Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

Just got HitR and...WOW!

Well, I was on the fence over getting HitR; liked the idea of an N28 (which I'd admired since building the excellent little Revel 1/72 kit back in the late 1960s) and the ability to rein in the AI a bit more. But I had a mind to put the cash instead towards a new graphics card; also figured I had managed to get a decent performance from BHaH on my marginal system and didn't want to break the proverbial Camel's Back. But I took the plunge this evening and boy, was it worthwhile!

Performance seems the same or better; but as for the rest, if BHaH brought World War 1 in the Air to life before your very eyes - and it does! - then HiTR takes it to the next level.

Whether it's the improved terrain textures, trees, woods/copses and towns, the better-than-ever plane textures with convincing linen textures , the fact the Allied Archie now bursts visibly white, or the Nieuport 28 itself which beautifully captures the elegant lines and distinctive camouflage and personal markings of the US Air Service pilots who flew it, I dunno.

But I have to tell you, that anyone out there who has BHaH but hasn't yet invested in HitR, well the latter's SimHQ review was right on the nail. HitR IS an essential add-on for any OFF player. A 'must have'. You're missing out on your OFF experience, good tho it is, if you don't grab HitR too. Sure the wingmen are still slow to follow your turns and the rivers and railways still have dog-legs, but that's small beer beside the rest of the package. Never mind waiting for P4, or because you think you don't need more Nieuports or a DH5; don't deny yourself the richer experience that HitR adds to OFF, now.

Edited by 33LIMA

It's kind of odd, you fly it for a while and you can't remember what it was like before HItR. Essentially it was just a patch, but what a patch. The game was great before but after HItR, it is so much better after, it added things that you didn't expect and improved many thing you didn't think needed it.

Beard

It's kind of odd, you fly it for a while and you can't remember what it was like before HItR.

Essentially it was just a patch, but what a patch.

Naw, Beard, here I disagree. A patch would just eliminate mistakes. "Hat in the Ring" came

with a much improved AI, several scenery improvements, and then not to forget, 2 totally

new aircraft - the Nieuport 28 and the DH-5.

So it is definitely far more than even a huge a patch - it is an "Add-on" worth the name surely.

You make me want to start my first American Career withe the 94th and the N28,

although I have a lot of work to do for the "other WWI" sim... :grin:

Olham, don't forget the Nupe 24 and 24bis that also came with HitR. And the Fokker E.V. Wasn't that one in HitR too?

Olham, don't forget the Nupe 24 and 24bis that also came with HitR. And the Fokker E.V.

Wasn't that one in HitR too?

Ooooooppss!!!

Absolutely right, Hasse Wind - even more elevating my argument: it IS an add-on.

LIMA, HitR is a fantastic patch! And as quite rightly noted by Burning Beard, we get so used to having it that we really do forget what BHaH was like before it. Nice to have someone like you who comes to it new and reminds us all. Enjoy!

My view is that HitR fixed a lot of stuff - particularly for those of us with low end systems - whilst adding a lot more options. I like the N28, can live with the DH5 but I don't think I've ever bothered with the EV (sorry Olham!). What I liked so much about it was the perceived oomph that my versions of the game got. Prior to HitR, I was between 10-20 FPS (ie, annoying). After HitR, it's a steady 20+ FPS, which makes the game eminently playable. I know that high end systems can run 60+ FPS, but that's utterly irrelevant to me (until I replace my current kit, which looks like 2-3 years down the road): OFF runs great - now.

My only fear with OFF P4 is that I'll buy it and find that I can't run it to my satisfaction on my existing rig.

My view is that HitR fixed a lot of stuff - particularly for those of us with low end systems - whilst adding a lot more options. I like the N28, can live with the DH5 but I don't think I've ever bothered with the EV (sorry Olham!). What I liked so much about it was the perceived oomph that my versions of the game got. Prior to HitR, I was between 10-20 FPS (ie, annoying). After HitR, it's a steady 20+ FPS, which makes the game eminently playable. I know that high end systems can run 60+ FPS, but that's utterly irrelevant to me (until I replace my current kit, which looks like 2-3 years down the road): OFF runs great - now.

My only fear with OFF P4 is that I'll buy it and find that I can't run it to my satisfaction on my existing rig.

Yup, me too...would be nice if the devs kept in some lower-detail options, whereby we could run it at P3 quality and FPS, while getting the benefit of the new planes and as much else as we can, without finding we need an upgrade we can't readily manage for a while.

Hopefully the required specs, if not the Full Monty, will be out before Xmas, so I can see what kit I'll need and get the letter to Santa written in good time, and/or start planning the bank robbery :blink:

Edited by 33LIMA

Glad you so enjoy HitR. I myself can't even remember what OFF was like without it :drinks: