16XLAfterburner too, thatswhy i had replaced the entry with

AfterburnerEmitterName=F15AfterburnerEmitter

This is the stock F-15A Afterburner and it worked very well.

Hi guys

The afterburner works fine now. Changed the entry AfterburnerEmitterName=F15AfterburnerEmitter as you said Gepard :grin:

However still no joy with the AIM-54, Phoenix, MigBuster. Checked the guide you mentioned and looked for old threads but unable to find a decent solution. I have no clue; everything appears to be OK in the DATA.INI etc. What type of weapon class would the AIM-54 be, SAHM, AHM ??

Is there a listing of allowed weapon classes somewhere?

Thanks

After installing the Phoenix do you has opend file weapondata.ini with Weaponseditor? Dou you has clicked on button "save" before closing Weaponseditor? If not do it.

To your question:

Phoenix is set AHM

look for and check this lines in the F-14A_Data.ini

[PhoenixStation1]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=5

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-0.45,0.9,-0.6

AttachmentAngles=0.0,2.0,0.0

EjectVelocity=0.0,-2.0,0.0

LoadLimit=2280

AllowedWeaponClass=AHM <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< THIS

AttachmentType=USN,USAF,NATO

ModelNodeName=suppphoenix01

PylonMass=55

PylonDragArea=0.02

if this is okay, then check following lines in your weaponsdata.ini

[WeaponData036] <<<<< Make sure that you use your correct sequence number

TypeName=AIM-54A

FullName=AIM-54A Phoenix

ModelName=aim_54a

Mass=453.000000

Diameter=0.381000

Length=4.010000

SubsonicDragCoeff=0.120000

SupersonicDragCoeff=0.222000

AttachmentType=USN

SpecificStationCode=

NationName=USN

StartYear=1974

EndYear=1984

Availability=2

BaseQuantity=4

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=1977

ExportEndYear=1984

ExportAvailability=0

WeaponDataType=1

RailLaunched=FALSE

RocketPod=FALSE

Retarded=FALSE

FinStabilized=TRUE

SpinStabilized=FALSE

HasGrowl=FALSE

EffectClassName=LargeMissileEffects

ReleaseDelay=1.000000

WarheadType=0

Explosives=60.000000

FusingDistance=3.000000

ClusterBomblets=0

ClusterDispersion=0.000000

GuidanceType=13

Accuracy=80

MaxTurnRate=15.000000

MaxLaunchG=3.000000

LockonChance=75

LaunchReliability=80

ArmingTime=2.000000

SeekerFOV=6.000000

SeekerGimbleLimit=40.000000

SeekerTrackRate=16.000000

SeekerRange=130000.000000

MinLaunchRange=3700.000000

MaxLaunchRange=130000.000000

Duration=300.000000

CounterCountermeasure=25.000000

NoiseRejection=40.000000

CapabilityFlags=0x1000000b

LoftAngle=0.000000

DescentAngle=0.000000

MaxLoftAltitude=0.000000

CLmax=14.000000

MinFreq=0.000000

MaxFreq=0.000000

BoosterStart=0.500000

BoosterDuration=6.000000

BoosterAccel=16.250000

BoosterEffectName=MissileFireEffect

BoosterSoundName=Missile

BoosterNodeName=

BoosterPosition=0.000000,-1.835150,0.000000

SustainerDuration=240.000000

SustainerAccel=18.250000

SustainerEffectName=MissileFireEffect

SustainerSoundName=Missile

SustainerPosition=0.000000,-1.835150,0.000000

InFlightEffectName=MissileInFlightEffect

InFlightSoundName=

ReleaseAnimationID=-1

EODisplayFlags=0

CEP=0.000000

Hi Gepard

Thanks for the reply, however the mystery continues; the AIM-54 is still not available

I have found only 2 minor (I think) differences, 1 each in my F-14A+ _DATA.INI and my WEAPONDATA.INI

>> Please be reminded that I have the F-14A+, not the F-14A which does not appear at all in my list of a/c.

My F-14A+_DATA.INI:

[PhoenixStation1]

StationID=5

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-0.45,0.9,-0.6

AttachmentAngles=0.0,2.0,0.0

EjectVelocity=0.0,-2.0,0.0

LoadLimit=2280

AllowedWeaponClass=BOMB,AHM <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

AttachmentType=USN,USAF,NATO

ModelNodeName=suppphoenix01

PylonMass=55

PylonDragArea=0.02

As you can see the only difference is in the AllowedWeaponClass that shows BOMB in addition to AHM.

Would that make a difference?

and here is the AIM-54A part from my WEAPONDATA.INI

[WeaponData066]

TypeName=AIM-54A

FullName=AIM-54A Phoenix

ModelName=aim54a

Mass=453.000000

Diameter=0.381000

Length=4.010000

SubsonicDragCoeff=0.120000

SupersonicDragCoeff=0.222000

AttachmentType=USN

SpecificStationCode=F14 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

NationName=USN

StartYear=1974

EndYear=1984

Availability=2

BaseQuantity=4

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=1977

ExportEndYear=1984

ExportAvailability=0

WeaponDataType=1

RailLaunched=FALSE

RocketPod=FALSE

Retarded=FALSE

FinStabilized=TRUE

SpinStabilized=FALSE

HasGrowl=FALSE

EffectClassName=LargeMissileEffects

ReleaseDelay=1.000000

WarheadType=0

Explosives=60.000000

FusingDistance=3.000000

ClusterBomblets=0

ClusterDispersion=0.000000

GuidanceType=13

Accuracy=80

MaxTurnRate=15.000000

MaxLaunchG=3.000000

LockonChance=75

LaunchReliability=80

ArmingTime=2.000000

SeekerFOV=6.000000

SeekerGimbleLimit=40.000000

SeekerTrackRate=16.000000

SeekerRange=130000.000000

MinLaunchRange=3700.000000

MaxLaunchRange=130000.000000

Duration=300.000000

CounterCountermeasure=25.000000

NoiseRejection=40.000000

CapabilityFlags=0x1000000b

LoftAngle=0.000000

DescentAngle=0.000000

MaxLoftAltitude=0.000000

CLmax=14.000000

MinFreq=0.000000

MaxFreq=0.000000

BoosterStart=0.500000

BoosterDuration=6.000000

BoosterAccel=16.250000

BoosterEffectName=MissileFireEffect

BoosterSoundName=Missile

BoosterNodeName=

BoosterPosition=0.000000,-1.835150,0.000000

SustainerDuration=240.000000

SustainerAccel=18.250000

SustainerEffectName=MissileFireEffect

SustainerSoundName=Missile

SustainerPosition=0.000000,-1.835150,0.000000

InFlightEffectName=MissileInFlightEffect

InFlightSoundName=

ReleaseAnimationID=-1

EODisplayFlags=0

CEP=0.000000

The only difference I can find is the SpecificStationCode, which in my case says 'SpecificStationCode=F14', whereas in your list the entry is blank. I took the 'F14' out but it makes no difference. The Phoenix remains unavailable.

I hope you have some more ideas how to solve this.

Thanks again

Jos

Edited by LeadZeppelin

If the weapon has a SpecificStationCode then you would need to add that exact entry to the weapons station as well:

[PhoenixStation1]

StationID=5

StationGroupID=1

SpecificStationCode=F14

The only difference I can find is the SpecificStationCode, which in my case says 'SpecificStationCode=F14', whereas in your list the entry is blank. I took the 'F14' out but it makes no difference. The Phoenix remains unavailable.

Yes the specific weapon station code is the reason of the problem. If you delete the F14, you must do it via weapons editor. Only editing the weapondata.ini with notepad editor is not enough. You must do it with WE.

Or as second way, you add the line

SpecificStationCode=F14

to all Phoenix stations as MigBuster had descriped already.

Thanks Migbuster and Gepard, it finally worked. I used migbuster's option as I do not know exactly how to make the changes via the weapons editor.

That is I opened the info window for the AIM-54 (edit weapon) in WE and did not find a field called 'SpecificStationCode' only 'Stationcode', but adding 'F14' in this field did not do it (this field was blank in WE). I must be doing something wrong here and not what you meant with "...If you delete the F14, you must do it via weapons editor...", gepard. I guess I need to read a bit more about working with the WE. I knew how to do it a few years ago, but it has not come back to me yet.

Anyway gentlemen, thanks again. The Tomcat and me are back in business :cool: